Need some clarification with torque or force and gear ratio

In summary, gear ratio, sprocket or wheel ratio is a method of increasing torque by connecting a smaller sprocket with a larger one, resulting in a slower RPM but greater pulling force. By adding a smaller cylindrical object concentric with the larger sprocket and connecting it to the load with a string, the pulling force can be further increased. This is due to the smaller radius of the object, which results in a greater pulling force. Similarly, in a chain and sprocket system, the torque can be increased by changing the distance between the sprockets, with the chain tension remaining constant.
qpham26
Hi guys, I have a question about gear ratio, sprocket or wheel ratio.

So let's say I have a motor with connect to a small output sprocket, and I want to use this motor to pull some load, so in order to do this I need to connect the chain with a larger sprocket, let's say 2 time bigger than the other. So this increase my torque by 2x while the RPM is 2x less.

Ok, now I want to generate more torque (not sure if I should say force), I don't know how to say this, but I want to stick a cylindrical object, concentric with the larger sprocket, but this cylinder will have a smaller radius (lets say 2x smaller), and a string that will connect this cylinder to the load (like an inner pulley). Would this increase the pulling force 2x as much as just using the larger sprocket?

Thanks and sorry for my lack of terminology.
This is why I can't find the thing I need by searching google =(

Physics news on Phys.org
I want to stick a cylindrical object, concentric with the larger sprocket, but this cylinder will have a smaller radius (lets say 2x smaller), and a string that will connect this cylinder to the load (like an inner pulley). Would this increase the pulling force 2x as much as just using the larger sprocket?

Yes. Consider a winch... The smaller the radius of the drum the greater the pulling force but the slower the wire is wound in.

CWatters said:
Yes. Consider a winch... The smaller the radius of the drum the greater the pulling force but the slower the wire is wound in.

Thanks, and the reason that I get a greater force is because they spin together with the same ω the torque is also the same on both, but the radius is difference right?

and for chain and sprocket, what do they both have? The tangential force is the same right? but the larger sprocket have a bigger radius so it give more torque and slower rpm?

Yes. The basic equation is..

torque = force * distance (eg radius)

Gears on a common axle have same torque so treat that as a constant and you can rearrange it to give..

force = torque/distance

Change the distance (radius of the winch drum) and the force changes.

For sprockets connected by a chain...The chain tension (force) is the same so treat that as a constant..

torque = force * distance

As you change distance (radius of the sprocket) the torque changes.

Hi there, it seems like you are asking about the relationship between torque, force, and gear ratio. Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object, while force is a measure of the push or pull applied to an object. Gear ratio is the ratio of the number of teeth on two gears that are connected.

In your case, using a larger sprocket will increase the torque applied to the load, but it will also decrease the rotational speed (RPM) of the motor. This is because the larger sprocket requires more force to turn, but it will also generate more torque.

Adding a cylindrical object with a smaller radius, and connecting it to the load through a string, will also increase the torque applied to the load. This is because the string acts as a lever, increasing the force applied to the load. However, the gear ratio between the motor and the larger sprocket will still play a role in determining the overall torque applied to the load.

In summary, using a larger sprocket and adding a cylindrical object with a smaller radius can both increase the torque applied to the load, but the gear ratio between the motor and the sprockets will also have an impact on the final torque. It's important to consider both gear ratio and additional components when trying to increase torque in a system. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the relationship between torque and gear ratio?

Torque and gear ratio have an inverse relationship - as gear ratio increases, torque decreases, and vice versa. This means that a higher gear ratio allows for more speed, while a lower gear ratio allows for more force or torque.

2. How does gear ratio affect the force produced by a machine?

Gear ratio determines the amount of force or torque that can be produced by a machine. A higher gear ratio means that the machine can produce more force, while a lower gear ratio limits the force that can be produced.

3. Can gear ratio be changed to increase torque or force?

Yes, gear ratio can be changed by adjusting the size of the gears in a machine. Increasing the gear ratio will decrease the speed of the machine but increase the torque or force produced, while decreasing the gear ratio will increase speed but decrease torque or force.

4. How does torque affect the performance of a machine?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that a machine can produce. A higher torque allows a machine to overcome resistance and move heavier loads, while a lower torque may cause a machine to struggle or even stall.

5. Can gear ratio be calculated or measured?

Yes, gear ratio can be calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the driving gear by the number of teeth on the driven gear. It can also be measured by counting the revolutions of the driving gear compared to the revolutions of the driven gear.