Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Category wanted (needed?): Philosophy of Physics

1. May 10, 2015 #1

Buckethead

Gold Member

I have just recently been introduced to a really terrific book called "Introduction to The Philosophy of Physics" by Marc Lange and it has opened up a lot of great avenues of thought for me and was thinking it would be equally terrific to have a category available in this forum to discuss such matters. Typical topics might include if magnetic fields are real or just mathematical, spaciotemporal locality, what is the actual nature of time, is time travel into the past really meaningful, and so on. What does everyone think?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Opening up PF to discussions of woo under the guise of philosophy would be a mistake.

4. May 10, 2015 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Philosophy topics give me hives. I know that there is some legitimate philosophy in the community, but in practice it is impossible to moderate well.

5. May 10, 2015 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

The problem with philosophy questions of this sort is that there is no way to test any answers by experiment. So discussions of these topics inevitably become endless threads of people restating their positions with no resolution. I'd prefer to stick to topics where there is at least some chance of figuring out who is right and who is wrong.

6. May 10, 2015 #5

Evo

NO. We recently closed the philosophy forum due to this kind of crackpottery.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook