Can Negative Direct Variation be Considered Direct Variation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of direct variation and the confusion surrounding it. The speaker defines direct variation as the ratio of y to x being fixed with y=kx, and questions various online sources that state that as y increases, so does x or vice versa. The speaker argues that this is incorrect and provides an example with a negative constant of proportionality, where y decreases as x increases. The expert confirms that a negative constant of proportionality can still show direct variation and notes the confusion surrounding this concept in online resources.
ebits21

Homework Statement

Alright, so I just want some clarification on direct variation, since it seems that every internet source I can find is (seemingly to me) wrong.

To me, direct variation means that the ratio of y to x is fixed with y=kx where k is the constant of proportionality.

Various sources online say that this means as y increases so does x or as y decreases so does x. BUT, I think this is wrong for the following reason.

If k is negative such that y=-kx, then as x increases y will DECREASE. However, if you take a bunch of co-ordinates and find the proportion of y to x, you get a negative constant (-k). Therefore they must be directly proportional. I think of this as a negative slope to a line, the line shows that the co-ordinates are proportional, but as x increases, y decreases.

So am I correct? Can the constant of proportionality k be negative and show direct variation? If not why not?

Homework Equations

y=kx, y=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

(see above)

Physics news on Phys.org
"Can the constant of proportionality k be negative and show direct variation?"

Yes. Y is directly proportional to x if there is a constant k such that Y = kX. NO mention need be made of whether k is positive or negative.

Alright, thanks for the help! There seems to be an awful lot of technically incorrect online resources on this. :P

Related to Can Negative Direct Variation be Considered Direct Variation?

What is negative direct variation?

Negative direct variation is a mathematical relationship between two variables where an increase in one variable results in a decrease in the other variable at a constant rate.

How is it different from positive direct variation?

Negative direct variation is the opposite of positive direct variation, where an increase in one variable results in an increase in the other variable at a constant rate.

What is the equation for negative direct variation?

The equation for negative direct variation is y = k/x, where y and x are the two variables and k is the constant of variation.

How can negative direct variation be represented graphically?

Negative direct variation can be represented by a hyperbola on a graph, with one variable on the x-axis and the other on the y-axis.

What are some real-life examples of negative direct variation?

Some real-life examples of negative direct variation include the relationship between speed and travel time, as the faster you travel, the less time it takes to reach your destination. Another example is the relationship between the number of workers and the time it takes to complete a task, as the more workers you have, the less time it takes to complete the task.