1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Fourier/Laplace and Planetary Motion tutorials

1. Mar 15, 2008 #1
    I've added short Fourier/Laplace analysis and planetary motion tutorials to my web page.

First, the planetary motion page - my thinking is that the three big steps in the intellectual history of the human race are -
    1. when we came down out of the trees,
    2. when Newton solved the two-body problem and explained planetary motion, and
    3. we're waiting for the third step

And yet, I'd never seen even a mention of the two-body problem in my undergraduate/graduate math/engineering education. So I wanted to give as painless a presentation as possible.

I found a clear presentation in the on line notes for a mechanical engineering course by R. Fitzpatrick of Univ. of Texas, and pretty much just pared away all the extraneous (to my purposes) stuff. The result is at

www.berkeleyscience.com/pm.htm

The Fourier/Laplace page is not exactly a tutorial, it is a synopsis for a book on the subject I've written, but I wrote the synopsis first as a guide to myself. I realized from working as an engineer that knowledge of Fourier methods is essential, and yet I knew my understanding of the fundamentals was non-existent, and when I started I was only hoping that an easy way through this theory could be found. I think I found one. First, I included the important proofs because they are essential, incredible, and as it turns out, not difficult. Second, I realized that my brain always flinched and froze when it came across a complex exponential, and I wanted to fully elucidate this subject. Turns out it's better to avoid them altogether, which is what I did, and the result is, I think, my book is MUCH clearer than anything else on the subject (IMO). The lengthy synopsis is at

www.berkeleyscience.com/synopsis4.htm

I welcome any feedback.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted