1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net electric field question almost have it but can't get one part of it

1. Sep 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two charges, -26 µC and +5 µC, are fixed in place and separated by 1.3 m.
    (a) At what spot along a line through the charges is the net electric field zero? Locate this spot relative to the positive charge. (Hint: The spot does not necessarily lie between the two charges.)

2. Relevant equations
    E = k*q/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

26e-6k / d^2 = 5e-6k / (1.3 - d)^2

i solved for that and got d = .9037 and d = 2.32 ...since i need them pointing in the same direction its the one that is not between them. i understand that...and it all seems right.

Does anyone get something different?

It is an odd #'d problem so i looked at the question in the book and was able to work it to get the right answers for the book version, but my online #s are different and while i work it very similarly and it all makes logical sense. I get them wrong :(

Any tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

The question asks for the distance from the positive charge... so this is not 'd'... from your formula d is the distance from the negative charge...

Although your equation is technically correct... I'd advise first finding the region where the field is 0, then choosing your variable appropriately... There was a recent thread on this and Doc Al gave a great explanation.

4. Sep 3, 2007 #3
    I saw that and read it and hten posted this one. Based on what i picked up in that thread, I ended up with the above.

However, based on what you said I assume if we drew it out on a line...with the negative charge as our starting point...2.32m out would be what I said was the answer. However, since there is a distance from the negative charge to the positive charge of 1.3m...then 2.32m- 1.3m = 1.02m? Does this sound right?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  5. Sep 3, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Yes, 1.02m is right. That's cool... I thought since you used (1.3 - d)^2 instead of (d - 1.3)^2, you were expecting d to be less than 1.3... both equations are the same...

As long as you know what's happening, it's all good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?