Enhancing Magnetic Fields: Series vs. Parallel Configurations

In summary: Click on the link for a discussion of how magnetic fields can be nested or combined to create even stronger fields. In summary, this article discusses how electromagnetic coils can be combined to create even stronger fields.
jerich1000
Restrictors and capacitors can be put in series or in parallel to amplify their affects.

Hydraulic pistons and pumps can be put in series to intensify pressure. Springs can be put in parallel or in series to come up with alternate, combined properties.

However, I can't think of a case where magnetic fields are somehow nested or added together to make a stronger inner field.

Is it possible to put a magnetic field within a magnetic field, nested in such a way that the inner field is amplified? Or is this not how magnetic fields work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
jerich1000 said:
However, I can't think of a case where magnetic fields are somehow nested or added together to make a stronger inner field.
It's extremely common. Haven't you ever seen an electromagnetic coil?

Rodin coil? (though he's not a scientist of any degree)
Polywell
Robert bussards interstellar funel

MisterX, I know about electromagnetic coils.

If a medium-sized electromagnetic coil were put inside a larger electromagnetic coil, and if a smaller electromagnetic coil were put inside the medium sized coil, then would the three magnetic fields be additive?

If so, what would be the eventual limit?

Somehow I doubt that they're additive. But, I'm not an electrical engineer, so I'm asking people much smarter than I on this subject. (that would be you)

Thanks

What does amperes law say, The B field is proportional to the current enclosed, so if I wrap my solenoid with 2 wraps I will double the amount of enclosed current in my Amperian loop.

jerich1000 said:
MisterX, I know about electromagnetic coils.

If a medium-sized electromagnetic coil were put inside a larger electromagnetic coil, and if a smaller electromagnetic coil were put inside the medium sized coil, then would the three magnetic fields be additive?

If so, what would be the eventual limit?

Somehow I doubt that they're additive. But, I'm not an electrical engineer, so I'm asking people much smarter than I on this subject. (that would be you)

Thanks

Yes they add. Just as you are imagining. No hidden secrets!
In fact electromagnetic coils prodcue magnetic filed by additive action of each single turns (which behave as single turn coils by themselves)

Hum, the ultimate limit? Maybe this (check the fun fact) http://www.bigshotcamera.org/sections/fun/buildables/electromagnetism/electromagnet.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Click on the audio/visual slide show at the bottom of the page for a 9-minute presentation on the world's strongest nested-coil electromagnet (45 Tesla).

http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/usershub/scientificdivisions/dcfield/hybrid/index.html

FAQ: Enhancing Magnetic Fields: Series vs. Parallel Configurations

1. What are nested magnetic fields?

Nested magnetic fields refer to a phenomenon where multiple magnetic fields exist within each other. This occurs when a stronger magnetic field surrounds a weaker one, creating a nested or layered effect.

2. How are nested magnetic fields formed?

Nested magnetic fields can be formed through various processes, such as the interaction of multiple magnetic fields, the rotation of a magnetic object, or the motion of charged particles within a magnetic field.

3. What are the applications of nested magnetic fields?

Nested magnetic fields have several applications in different fields of science and technology. They are used in the production of magnetic fields for medical imaging, particle accelerators, and controlling plasma in fusion reactors.

4. What are the effects of nested magnetic fields on the surrounding environment?

Nested magnetic fields can have both positive and negative effects on the surrounding environment. They can help protect the Earth from solar radiation and cosmic rays, but they can also cause disruptions in communication and navigation systems.

5. Can nested magnetic fields be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, nested magnetic fields can be manipulated or controlled through the use of electromagnets, superconductors, and other advanced technologies. This allows scientists to study and utilize nested magnetic fields for various applications.

Back