Can Reducing Pipe Diameter Increase Water Flow Speed in a Gravity-Fed System?

• Thread starter eeiko321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the outflow rate in the small fish pond is determined by the rate at which water enters the blue drum, not the size of the outlet pipe. Increasing the size of the pump would increase the flow rate, but changing the outlet pipe size would not have an impact unless the pump size is also increased. The current setup is working efficiently and there is no need for any improvements.
eeiko321
Hi guys

this has probably been asked before but i can't seem to find something exactly the same.

pics will show you a filter and my small fish pond... water travels up in the blue drum, then up into the overflow which is 4" vertical pipe... then out the side and from 4" to 2" pvc... it doesn't got very far... arppox 17" away.

my question is... could the water be sped up that's fed by gravity? like, would reducing the 50mm to say... a 40mm or 32mm pipe?

its not coming through at a bad rate.. its just that I'm always thinking of ways to make improvements here.

any suggestions or more info... let me know

thanks heaps

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
If I have understood correctly the answer is no. The outflow flow rate appears to be dictated by the rate coming into the blue tank - so speeding up the output by changing from 2" to say 4" won't help.

However if you were to increase the flow rate coming _into_ the blue tank a lot then there might come a point where the 2" outflow pipe can't cope. Then you would see the water level "backing up" in the 2" and then the 4" overflow pipe and eventually the blue tank would overflow. Only at that point would upgrading the output pipe help.

CWatters said:
If I have understood correctly the answer is no. The outflow flow rate appears to be dictated by the rate coming into the blue tank - so speeding up the output by changing from 2" to say 4" won't help.

However if you were to increase the flow rate coming _into_ the blue tank a lot then there might come a point where the 2" outflow pipe can't cope. Then you would see the water level "backing up" in the 2" and then the 4" overflow pipe and eventually the blue tank would overflow. Only at that point would upgrading the output pipe help.

Hi watters

i appreciate your prompt reply.

yes, the blue drum is fed by Pond water to be recycled. it has an inlet about half way of the height, fed by a 4500L submersible pump.

i do understand the fact that, the bigger the pump ...pumping into the blue drum would increase the turnover.

but your saying that the 2" outlet, from the drum to the pond... like decreasing from 50mm (2") to say... a 32mm (1/1/4") flow rate won't be helped ?.

because the common myth surrounding that is what i hear people say about the native amazon BlowPipe theory... where a needle is inserted into a tube and acts as a dart when blown. now if it were a 2" pipe.. the needle will be going nowhere.

but yes, its the rate of water that is coming up from the blue drum into the overflow outlet in the centre...

hmm

Correct. Making the outlet pipe bigger won't improve the flow rate.

At the moment the level in the blue tank stays roughly constant. This means the rate at which water enters and exits the blue tank must be the same. Therefore the limiting factor is the pump not the size of the outlet pipe.

Obviously if you increased the size of the pump it might be necessary to enlarge the outlet pipe as well but at the moment that's not the limiting factor. You can't get more water out then you put in.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you are looking for ways to improve the flow of water in your fish pond. One potential solution could be to increase the diameter of the pipes used for the overflow and outflow. This would allow for a larger volume of water to pass through at a faster rate. Additionally, you could also consider adjusting the angle or positioning of the pipes to optimize the flow. Another option could be to add a pump to help increase the flow of water.

It may also be helpful to research and compare different types of filters to see if there are more efficient options available. Overall, it's great that you are constantly thinking of ways to improve your system and I encourage you to continue exploring different ideas and solutions. I hope this helps!

1. How can I improve my piecework productivity?

In order to improve your piecework productivity, it is important to first analyze your current process. Identify any bottlenecks or areas of inefficiency and come up with a plan to address them. This could involve streamlining tasks, implementing new technology, or reorganizing the workflow. Additionally, setting clear goals and providing incentives for meeting or exceeding them can also help improve productivity.

2. What are some common challenges with piecework and how can I overcome them?

Some common challenges with piecework include difficulty tracking progress, inconsistent quality, and worker burnout. To overcome these challenges, it is important to have a clear system in place for tracking progress and measuring quality, as well as regularly evaluating and adjusting the piecework process. Providing breaks and incentives for meeting goals can also help prevent burnout.

3. How can I ensure fair and accurate piecework compensation?

To ensure fair and accurate piecework compensation, it is important to have a clearly defined and agreed upon method for determining piecework rates. This could involve setting a rate per unit or task, or using a formula based on productivity or quality. Regularly evaluating and adjusting these rates can also help ensure fairness and accuracy.

4. Is there a way to motivate employees to improve their piecework performance?

Yes, there are several ways to motivate employees to improve their piecework performance. Providing incentives for meeting or exceeding goals, acknowledging and rewarding top performers, and offering opportunities for skill development and advancement can all help motivate employees to improve their performance.

5. How can I measure the success of my piecework improvement efforts?

Measuring the success of piecework improvement efforts can be done through various metrics, such as productivity, quality, and employee satisfaction. It is important to establish clear benchmarks and track progress over time. Regularly reviewing and analyzing these metrics can help determine the effectiveness of improvement efforts and identify areas for further improvement.