Need to find the exact velocity value

In summary, the experimenter is looking for a formula to relate the velocity that needs to be applied to the motor to maintain the glass fiber not broken. They also need to find the right tension force value.
bliinkboy
Hi guys :smile:,

Today I am planning to make an experiment. I got the problem in my experiment setup.As you see in picture,I need to know the exactly velocity value to generate the motor.The velocity that applied should be not broken the glass fiber.Is there any formula I can relate with this problem? Addition information, the fiber need to have tension force to maintain its not bending and keep it straight.Hopefully you guys can help me with this problem. I don’t have any idea how to solve it right now. Thanks http://postimg.org/image/ulr6id85n/

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry, but your picture didn't upload properly. :frown:

how do i upload the picture?because I am try put the link,but seem it doesn't work well:cry:

There's an "upload a file" button to the bottom right of the reply box. But photobucket worked...

The way I read the picture, the rollers are pulling the fiber? If you have a specific speed in mind, you just use geometry to determine the rotation rates of the parts of the drivetrain. For example, linear speed divided by diameter of the roller equals rotation rate. Is that enough to get started? (otherwise, we'll need more info, because it is still a bit vague...)

thanks for the reply.Yes,the rollers are pulling the fiber,but to keep the fiber not broken and in straight position,I need to pull it followed by the right tension force.i have the tension force value,but how I do I find the right velocity in order to get the tension force value,and then set up the value in motor to keep it function,btw “linear speed divided by diameter of the roller equals rotation rate”,can u give me some example in calculation or any formula? really thanks for this help

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of how quickly an object changes its position. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

While velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, they are actually two different concepts. Speed only measures the magnitude of an object's motion, while velocity also takes into account the direction of the motion.

3. Why is it important to find the exact velocity value?

Finding the exact velocity value is important in many scientific and engineering applications. It can help us understand the motion of objects, predict their future positions, and design systems that rely on precise velocities, such as airplanes and rockets.

4. How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) of an object by the time it took for that change to occur. It can also be calculated by multiplying the object's speed by the cosine of the angle between its direction of motion and a reference direction.

5. What units are used to measure velocity?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) in the SI system. Other common units include kilometers per hour (km/h) and miles per hour (mph). In some cases, scientists may also use units such as feet per second (ft/s) or centimeters per second (cm/s).