Net electric field question almost have it but can't get one part of it

In summary, the question involves two fixed charges, -26 µC and +5 µC, separated by 1.3 m. The task is to find the spot along a line through the charges where the net electric field is zero, relative to the positive charge. The formula used is E = k*q/r^2, where k is the Coulomb constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance. After some calculations, the correct answer is found to be 1.02 m, which is the distance from the negative charge to the spot where the net electric field is zero.
itsagulati

Homework Statement

Two charges, -26 µC and +5 µC, are fixed in place and separated by 1.3 m.
(a) At what spot along a line through the charges is the net electric field zero? Locate this spot relative to the positive charge. (Hint: The spot does not necessarily lie between the two charges.)

Homework Equations

E = k*q/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

26e-6k / d^2 = 5e-6k / (1.3 - d)^2

i solved for that and got d = .9037 and d = 2.32 ...since i need them pointing in the same direction its the one that is not between them. i understand that...and it all seems right.

Does anyone get something different?

It is an odd #'d problem so i looked at the question in the book and was able to work it to get the right answers for the book version, but my online #s are different and while i work it very similarly and it all makes logical sense. I get them wrong :(

Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
The question asks for the distance from the positive charge... so this is not 'd'... from your formula d is the distance from the negative charge...

Although your equation is technically correct... I'd advise first finding the region where the field is 0, then choosing your variable appropriately... There was a recent thread on this and Doc Al gave a great explanation.

I saw that and read it and hten posted this one. Based on what i picked up in that thread, I ended up with the above.

However, based on what you said I assume if we drew it out on a line...with the negative charge as our starting point...2.32m out would be what I said was the answer. However, since there is a distance from the negative charge to the positive charge of 1.3m...then 2.32m- 1.3m = 1.02m? Does this sound right?

Thanks!

Last edited:
itsagulati said:
I saw that and read it and hten posted this one. Based on what i picked up in that thread, I ended up with the above.

However, based on what you said I assume if we drew it out on a line...with the negative charge as our starting point...2.32m out would be what I said was the answer. However, since there is a distance from the negative charge to the positive charge of 1.3m...then 2.32m- 1.3m = 1.02m? Does this right?

Thanks!

Yes, 1.02m is right. That's cool... I thought since you used (1.3 - d)^2 instead of (d - 1.3)^2, you were expecting d to be less than 1.3... both equations are the same...

As long as you know what's happening, it's all good.

1. What is the formula for calculating net electric field?

The formula for calculating net electric field is E = k * (Q1/r1^2 + Q2/r2^2 + ... + Qn/rn^2), where E is the net electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of each point charge, and r is the distance between the point charge and the location of the electric field.

2. How do you find the direction of the net electric field?

The direction of the net electric field is determined by the vector sum of the individual electric fields. To find the direction, draw a vector from the point charge to the location of the electric field and use the right-hand rule to determine the direction of the electric field vector. Repeat this for each point charge and then add the individual vectors to find the overall direction of the net electric field.

3. Can the net electric field be negative?

Yes, the net electric field can be negative. This means that the overall direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the individual electric fields. It can also mean that the magnitude of the electric field is decreasing as the distance from the point charge increases.

4. How does distance affect the net electric field?

The distance between a point charge and the location of the electric field has an inverse relationship with the magnitude of the electric field. As the distance increases, the magnitude of the electric field decreases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse square law, meaning that the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the point charge.

5. Can the net electric field be zero?

Yes, the net electric field can be zero. This can happen when the magnitudes of the individual electric fields are equal and opposite, canceling each other out. It can also occur when the distance between the point charges and the location of the electric field is large enough that the strength of the electric field is negligible.