Need to learn about semiconductors

In summary, a book on semiconductors is necessary to have for a talk on the topic. It is recommended that a book focusing on modern device physics be read in order to understand the basics of semiconductor structures.
LeonhardEuler
Gold Member
Hello everyone. Does anyone know of a good book that explains semiconductors? I specifically need to know about band theory and how semiconductors work. I am giving a talk in two weeks and want to really know my stuff. I'm willing to spend a lot of time to learn this stuff well. Can anyone recommend a book or two?

Physics news on Phys.org
Question. How familiar are you with with quantum mechanics. If so I reccomend picking up a solid state physics book to learn about semiconductors. If your not familiar with quantum mechanics I'd reccomend getting a semiconductor book geared towards undergraduate electrical engineering students...
Try:
Solid State Electronic Devices (5th Edition) by Ben Streetman this is very basic

the literature world is filled with semiconductor books geared towards engineers. I am sure you won't have trouble finding one.

Best Regards

Modey3

Modey3 said:
Question. How familiar are you with with quantum mechanics.
I know wave mechanics fairly well (one semester of modern physics and two of physical chemistry) and I've begun learning the linear algebra formalism somewhat. Do you think this is enough to understand a solid state physics book? Even if it isn't, which book would you recomend? I would just like to see what I need to know to understand this stuff and I was hoping this would be an opportunity to learn QM better. Thanks a lot for your help.

You're giving a talk in two weeks, and want to know semiconductor physics well? A good education on device physics is at least a year's worth of material. The analysis and design of actual production structures might take another two years.

You really need to narrow down the focus of your talk to something you actually could learn in two weeks.

- Warren

You might be able to learn how a pn junction works in two weeks, without any appeal to the underlying quantum mechanics. IMO, a bipolar junction transistor is really out of your reach in only two weeks.

- Warren

LeonhardEuler,

Try Elementary Solid State Physics by M Ali Omar . If you have a backgound in P-Chem you should be able to understand the material. I believe that book is the best undergrad solid state physics book around. It describes band theory in both a qualitative and quantitative way. You don't need to know how to calculate a band structure to understand the fundamentals of band theory. I would just focus on the qualitative stuff if the quantum mechanics gets confusing. Before I started doing band structure calculations that's how I initially learned band theory.

Best Regards

Modey3

Look at either Yu and Cardona or Chuang, both have the material you will need to know for device physics using semiconductors. What is your talk on and we can taylor the reference material to support it...

Dr Transport said:
Look at either Yu and Cardona or Chuang, both have the material you will need to know for device physics using semiconductors. What is your talk on and we can taylor the reference material to support it...
The talk is going to be about 15 minutes long and be about work functions, pn junctions, band gaps and density of states.

Chroot- Sorry I wasn't clear about what this talk was for. I have to give this talk for a class I'm taking. I'm supposed to learn about this stuff on my own and then give a talk about it to be graded. Nobody is expecting me to know this stuff well already.

Thanks for your help. I already picked up the Streetman book from the library and it is helpful. I will head back to see if I can find the books Dr Transport mentioned or the other one Modey3 mentioned.

The first three chapters of Chuang will be really helpful for your talk...

Thanks everyone. I think I have enough to work with.

An addition to your library list :

S. M. Sze, Physics of Semiconductor Devices, Ch. 1 & 2

You're probably not in India, there's this book INTRODUCTION TO SEMICoNDUCTORS by RD Sharma. Its good.

1. What is a semiconductor?

A semiconductor is a material that has electrical conductivity between that of a conductor and an insulator. This means that it can conduct electricity, but not as easily as a metal, and it can also block or regulate the flow of electricity, unlike an insulator.

2. How are semiconductors used in technology?

Semiconductors are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including computers, smartphones, TVs, and solar panels. They are essential components in transistors, which are used to amplify and switch electronic signals, and in integrated circuits, which are used to store and process digital information.

3. What is the band gap in a semiconductor?

The band gap in a semiconductor is the energy difference between the valence band (where electrons are bound to atoms) and the conduction band (where electrons are free to move and conduct electricity). This gap determines the material's ability to conduct electricity and is an important factor in its use as a semiconductor.

4. How are semiconductors made?

Semiconductors are typically made from silicon, which is purified and then doped with impurities to create the desired electrical properties. This process involves growing a crystal of silicon and then adding impurities, such as boron or phosphorus, to create the desired type of semiconductor (p-type or n-type).

5. What are some current developments in the field of semiconductors?

Some current developments in the field of semiconductors include the use of new materials, such as gallium nitride, which have better electrical properties, and the development of new manufacturing processes, such as 3D printing, to create more efficient and customizable semiconductors. There is also ongoing research into quantum computing, which uses the principles of quantum mechanics to process and store information using semiconductors.