1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nested Ordered Pair

Tags:
  1. Jan 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    One way of modeling tuples in set theory is through nested ordered pairs. A notation I'm not familiar with (I'm assuming it means that the following elements are nested into the last one) is used. (a1, a2, a2,... an) = (a1(a2, a3,..., an)). I have never seen the second "(" in the latter part of the equation. My question is what is a nested ordered pair? What are its properties? How can the second element in the latter part of the equation, have lots of elements; while, the whole thing still be an ordered pair? Nested generally means something in something, and an ordered pair is a couple or two tuple, but I can't seem to put the two together.

2. Relevant equations
    None that I know of

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've spent about 30 minutes searching and I still can't find a definition.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have never seen that notation before. I have seen the ordered pair defined as the un ordered pair (a, (a, b)).
    The point is simply that the un ordered pair (a, (a, b)) tells you that there are two objects, a and b, and that a is being treated differently from b since it is named twice.

4. Jan 15, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I would guess it means as ##(a_1, (a_2, (a_3, (...))))##. This is an ordered pair. The second element is an ordered pair. The second element of that is an ordered pair...
    Having written that I did a quick search and found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuple#Tuples_as_nested_ordered_pairs. This adds the interesting clean-up of making the the innermost ordered pair ##(a_n, \phi)##, which is neater than finishing with ##(a_{n-1}, a_n)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted