How Do You Calculate Deflection in a Simply Supported Overhanging Beam?

In summary, the beam in question is statically unstable, and you are looking to find the deflection equation between the supports.
Rhysmachine
Hey all, first post!

Looking to find a deflection equation for a simply supported overhanging beam with two supports and a point- load at the end of the canteliever. I can determine reactions at the supports but i am having trouble finding deflection between the supports.

Any help is appreciated!

the beam in question looks like (a) in the following picture but if we call L/2 a, instead.

conju2.gif

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is a tricky problem. A simply supported beam with an overhanging load and no other appreciable loading is statically unstable. You have not provided any details about your calculations, so I am unable to comment on their validity. The so-called 'conjugate beam' you show reflects different end conditions from the original beam. The slope and deflection at C for the 'conjugate beam' must both vanish, whereas neither vanish at C for the given beam.

Sorry my mistake; the beam is restrained at A, vertically so I guess the triangle needs to be pointing the other way. The beam is no longer statically unstable now, right?

Ive done a number of calcs intergrating something like: P*a*x/LEI, with a number of variations to find slope then deflection, But I always seem to be ending up with an answer that would be mm^2 instead of mm. I was hoping someone might be able to go through finding the answer for me so I can find the deflection at many points along the A-B section.

Oh and the second example shouldn't be there at all. I just had to find a picture that was something like the problem I have as I couldn't upload my own pic.

I'd solve the beam equation to find the displacement as a function of x or get an approximate solution using virtual work or finite elements.

Hi there,

Deflection equations for overhanging beams can be quite complex, but I can offer some guidance to help you find the deflection between the supports. The deflection equation for a simply supported beam with a point load at the end of the cantilever is:

𝛿 = (PL^3)/(3EI)

Where P is the point load, L is the length of the beam, E is the Young's modulus, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross-section of the beam.

For an overhanging beam with two supports, the deflection equation becomes:

𝛿 = (PL^3)/(48EI)

Where P is still the point load, but L is now the distance between the two supports.

In your case, since the beam is overhanging, the distance between the supports is L/2. So, the deflection equation for your beam would be:

𝛿 = (PL^3)/(48EI)

I hope this helps. If you need any further clarification, please let me know. Good luck with your project!

What is overhanging beam deflection?

Overhanging beam deflection is the amount of bending or sagging that occurs in a beam that is supported on one end and has an overhang on the other end. It is a measure of the displacement of the beam from its original position due to applied loads.

What factors affect overhanging beam deflection?

The amount of overhanging beam deflection is affected by several factors including the length of the beam, the magnitude and location of the applied load, and the material properties of the beam. Other factors such as the support conditions and the type of loading (static or dynamic) can also impact the deflection of the beam.

How is overhanging beam deflection calculated?

Overhanging beam deflection can be calculated using various methods such as the double integration method, the moment-area method, and the virtual work method. These methods use equations and formulas based on the beam's geometry, material properties, loading conditions, and support conditions to determine the deflection at any point along the beam.

What are the practical applications of understanding overhanging beam deflection?

Understanding overhanging beam deflection is crucial in the design and analysis of structures such as bridges, buildings, and other load-bearing structures. It helps engineers and architects determine the appropriate beam size and material to ensure structural stability and safety.

How can overhanging beam deflection be reduced?

To reduce overhanging beam deflection, the length of the beam can be shortened, the load can be distributed over a larger area, or the material properties of the beam can be changed to increase its stiffness. Adding additional supports or using reinforced beams can also help reduce deflection.