Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutrino 'Coherence Length'?

1. May 4, 2006 #1
    I was wondering if anybody would be able to explain to me what this means? I can't seem to find out!

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2006 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'd assume it's the same idea as the optical coherence length for photons, but applied to neutrinos.

To quote the most relevant part of the wikipedia entry (there is a lot of fluff)

Note that optical coherence is used in stellar interferometery as well as lasers - the key idea is that photons will have visible interference fringes as long as the difference in path lengths is not too great. The coherence length is a measure of the maximum path length difference at which fringes will still occur.

I would assume that the concept applies in the same manner to neutrinos. Unfortunately, while neutrinos should theoretically interfere with themselves as do photons, it would be a lot harder to verify this via experiment as they interact so weakly.

4. Jul 25, 2010 #3
    Hi Frazzle,
    have a look here

http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/677618/files/p115.pdf

summarizing, the coherent length is the length along the neutrino propagation "during" which the mass eigenstates still overlaps, allowing the occurrence of the neutrino oscillation phenomenon. When the mass auto-functions are turned apart (and this happens because they have different masses, so different momenta which means a difference in speed) the original neutrino is split in separated mass eigenstates. Each one will have a separated propagation, skimming the possibility for the neutrino to oscillate.
    In fact, the oscillation was the effect of different mass states which concurrently summed up to give the linear combination of a neutrino flavor.

Jankry

5. Jul 25, 2010 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

This post is four years old.

6. Jul 25, 2010 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

And frazzle's last activity at all on PhysicsForums was on June 5, 2006, according to his profile.

7. Jul 26, 2010 #6
    yes, when I realized it it was late (submit button pressed already), nevertheless... neutrinos use to oscillate now as well as then, not caring of years.... :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?