Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nerdy sports

1. Jul 13, 2018 at 9:11 AM #1

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Nerds are usually considered bad in sports. But in some sports, they seem to be in fact better than average population. For instance, it seems to me that they like mountaineering and climbing more than average population. What are your experiences?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2018 at 10:43 AM #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think you might be onto something. In high school I was probably considered by many to be a nerd, although that term wasn't invented until some years later. The only sport I went out for was cross-country, which I barely participated in. In 9th grade, when 10-speed bicycles first began to be produced and imported, I got one, and immediately rode it down to the beach and back, about an 80 mile round trip. Not long after than, I did another fairly long ride of something over 100 miles.

Also, I have been an avid hiker and backpacker since my teen years, and took up mountaineering and rock-climbing in my college years. I've never been much interested in team sports per se. The activities I'm listing are usually done accompanied by others, but aren't what would be considered team sports.

I'm currently in my 70's and haven't done much actual peak-bagging for the past few years, but I'm extremely active in backpacking trips, covering anywhere from 20 to 55+ miles, usually in mountainous terrain, and sometimes requiring the use of an ice ax.

As further evidence, my usual hiking buddy is equally nerdy, with a similar climbing history.

4. Jul 13, 2018 at 8:24 PM #3
    I read that half (I think the number was 47%) of ultramarathoners have graduate degrees. Most ultramarathons are 50 to 100 miles, and some are longer. Check out the Badwater 135 for some serious hard core endurance.

5. Jul 14, 2018 at 1:04 AM #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

6. Jul 14, 2018 at 3:21 PM #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My daughter is definitely a nerd. From Why Fathers Get Gray Hair:
    fear2-jpg.jpg
    fear1-jpg.jpg

7. Jul 14, 2018 at 8:32 PM #6
    I’m a nerd but I have always been pretty active in sports. I am in my 5th year as a competitive gymnast and I’m preparing to test for my red belt in tae kwan do.

8. Jul 14, 2018 at 11:19 PM #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good luck with testing. My daughter also is into tae kwan do (holds a 4th degree black belt). Here's a pic of her.
    Pilsung tattoo.jpg

9. Jul 15, 2018 at 1:23 AM #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re climbing I think you are spot on. For example, there are many climbs that have names from Lord of the Rings. And, in general in the UK and US the naming of climbs has a clearly nerdy influence.

There's also a distinctly obsessive quality to climbing. It simplifies life to three elements: climb, eat, sleep; repeat!

That said, there are climbers of all types, but definitely it seems to have an attraction as a physical activity for the nerdy type.

10. Jul 15, 2018 at 1:03 PM #9
    Thank you.

Wow, 4th degree is really impressive.

11. Jul 15, 2018 at 3:54 PM #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Why does she have the Chinese character for soup tattooed on her?

12. Jul 15, 2018 at 6:15 PM #11

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually it means Pli Sung which translates as “I am confident of certain victory.”

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted