How Do You Solve Second Order Partial Derivatives at Critical Points?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the second partial derivatives of the function f(x,y)= 8x^{4} + y^{4} -2xy^{2}, when the first partial derivatives with respect to x and y are both equal to zero. This leads to a system of equations, which can be solved to find the points where both first partial derivatives are zero. The solution includes the points (0,0), (0.25,0.5), and (0.25,-0.5), as well as imaginary solutions for x=-0.25. The second partial derivatives are also calculated for each of these points.
astenroo

Homework Statement

Let f(x,y)= 8x[tex]^{4}[/tex] + y[tex]^{4}[/tex] -2xy[tex]^{2}[/tex], what is [tex]\partial^{2} f[/tex]/[tex]\partial x^{2}[/tex] and [tex]\partial^{2} f[/tex]/[tex]\partial y^{2}[/tex] for the points where [tex]\partial f[/tex]/[tex]\partial x[/tex] = [tex]\partial f[/tex]/[tex]\partial y[/tex] = 0?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first partial derivative with respect to x: is 32x[tex]^{3}[/tex] - 2y[tex]^{2}[/tex]
and the second with respect to x is: 96x[tex]^{2}[/tex]

The first with respect to y is: 4y[tex]^{3}[/tex] - 4xy
The second with respect to y is: 12y[tex]^{2}[/tex] - 4x

And this is where I get stuck. I have no clue of how to continue from here, and I have tried to find rules for this kind of operation in Boas Mathematical methods in the physical sciences... Maybe I have the wrong literature...

Physics news on Phys.org
You found

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = 32x^3-2y^2, ~\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = 4y^3-4xy.[/tex]

Can you find the points where they are both zero?

fzero said:
You found

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = 32x^3-2y^2, ~\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = 4y^3-4xy.[/tex]

Can you find the points where they are both zero?

This is actually where I got stuck. I should put them both equal to zero, and i believe i would end up with an equation system with two unknowns?

Last edited:
but solving for either seems to be a bit complex...

So, no. I can't find the points where they are both zero. Not without help.

So we got the system

[tex]
\left\{ \begin{array}{l}
16x^3=y^2\\
y^3=xy
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]

If y is zero, then from the first equation follows that also x is zero. So (0,0) is a solution.
If y is nonzero, then we got the equation

[tex]
\left\{ \begin{array}{l}
16x^3=y^2\\
y^2=x
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]

So we have that [tex] 16x^3=x [/tex]. This gives us x=0 or x=1/4 or x=-1/4. You can now easily see what the corresponding y-values are.

micromass said:
So we got the system

[tex]
\left\{ \begin{array}{l}
16x^3=y^2\\
y^3=xy
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]

If y is zero, then from the first equation follows that also x is zero. So (0,0) is a solution.
If y is nonzero, then we got the equation

[tex]
\left\{ \begin{array}{l}
16x^3=y^2\\
y^2=x
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]

So we have that [tex] 16x^3=x [/tex]. This gives us x=0 or x=1/4 or x=-1/4. You can now easily see what the corresponding y-values are.

Ouch...yep, needed to sleep on it. I recently came up with a similar solution. Thank you very much for the help.

Ok so here goes, if x=0, then y=0 (0;0)
if x=.25, then y=.5 or -.5 (both satisfy the equations) (0.25;-0.5) and (0.25;0.5)
if x=-.25, then y=has only imaginary (or is it complex?) solutions.

For the y''=96x^2=0 for (0;0) and y''=6 if x=0.25

For the other partial:
12y^2-4x= 0 at (0;0)
12y^2-4x=2 at (0.25;0.5)
12y^2-4x=2 at (0.25;-0.5)

Can someone confirm this for me?

micromass said:
Seems alright...

Thank you very much for your help. This is one the best forums ever :)

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a type of mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

2. Why do we use partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives allow us to analyze how changes in one variable affect the overall behavior of a function. They are especially useful for understanding multivariable functions.

3. How do you calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, you take the derivative of a function with respect to one variable, treating all other variables as constants. This can be done using the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and chain rule.

4. Can partial derivatives be used in real-world applications?

Yes, partial derivatives have many real-world applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and analyze systems with multiple variables, such as in optimization and rate of change problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial derivatives?

One limitation of using partial derivatives is that they only give information about the immediate changes in a function at a specific point. They do not provide a complete picture of the overall behavior of a function. Additionally, they may not always exist if a function is not differentiable at a certain point.