Need some help on this question

• Thread starter sstudent1
  • Start date
In summary, to find the location of a third particle on the x-axis where the magnitude of the gravitational force on both particles 1 and 2 doubles, the following steps can be followed: 1. Assume the third particle is located at a distance y from the origin, between particles 1 and 2.2. Use the equation F = G(m1)(m2)/(r^2) to calculate the gravitational force acting on particle 1 due to particles 2 and 3, and set it equal to twice the initial force between particles 1 and 2.3. Repeat the calculation for particle 2, and set it equal to twice the initial force.4. Simplify and solve the resulting equations to obtain
sstudent1

Homework Statement

Two particles are located on the x axis. Particle 1 has a mass m and is at the origin. Particle 2 has a mass 2m and is at x=+L. Where on the x-axis should a third particle be located so that the magnitude of the gravitational force on BOTH particles 1 and particle 2 doubles? Express your answer in terms of L.

Homework Equations

F = G(m1)(m2)/(r^2)
I know ur suppose to us the above equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the F between particle 1 and 2 to be = (G)(2(m)^2)/(L^2) and the F between 2 and 1 is the same magnitude but negative. So then place particle 3 on the x-axis at point X. so then now i am kind of stuck. Is the new force of particle 1 with the addition of particle 3 equal to = F btwn. particle 1 and 2 + F btwn. particle 1 and 3.

edit: also i assigned the mass of particle 3 as m2. So the mass of particle 3 is different then of particle 1 and 2.
Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you would get something like:
[tex]{F}_{on\_A}={F}_{AC}+{F}_{AB}[/tex]
[tex]{F}_{on\_B}={F}_{BC}+{F}_{AB}[/tex]
[tex]{F}_{on\_A}=2\,F[/tex]
[tex]{F}_{on\_A}={F}_{on\_B}[/tex]

kinda that

Ok yeah so u set 2F = Fac + Fab. But doesn't the Fa = Fab. The force between particle A and B (1 and 2). Rite?

A=1
B=2
C=3
rite?

mmm rootX left mre more confused then before! help!

Before:
The gravitational force acts on 1 and 2 are the same = x

After:
The gravitational force acts on 1 = The gravitational force due to 3 AND 2. = y

The gravitational force acts on 2 = The gravitational force due to 3 AND 1. = z

Therefore :

y = 2x AND z = 2x since the new force acting on both the particles 1 and 2 are doubled of before.

Answer: -L plus minus (square root of 2) *L ( if i am on the right track)

Leong said:
Before:
The gravitational force acts on 1 and 2 are the same = x

After:
The gravitational force acts on 1 = The gravitational force due to 3 AND 2. = y

The gravitational force acts on 2 = The gravitational force due to 3 AND 1. = z

Therefore :

y = 2x AND z = 2x since the new force acting on both the particles 1 and 2 are doubled of before.

Answer: -L plus minus (square root of 2) *L ( if i am on the right track)

ahh no i don't think so. the book says the answer is .414L but i don't know how to get it ...

any help guys

yep, I got it! :D

so, using the information provided, you will end up with:

F(between A and C) = F(between A and B)
I didn't simplify further in the previous post, and above is what you get after further simplications.

and, C can be to the right of B, or inbetween A and B, or to the left of A.

Case I:
C----A----B
Case II:
A---C-----B
Case III:
A----B----C

you know mass of A=0.5 times mass of B,
and net force on A is equal to force on B,
and now, find thr right case, and solve the problem!

Last edited:
think of electric charges, and that static electric forces, if you are good at them

Before:
The gravitational force acting on the 1 and 2 are the same:
[tex] F_{initial}=\frac{Gm*2m}{L^2}[/tex]

After: Let's assume that particle 3 is put between 1 and 2 and is +y from the origin and its mass is m3.
Then,
The gravitational force that acts on 1 = The one due to 2 AND 3.
Since 2 and 3 are at the right of 1. 2 and 3 will pull 1 in the same direction which means the gravitational force that acts on 1 is the SUM of the two gravitational forces due to 2 AND 3.

[tex] F_{1}= F\ due\ to\ 2 + F\ due\ to\ 3[/tex]
[tex]F_{1} = \frac{Gm*2m}{L^2} + \frac{Gm*m_{3}}{y^2}[/tex]
[tex] But\ F_{1} = 2*F_{initial}, therefore,

\frac{Gm*2m}{L^2} \ + \frac{Gm*m_{3}}{y^2} = 2*\frac{Gm*2m}{L^2}[/tex]
Simplify:
[tex]m_{3}=\frac{2my^2}{L^2}[/tex]

Repeat the same thing for F2, at the end, you will have two equations in terms of m3 and y. Then solve for y. The one above is one of them.

Leong said:
Before:
The gravitational force acting on the 1 and 2 are the same:
[tex] F_{initial}=\frac{Gm*2m}{L^2}[/tex]

After: Let's assume that particle 3 is put between 1 and 2 and is +y from the origin and its mass is m3.
Then,
The gravitational force that acts on 1 = The one due to 2 AND 3.
Since 2 and 3 are at the right of 1. 2 and 3 will pull 1 in the same direction which means the gravitational force that acts on 1 is the SUM of the two gravitational forces due to 2 AND 3.

[tex] F_{1}= F\ due\ to\ 2 + F\ due\ to\ 3[/tex]
[tex]F_{1} = \frac{Gm*2m}{L^2} + \frac{Gm*m_{3}}{y^2}[/tex]
[tex] But\ F_{1} = 2*F_{initial}, therefore,

\frac{Gm*2m}{L^2} \ + \frac{Gm*m_{3}}{y^2} = 2*\frac{Gm*2m}{L^2}[/tex]
Simplify:
[tex]m_{3}=\frac{2my^2}{L^2}[/tex]

Repeat the same thing for F2, at the end, you will have two equations in terms of m3 and y. Then solve for y. The one above is one of them.

ok yeah thx. at the end i get 2y^2 = (L-y)^2. How do i solve for y?

edit: nvm i got it. Thx for the help!

1. What does "Need some help on this question" mean?

"Need some help on this question" is a phrase commonly used when someone is seeking assistance or guidance on a particular question or problem. It implies that the person is struggling to find the answer on their own and is looking for support from others.

2. Can you provide more context to your question when asking for help?

It is helpful to provide additional information or background context when asking for help on a question. This can give others a better understanding of the problem and allow them to provide more accurate and relevant assistance.

3. How can I ensure that I am not plagiarizing when asking for help on a question?

To avoid plagiarism, it is important to clearly state the sources you are using when seeking help on a question. This can include citing your references or indicating where you got the information from. It is also important to paraphrase and put the information into your own words rather than copying it directly.

4. What are some effective ways to ask for help on a question?

When asking for help on a question, it is important to be clear and specific about the problem you are facing. You can also provide any attempts or strategies you have already tried in order to avoid receiving the same suggestions. It is also helpful to be polite and respectful when asking for assistance.

5. How can I become better at solving questions on my own without needing help?

Becoming better at solving questions on your own requires practice and persistence. It is important to understand the underlying concepts and principles, and to continuously challenge yourself with new questions. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or teacher who can provide tips and strategies for problem-solving.