Network function for an opamp circuit

In summary, the conversation is about writing a node equation for node 1 in a circuit, taking into account the impedance of a capacitor. The difference between the impedance formulas for a capacitor and an inductor is discussed, and the importance of writing a node equation as a sum of terms that sum to zero is emphasized. The final step is to form the transfer function H(ω) by dividing Vo/Vs.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

upload_2017-3-13_16-48-23.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-3-13_16-51-46.png

upload_2017-3-13_16-52-23.png

I'm really unsure of what to do. I feel like Vs should not be equal to Vo. I am not sure if I have the right idea with the equations that I have written. I am confused because I don't know the value for omega. Can someone help ? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the node equation for node 1 (figure below) knowing that its potential is equal to that of the source voltage. Be careful with the impedance of the capacitor: What's the difference between the impedance formulas for a capacitor and an inductor?

upload_2017-3-13_17-21-44.png

Edit: By the way, the "network function", or "transfer function" is a function of ω, so it will remain as a variable in your result.

gneill said:
Write the node equation for node 1 (figure below) knowing that its potential is equal to that of the source voltage. Be careful with the impedance of the capacitor: What's the difference between the impedance formulas for a capacitor and an inductor?

View attachment 114505

Edit: By the way, the "network function", or "transfer function" is a function of ω, so it will remain as a variable in your result.
upload_2017-3-13_19-18-28.png

would this be the node equation, since the current going into the op amp is 0?

Cocoleia said:
View attachment 114507
would this be the node equation, since the current going into the op amp is 0?
You're right that the current going into the op-amp input is zero. But there are a couple of things wrong with your equation. In the third term you shouldn't have voltage in the denominator when all the other terms are divided by an impedance. The first term is written as a current flowing out of the node, so if the other terms are on the other side of the equals sign they must represent currents flowing into the node. That's not what the order of the voltages in the terms suggest.

To avoid errors by making the process automatic, a good approach is to always write a node equation as a sum of terms that sum to zero. That is, place all the terms on one side of the equals sign and a zero on the other. Choose one direction for the assumed current direction for all the terms, either all into the node or all out of the node, then write all the terms with that one assumption. The math will then take care of the details and you don't have to try to figure out ahead of time what the "real" current directions are.

gneill said:
You're right that the current going into the op-amp input is zero. But there are a couple of things wrong with your equation. In the third term you shouldn't have voltage in the denominator when all the other terms are divided by an impedance. The first term is written as a current flowing out of the node, so if the other terms are on the other side of the equals sign they must represent currents flowing into the node. That's not what the order of the voltages in the terms suggest.

To avoid errors by making the process automatic, a good approach is to always write a node equation as a sum of terms that sum to zero. That is, place all the terms on one side of the equals sign and a zero on the other. Choose one direction for the assumed current direction for all the terms, either all into the node or all out of the node, then write all the terms with that one assumption. The math will then take care of the details and you don't have to try to figure out ahead of time what the "real" current directions are.
upload_2017-3-13_19-53-32.png

Would this be the node equation then? If I assume that the current is entering the node in all three directions. Since it would be Vs-Vo / (1/jwc) the the jwc comes to multiply on top ?

Cocoleia said:
View attachment 114509
Would this be the node equation then? If I assume that the current is entering the node in all three directions. Since it would be Vs-Vo / (1/jwc) the the jwc comes to multiply on top ?
Actually you've written it as all the currents flowing out of the node (the node is at potential Vs, so Vs - Vo would be for a current flowing from Vs to Vo). Looks good. Plug in the capacitor value and solve for Vo.

gneill said:
Actually you've written it as all the currents flowing out of the node (the node is at potential Vs, so Vs - Vo would be for a current flowing from Vs to Vo). Looks good. Plug in the capacitor value and solve for Vo.
Vo=0.2j+5Vs, now can I simply divide them to get the network function ?

Cocoleia said:
Vo=0.2j+5Vs, now can I simply divide them to get the network function ?
That doesn't look right. There should still be ω involved. Can you show more of your work?

gneill said:
That doesn't look right. There should still be ω involved. Can you show more of your work?
Sorry, ignore that it was completely wrong:

Vo=200kwj+5Vs

Cocoleia said:
Sorry, ignore that it was completely wrong:

Vo=200kwj+5Vs
Nope. Show your work.

gneill said:
Nope. Show your work.
upload_2017-3-13_20-45-55.png

Tried to revise it

Much better! You could clear the decimal by multiplying top and bottom by 5:

##V_o = V_s \left( \frac{25 + jω}{5 + jω} \right)##

Now it just remains to form the transfer function H(ω) as described in the problem statement.Edit: Inadvertently wrote ##V_A## instead of ##V_s##. Fixed it.

gneill said:
Much better! You could clear the decimal by multiplying top and bottom by 5:

##V_o = V_A \left( \frac{25 + jω}{5 + jω} \right)##

Now it just remains to form the transfer function H(ω) as described in the problem statement.
Ok, I do so by just dividing Vo/Vs. So in the end there is no more term with Vs ?

Cocoleia said:
Ok, I do so by just dividing Vo/Vs. So in the end there is no more term with Vs ?
Right. H is the ratio of the output to the input and is a function of ω.

Likes Cocoleia

1. What is the purpose of a network function in an opamp circuit?

The network function in an opamp circuit is used to control the overall gain and frequency response of the circuit. It allows for precise control over the output signal and can be used to tailor the circuit's behavior to specific applications.

2. How is the network function typically implemented in an opamp circuit?

The network function is typically implemented using a combination of resistors, capacitors, and/or inductors. These components are strategically placed within the circuit to achieve the desired gain and frequency response.

3. What is the difference between a low-pass and a high-pass network function in an opamp circuit?

A low-pass network function allows low frequency signals to pass through the circuit while attenuating high frequency signals. Conversely, a high-pass network function allows high frequency signals to pass through while attenuating low frequency signals.

4. Can the network function be modified or adjusted in an opamp circuit?

Yes, the network function can be modified by changing the values of the components within the circuit. This can be done by replacing components or by using variable components, such as potentiometers, to adjust the network function in real-time.

5. How does the network function affect the stability of an opamp circuit?

The network function can have a significant impact on the stability of an opamp circuit. Improperly designed network functions can lead to oscillations or instability in the circuit, while a well-designed network function can improve stability and performance.