Troubleshooting Win 2000 and Win 98 Network Access

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Networking
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of accessing a Win 2000 pro computer on a Win 98 network. The person is able to access the Win 98 systems from the Win 2000 computer, but not the other way around. They receive a request for a password, which they have not assigned. They are seeking advice on setting up permissions and creating a user account on the Win 2000 pro computer with the same name and password as the Win 98. This should allow access to the shared drives on the Win 98 machines.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am trying to get a Win 2000 pro computer on my win 98 network. I can get from the win2000 computer to the win98 systems but not the other way. I get a request for a password to acess the 2000 system. I have not assigned this password so I am assuming that I must set up some permissions. So far have not been able to find the magic button.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think it should work if you create a user acount on the Win 2000 pro computer, with the same name and password as you use on the win 98. I would guess that if you do not set the password on the win 98 computer, the password you will be asked is the one you set for the user acount on the Win 2000 pro computer.

Thanks alot, I added users acording to the log in name on the 98 machines, now all have acess to the NT machines shared drives.

1. What is the difference between networking Windows 2000 and Windows 98?

The main difference between networking Windows 2000 and Windows 98 is the underlying architecture. Windows 2000 uses a client-server model, while Windows 98 uses a peer-to-peer model. This means that in a Windows 2000 network, there is a central server that manages and controls access to shared resources, while in a Windows 98 network, all computers have equal status and can access shared resources directly from each other.

2. Can Windows 2000 and Windows 98 computers be networked together?

Yes, it is possible to network Windows 2000 and Windows 98 computers together. However, due to the difference in architecture, some additional configuration may be required. For example, the Windows 2000 computer may need to be set up as a server and the Windows 98 computers may need to be added to a workgroup in order to access shared resources.

3. How do I set up a network between Windows 2000 and Windows 98 computers?

To set up a network between Windows 2000 and Windows 98 computers, you will need to first ensure that all computers are connected to the same network or workgroup. Then, on the Windows 2000 computer, you will need to set up a shared folder or printer and assign appropriate permissions for the Windows 98 computers to access it. On the Windows 98 computers, you will need to add the Windows 2000 computer to the workgroup and then access the shared resources.

4. Can I share files and printers between Windows 2000 and Windows 98 computers?

Yes, it is possible to share files and printers between Windows 2000 and Windows 98 computers as long as they are connected to the same network or workgroup. However, due to the difference in architecture, some additional configuration may be required. For example, the Windows 2000 computer may need to be set up as a server and the Windows 98 computers may need to be added to a workgroup in order to access shared resources.

5. Are there any compatibility issues when networking Windows 2000 and Windows 98?

There may be some compatibility issues when networking Windows 2000 and Windows 98 due to the difference in architecture. For example, certain network protocols or settings may not be compatible between the two operating systems. It is important to ensure that all computers are using the same network protocols and that any necessary updates or patches are installed to avoid compatibility issues.