How can a NAND gate be used as a NOT gate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of NAND gates and their relationship to NOT gates. The participants also debate the correctness of two different truth tables, ultimately concluding that both tables are correct and there is only one solution for the input-output combinations.
moenste

Homework Statement

(a)

bba80517b798.jpg

e0bf5a3cb5c2.jpg

The diagram represents a NAND gate with two inputs, T1 and T2, and an output X. Copy the truth table above and complete it.

Show how a NAND gate can become a NOT gate.

(b)

681e31fb40ef.jpg

Draw up a truth table for the combination of NAND gates shown above.

2. The attempt at a solution
(a) The truth table:

4e5af0c98874.jpg

A NAND gate is an AND and a NOT gate:

combined_and_not.jpg

(b) First of all, I shall add letters to the graph:

9bc19d6a1af0.jpg

I got two truth tables and not sure which one is correct.

559af6128d28.jpg

Are they both correct in this situation (so the problem has two solutions)? Looks like the answer depends on what combination does one put in the first two columns: 00 10 01 11 or 00 01 10 11 (specifically 10 01 or 01 10).

Physics news on Phys.org
Your truth tables are identical.

I don't see any reason for duplicating column T2. One entry for T2 should suffice.

Likes moenste
NascentOxygen said:
Your truth tables are identical.

I don't see any reason for duplicating column T2. One entry for T2 should suffice.
Are you sure? In the left one the output is 0011 and in the second 0101. Maybe I miss something? This doesn't look identical...

(I assume the (a) part is correct, right? Since you didn't mention it.)

You have swapped 2 rows, that's all.

Likes moenste
NascentOxygen said:
You have swapped 2 rows, that's all.
But the output X is different, or it is acceptable?

In other words both solutions are correct?

moenste said:
But the output X is different, or it is acceptable?

In other words both solutions are correct?
There is only one solution; you have written it out twice.

For each input combination there can be only one output. There are 4 possible input combinations, the order in which you document them in a table does not matter.

Likes moenste
withdrawn

Last edited:
Likes moenste
NascentOxygen said:
There is only one solution; you have written it out twice.

For each input combination there can be only one output. There are 4 possible input combinations, the order in which you document them in a table does not matter.
TomHart said:
I think you may be making this problem harder than it needs to be.
Well, the output in X is different in the tables, so I thought I got it wrong somewhere.

withdrawn

Last edited:
Likes moenste
TomHart said:
How many inputs and outputs does a NOT have?
One input and one output? It's an inverter.

moenste said:
Well, the output in X is different in the tables, so I thought I got it wrong somewhere.
Your outputs are listed in a different order only because the inputs have been listed in a different order.

Likes moenste
NascentOxygen said:
Your outputs are listed in a different order only because the inputs have been listed in a different order.
So in sum: both tables are correct and both solutions are acceptable?

There is only one solution: the set of 4 outputs for 4 unique input combinations. Whatever way you tabulate these 4 lines is correct.

Likes moenste

1. What is a NAND gate?

A NAND gate is a type of logic gate that produces an output of 0 only when all of its inputs are 1. Otherwise, it produces an output of 1. It is represented by the symbol ⊥ and is a fundamental building block in digital logic circuits.

2. How does a NAND gate work?

A NAND gate works by using transistors to perform logical operations on its inputs. It has two or more input terminals and one output terminal. The output is determined by the logical operation of negation (NOT) performed on the AND operation of all the inputs. In simpler terms, the output of a NAND gate is the opposite of what an AND gate would produce.

3. What is a truth table and how is it used for NAND gates?

A truth table is a table that shows all the possible input combinations and their corresponding outputs for a logic gate. For a NAND gate, there are four possible input combinations: 0 0, 0 1, 1 0, and 1 1. The output for each combination can be determined by applying the logical operation of negation (NOT) on the AND operation of the inputs. This allows us to easily understand and analyze the behavior of a NAND gate for different input combinations.

4. What are the applications of NAND gates?

NAND gates are commonly used in digital electronics and computer science. They are used to build more complex logic gates, such as NOR gates, and are essential in the design of microprocessors, memory units, and other digital circuits. They are also used in Boolean algebra to simplify logical expressions and in programming to implement logical operations.

5. What is the difference between a NAND gate and a NOR gate?

The main difference between a NAND gate and a NOR gate is the arrangement of their inputs and outputs. While a NAND gate produces an output of 0 only when all of its inputs are 1, a NOR gate produces an output of 1 only when all of its inputs are 0. In terms of logic, a NAND gate is the negation of an AND gate, and a NOR gate is the negation of an OR gate. However, both NAND and NOR gates can be used to implement any logical function.