New Fourier/Laplace and Planetary Motion tutorials

In summary: Your name]In summary, the conversation discusses the addition of tutorials on short Fourier/Laplace analysis and planetary motion to the speaker's website. The speaker highlights the importance of simplifying complex concepts and making them accessible to a wider audience. They also mention their efforts to provide clear and concise presentations by focusing on core concepts and avoiding extraneous information. The conversation concludes with the speaker inviting feedback and expressing their hopes for the usefulness of their resources.
Will Flannery
I've added short Fourier/Laplace analysis and planetary motion tutorials to my web page.

First, the planetary motion page - my thinking is that the three big steps in the intellectual history of the human race are -
1. when we came down out of the trees,
2. when Newton solved the two-body problem and explained planetary motion, and
3. we're waiting for the third step

And yet, I'd never seen even a mention of the two-body problem in my undergraduate/graduate math/engineering education. So I wanted to give as painless a presentation as possible.

I found a clear presentation in the on line notes for a mechanical engineering course by R. Fitzpatrick of Univ. of Texas, and pretty much just pared away all the extraneous (to my purposes) stuff. The result is at

www.berkeleyscience.com/pm.htm

The Fourier/Laplace page is not exactly a tutorial, it is a synopsis for a book on the subject I've written, but I wrote the synopsis first as a guide to myself. I realized from working as an engineer that knowledge of Fourier methods is essential, and yet I knew my understanding of the fundamentals was non-existent, and when I started I was only hoping that an easy way through this theory could be found. I think I found one. First, I included the important proofs because they are essential, incredible, and as it turns out, not difficult. Second, I realized that my brain always flinched and froze when it came across a complex exponential, and I wanted to fully elucidate this subject. Turns out it's better to avoid them altogether, which is what I did, and the result is, I think, my book is MUCH clearer than anything else on the subject (IMO). The lengthy synopsis is at

www.berkeleyscience.com/synopsis4.htm

I welcome any feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org

I am glad to hear that you have added tutorials on short Fourier/Laplace analysis and planetary motion to your website. I understand the importance of simplifying complex concepts and making them accessible to a wider audience.

I agree with your statement about the three big steps in the intellectual history of the human race. It is indeed surprising that the two-body problem, which played a significant role in the understanding of planetary motion, was not mentioned in your undergraduate/graduate education. Your efforts to provide a clear and concise presentation on this topic are commendable.

I have had a chance to go through your website and I must say that the tutorials are well-written and easy to follow. Your approach of paring away the extraneous information and focusing on the core concepts is effective in making the subject less intimidating. I appreciate that you have included important proofs, which are often overlooked in other resources.

Furthermore, your synopsis on Fourier/Laplace analysis is impressive. Your decision to avoid complex exponentials and provide a thorough explanation is a smart move. I believe this will make the subject more approachable for those who struggle with it.

Overall, I think your tutorials and synopsis are valuable resources for those interested in these topics. I will definitely recommend them to my colleagues and students. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to any future updates on your website.

Thank you for sharing your new tutorials on Fourier/Laplace analysis and planetary motion. I appreciate the effort you have put into creating these resources and making them available on your website.

I agree with your statement about the importance of understanding the two-body problem and its role in the intellectual history of the human race. It is concerning that this topic is not commonly taught in undergraduate or graduate education, and I commend you for taking the initiative to provide a clear and concise presentation on it.

Your approach to simplifying the material and focusing on the key concepts is commendable. I believe this will make it more accessible and less intimidating for those who may struggle with complex mathematical concepts. I also appreciate your inclusion of proofs, as they are essential for fully understanding the subject.

Similarly, I am intrigued by your approach to teaching Fourier/Laplace analysis by avoiding complex exponentials. As someone who has also struggled with this topic, I am curious to learn more about your method and how it may differ from traditional approaches. I will definitely take a look at your lengthy synopsis and provide any feedback I may have.

Overall, I am impressed by your dedication to making these challenging topics more understandable for others. I believe your tutorials will be a valuable resource for students and professionals alike. Thank you for sharing your work and I wish you success in your future endeavors.

1. What is the purpose of the New Fourier/Laplace and Planetary Motion tutorials?

The purpose of these tutorials is to introduce and explain the concepts of Fourier/Laplace transforms and planetary motion in a simple and understandable manner. These concepts are important in the field of science and engineering, and these tutorials aim to provide a solid foundation for further learning and application in various fields.

2. Who can benefit from these tutorials?

These tutorials are designed for students and researchers in the fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering who are interested in understanding and applying Fourier/Laplace transforms and planetary motion concepts. However, anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics and physics can also benefit from these tutorials.

3. What makes these tutorials different from others available online?

These tutorials use a combination of text, diagrams, and interactive simulations to explain the concepts of Fourier/Laplace transforms and planetary motion. This helps in better understanding and retention of the material. Additionally, these tutorials provide real-life examples and practical applications of these concepts, making it easier to relate them to everyday scenarios.

4. Are there any prerequisites for these tutorials?

A basic understanding of calculus and trigonometry is recommended for these tutorials. Familiarity with basic physics concepts such as motion, forces, and energy will also be helpful. However, these tutorials are designed to be beginner-friendly and provide explanations and examples for all necessary mathematical concepts.

5. Can these tutorials be used for self-study?

Yes, these tutorials are designed to be self-paced and can be used for self-study. However, it is recommended to also consult textbooks and other resources for a deeper understanding of the concepts. Additionally, practicing problems and simulations provided in these tutorials can aid in better understanding and retention of the material.