New Category wanted (needed?): Philosophy of Physics

• Thread starter Buckethead
  • Start date
In summary, A member has recently discovered a book called "Introduction to The Philosophy of Physics" that has sparked interesting thoughts and suggests creating a forum to discuss similar topics. However, some members are against this idea, believing it will lead to discussions of "woo" and be difficult to moderate. They prefer to stick to topics that can be tested by experiments.
Buckethead
Gold Member
I have just recently been introduced to a really terrific book called "Introduction to The Philosophy of Physics" by Marc Lange and it has opened up a lot of great avenues of thought for me and was thinking it would be equally terrific to have a category available in this forum to discuss such matters. Typical topics might include if magnetic fields are real or just mathematical, spaciotemporal locality, what is the actual nature of time, is time travel into the past really meaningful, and so on. What does everyone think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Opening up PF to discussions of woo under the guise of philosophy would be a mistake.

Likes RaulTheUCSCSlug
Philosophy topics give me hives. I know that there is some legitimate philosophy in the community, but in practice it is impossible to moderate well.

Likes RaulTheUCSCSlug
The problem with philosophy questions of this sort is that there is no way to test any answers by experiment. So discussions of these topics inevitably become endless threads of people restating their positions with no resolution. I'd prefer to stick to topics where there is at least some chance of figuring out who is right and who is wrong.

Buckethead said:
I have just recently been introduced to a really terrific book called "Introduction to The Philosophy of Physics" by Marc Lange and it has opened up a lot of great avenues of thought for me and was thinking it would be equally terrific to have a category available in this forum to discuss such matters. Typical topics might include if magnetic fields are real or just mathematical, spaciotemporal locality, what is the actual nature of time, is time travel into the past really meaningful, and so on. What does everyone think?
NO. We recently closed the philosophy forum due to this kind of crackpottery.

What is the philosophy of physics?

The philosophy of physics is a branch of philosophy that explores the fundamental concepts, principles, and theories of physics. It seeks to answer questions about the nature of reality, the laws of the universe, and the role of physics in our understanding of the world.

Why is the philosophy of physics important?

The philosophy of physics helps us to understand and critically examine the foundations of physics. It also helps us to identify the limitations and potential implications of our current theories and models, and to explore new ideas and theories that may lead to breakthroughs in our understanding of the universe.

What are some key topics in the philosophy of physics?

Some key topics in the philosophy of physics include the nature of space and time, the nature of causality, the role of mathematics in physics, the concept of physical laws, and the relationship between physics and other sciences.

How does the philosophy of physics differ from physics?

The philosophy of physics is a philosophical inquiry into the nature of physics, while physics is a scientific discipline that uses mathematical and experimental methods to study the behavior of matter and energy. While physics focuses on the empirical and mathematical aspects of understanding the universe, the philosophy of physics examines the conceptual and metaphysical aspects.

What are some key figures in the philosophy of physics?

Some key figures in the philosophy of physics include Aristotle, René Descartes, Isaac Newton, Immanuel Kant, and Albert Einstein. Other notable philosophers who have contributed to the field include Ernst Mach, Henri Poincaré, Bertrand Russell, and Niels Bohr.