Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some help with overhanging beam deflection!

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1
    Hey all, first post!

Looking to find a deflection equation for a simply supported overhanging beam with two supports and a point- load at the end of the canteliever. I can determine reactions at the supports but i am having trouble finding deflection between the supports.

Any help is appreciated!

the beam in question looks like (a) in the following picture but if we call L/2 a, instead.

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

This is a tricky problem. A simply supported beam with an overhanging load and no other appreciable loading is statically unstable. You have not provided any details about your calculations, so I am unable to comment on their validity. The so-called 'conjugate beam' you show reflects different end conditions from the original beam. The slope and deflection at C for the 'conjugate beam' must both vanish, whereas neither vanish at C for the given beam.

4. Apr 22, 2013 #3
    Sorry my mistake; the beam is restrained at A, vertically so I guess the triangle needs to be pointing the other way. The beam is no longer statically unstable now, right?

Ive done a number of calcs intergrating something like: P*a*x/LEI, with a number of variations to find slope then deflection, But I always seem to be ending up with an answer that would be mm^2 instead of mm. I was hoping someone might be able to go through finding the answer for me so I can find the deflection at many points along the A-B section.

Oh and the second example shouldn't be there at all. I just had to find a picture that was something like the problem I have as I couldn't upload my own pic.

5. Apr 22, 2013 #4

jhae2.718

Gold Member

I'd solve the beam equation to find the displacement as a function of x or get an approximate solution using virtual work or finite elements.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted