Need some help with forces of changed particles (coulomb's Law)

In summary, the book says that there is a force of -1.4*10^-16 N when there are three particles of charge +70, +48, and -80 μC, but my work says that the force is 2.46*10^-16 N.
neonerd
I need somebody to explain to me specifically "Forces of changed particles & Coulomb's Law", which was covered in a class I missed yesterday.

Basically, I know that 8.99 x 10^-9 is a constant used in the beginning of the equation, and then after you put (q1 and q2), which i have no clue what it means, but i know it's the numbers that correspond to the particles , and divide everything by distance ^2

I saw some people use 1.6 x 10 ^-19 for some problems, and the teacher said it was a constant too...I just have no clue when to use this constant, and when not to use it. It was used in some problems, but not in others :confused:

Here's an example of one of the problems we have to do:

Particles of charge +70, +48, and -80 μC are placed in a line. The center one is 0.35 m from each of the others. Calculate the force on each charge due to the other two.

Diagram:

70μC......48μC.....-80μC
O_____________O_____________O
...0.35m....0.35m

I began to understand it with two particles, but 3 completely lost me. I imagine 70, 48, and -80, would be q1, q2, and q3...d would be 0.35m. Would this be a problem where I use 1.6*10^-19?

Physics news on Phys.org
My answer for some reason, comes out completely different from what the book says. Could somebody please do out the work for the first particle?

Here is my work:

F = (8.99*10^-9) (48*10^-6) (70*10^-6) / 0.35^2

which comes out to be: 2.46*10^-16

then F = (8.99*10^-9) (70*10^-6) (-80*10^-6) / 0.7^2

which comes out to be: -3.48*10^-16

And the answer I get it: 1.4*10^-16

Answer in the book says: -1.4*10^2N

Last edited:
charge

q means charge.
1.6*10^19 C is the charge of an electron.
If there are 3 particles just do vector addition for the total force.

ah, I just realized my mistake :)

ke = 8.99 x 10 ^ 9 N/C ... not -9

that fixed it :)

Related to Need some help with forces of changed particles (coulomb's Law)

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does Coulomb's Law relate to forces of changed particles?

Coulomb's Law is specifically used to calculate the force between charged particles, which can be considered as forces of changed particles. It helps to understand the strength and direction of the force between two charged particles based on their charges and distance.

3. What are the units of charge and distance in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of charge is the Coulomb (C), which is a measure of the amount of electric charge. The unit of distance is the meter (m), which is a measure of the distance between the charged particles.

4. How can Coulomb's Law be applied in real-life situations?

Coulomb's Law has many practical applications in fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and chemistry. For example, it is used to understand the behavior of electric charges in electrical circuits and to design and operate devices such as capacitors and batteries.

5. What is the significance of the inverse square relationship in Coulomb's Law?

The inverse square relationship in Coulomb's Law means that the force between two charged particles decreases as the distance between them increases. This is important because it explains why the force between charged particles becomes weaker as they move farther apart, and it also helps to predict the behavior of electric fields in different situations.