How Neutrons Decay to Charged Particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of neutron decay, where a neutron breaks down into a proton, electron, and neutrino. The question of how a neutral particle can produce charged particles is answered by explaining that the net charge of the entire system is still zero due to the conservation of charge. The conversation also mentions the composition of a neutron and the conservation of baryon number and lepton number. Finally, the concept of neutral charge is briefly mentioned.
satrohraj
I was just reading this..
Free Neutron decays into proton, electron and neutrino.

neutron --> proton + electron + v (neutrino)
----
My Question:
Neutron is chargeless. How can it give proton and neutron which are charged ?

(If the question is simple i am sorry, I am new to nuclear physics)

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats not my point..
Can a neutral particle generate charged particle?

That is what happened there..

satrohraj said:
Thats not my point..
Can a neutral particle generate charged particle?

That is what happened there..

This is possible because the net charge of the entire system is still zero. Charge is conserved, so it all works out. I guess that naively, one could think of the neutron as a proton and an electron put together (which would be why neutron has no net charge). If that helps, anyway...

I get it, Thanks.

A neutron is composed of 2 down quarks and 1 up quark. An up quark has a charge of +2/3, while down quarks have a charge of -1/3. In beta decay, a down quark turns into an up quark and emits an electron and a neutrino.

QuantumPion said:
A neutron is composed of 2 down quarks and 1 up quark. An up quark has a charge of +2/3, while down quarks have a charge of -1/3. In beta decay, a down quark turns into an up quark and emits an electron and a neutrino.

Don't forget the virtual W- boson here...

d --> u + W-
W- --> e- + nubar

so that;

n --> p + e- + nubar

(sorry I don't use LaTeX that often) Note that both baryon number and lepton number are conserved here. That is very important...

neutron contains 3 quarks with the charges of 2/3+, 1/3-,1/3- so a -1/3 dcays into a +2/3 releasing a weak carrier particle which in turn decays into electron anti neutrino and a electron.

Edit:Just saw the post above me.But also matter (particle with odd-half spin is conserved.
HOW? Here:
Say fermions were +1 and bosons were 0 and antifermions were -1
the decay would look like this
+1(neutron) -> (proton) +1 and +1 (electron) and -1(antineutrino)
so 1 = 2- -1= 1
hope you understand

if two substances have the same amount of charge, but one positive and one negative, then it has a neutral charge :)

This thread is 3 years old.

Related to How Neutrons Decay to Charged Particles

What is the process of neutron decay?

Neutron decay is the process by which a neutron spontaneously transforms into a proton, an electron, and an antineutrino. This process is also known as beta decay.

Why do neutrons decay?

Neutrons decay because they are unstable particles that have a slightly higher mass than protons. In order to reach a more stable state, they undergo beta decay to release excess energy.

What are the different types of neutron decay?

There are three types of neutron decay: beta-minus decay, beta-plus decay, and electron capture. In beta-minus decay, a neutron converts into a proton, an electron, and an antineutrino. In beta-plus decay, a neutron converts into a proton, a positron, and a neutrino. In electron capture, a proton captures an electron from an inner shell and becomes a neutron.

What are the implications of neutron decay in nuclear reactions?

Neutron decay plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions, as it is responsible for the transformation of one element into another. For example, in nuclear fission, neutrons are released and can cause a chain reaction that releases large amounts of energy.

How is neutron decay studied and observed?

Neutron decay is studied through experiments and observations using various techniques such as beta spectroscopy, neutron activation analysis, and nuclear reaction studies. These methods help scientists understand the properties and behavior of neutron decay and its role in different processes.