1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need someone to verify my logic!

1. Sep 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the supremum and infimum of the following sets and test whether these sets have a maximum or minimum:

(a) { |x|/(1+|x|) s.t. x is in R}

(b) { x/ (1+x) s.t. x > -1}

2. Relevant equations

Order Axioms and Field Axioms for the real numbers; infimum and supremum definitions; min and max definitions.

3. The attempt at a solution

I just don't see why these aren't effectively the same in terms of their supremums and infimums, min and max. Since |x|> 0 for nonzero x, |x| will always be positive, so this ratio will always be positive. Furthermore, it follows immediately that |x| < 1 + |x| for the same reason. Since the denominator is always bigger, the ratio is always less than 1. So I would argue that the supremum of (a) is 1. Now since we can include any x in R, the set also contains 0, and none of these can ever be less than 0. So 0 should be the infimum and serve as the minimum element of the set (since it is contained in the set).

Now I can see how (b) would differ for all x in R, but we are now restricting x > -1, i.e.,
    x = 0, ... So it would seem that we have the exact same set - no negative x, the ratio is always less than 1, etc. So wouldn't this be exactly the same? What am I missing, if not?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would think the are very obviously NOT the same. If x= -1.00001, what is x/(x+ 1)?
  4. Sep 5, 2008 #3
    oh yeah, I guess there are a bunch of negative reals between -1 and 0... wow that should have been obvious. I knew I was missing something simple. It always seems to be the case for me in analysis... :grumpy:

since we could go "closer and closer" each time to -1, does that mean that this set doesn't have a lower bound? I mean, if you put in something like -0.99, then we get -0.99/(1-0.99) = -99, but then we could try x= -0.9999 and get something even smaller, and then we could keep going forever.
    I'm sorry if it's trivial.. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?