1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negation of limit definition

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to show that a sequence does not have a limit, so that would mean proving the negation of the limit definition is true, right? Is this a correct negation of the definition of what it means for a sequence to have a limit?

2. Relevant equations

The definition of the limit of a sequence [tex](x_n)[/tex].
    The sequence [tex](x_n)[/tex] converges to [tex]L[/tex] if given [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex], [tex]\exists K(e) \in \mathbb{N} \ni[/tex] if [tex]n > K(e)[/tex], then [tex]|x_n-L| < \epsilon[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

The limit of a sequence [tex](x_n)[/tex] is not L if [tex]\exists \epsilon > 0 \ni \forall K \in \mathbb{N}[/tex], [tex]\existsn \in \mathbb{N} \ni n > K \ni |x_n - L| \geq \epsilon[/tex].

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think that is right, except it seems as if you have used too many N's, \in's or \ni's.

4. Sep 20, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not if by "if [itex]n> K(e)[/tex] then [tex]|x_n_L|< \epsilon[/itex] you mean "for all n> N(e).
    That only has to be true for some n> Ke)

5. Sep 20, 2007 #4
    Yes, it all seems right now I guess. Thanks! and oh yeah, i guess while editting, i left in a few extra symbols...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?