Net Force acting on Earth

In summary: The resultant force is the force caused by the two vectors working together, or the force that the Earth experiences when the Sun and Moon are in a right triangle.The resultant force is the force that is created when the Sun and Moon are in a right triangle.
laxanimal
Hi all,

I've been working on this problem for a long while and just can't get the answer.

When the Earth, Moon, and Sun form a right triangle with the Earth located at the right angle, the Moon is approaching its third quarter. (The Earth is viewed here from above its north pole.) Find the magnitude and direction of the net force exerted on the Earth.

I found the magnitude to be 3.52e22 N but can't figure out what the direction is (been using tan**-1(force exerted by moon/force exerted by sun). Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Independently find the gravitational forces acting on the Earth due to the Sun and Moon. Then add the vectors together, which is in effect a pythagoreas in magnitude because of the right triangle geometry.

Thanks, I found the magnitude, but can't find the direction (the angle clockwise from the ray from Earth to sun) any suggestions?

This is a gravity question I assume, where the forces acting on the Earth are due to the forces of gravitational attraction between the Earth and the Sun/moon.

To find the resultant force acting on the Earth, you found the force caused by the moon, then force caused by the sun. These two forces are perpendicular to each other along the sides of right triangle, so you are able to calculate the resultant using the pythagorean theorem.
But there is another nifty thing you can employ since it is a right triangle, you know that the tangent of the angle is equal to the opposite "leg" of force / the adjacent "leg" of force.
Tan(angle) = opp / adj
or that,
Sin (angle) = opp / resultant, or
Cos(angle) = adj / resultant
Solving for the angle using anyone of these will work.

EDIT:
If you have been using,
tan^-1(force exerted by moon/force exerted by sun)
then your calling the force from the moon the opposite "leg" force, and the force from the sun, the adjacent "leg". The angle you will get would be the angle above the adjacent leg.

Last edited:
Thanks, I guess I don't know what angle I'm looking for. I found all of the angles in the triangle (90, 89.7, 0.328) and none of them work. Any help? Thanks.

One can determine the angle between the resultant force and either the line between the sun and earth, or the line between the moon and earth, the latter line being the tangent to the Earth's orbit based on the problem statement.

I have not evaluated the magnitudes of the forces, but the angles are probably about right. Draw a right triangle, and the resultant vector should be inside the triangle with it's base at the right angle vertex, and the point tilted slightly toward the sun.

what is force acting at right angle should be

Related to Net Force acting on Earth

1. What is net force acting on Earth?

The net force acting on Earth is the sum of all forces acting on the planet, including gravitational, electromagnetic, and other forces. It is responsible for the motion and stability of Earth in space.

2. How is net force calculated for Earth?

Net force on Earth is calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force is equal to the mass of an object multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of Earth, the mass is the planet's total mass and the acceleration is its rate of change in velocity.

3. What is the direction of net force on Earth?

The direction of net force on Earth is towards the center of the planet. This is because the majority of the forces acting on Earth, such as gravity and solar radiation, are centered around the planet's core.

4. What are some factors that can affect the net force on Earth?

Several factors can affect the net force on Earth, including the planet's rotation, its orbit around the sun, and the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies. Additionally, human activities, such as land use changes and pollution, can also impact the net force on Earth.

5. How does the net force on Earth impact its environment?

The net force on Earth plays a crucial role in shaping the planet's environment. It affects the planet's climate, weather patterns, and ocean currents, as well as the distribution of landmasses and the formation of natural features such as mountains and valleys.