Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New here: need help on Fourier transform of wave-function

1. Aug 3, 2004 #1
    hi, there

hope someone can help me

the task is simple, i have to calculate the Fourier tranform of wave-function to get it in momentum space

the problem is that this is a 4-dimensional space, so the Fourier transform is multi-dimensional

the only idea i have is that this wave-function has a hyperspherical harmonic as its part, so i guees the book of Avery J. 'Hyperspherical Harmonics: Application to Quantum Theory' can help

but i can't get it( has anyone seen it? an electronic version, i can't afford to get a printed version(

also i've read that maybe Fock method can help, but this method is also desribed in the same book(

cheers, Max
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

Did you try using a kernel of the form:

e^(i(pμxμ)/h) = ei(ωt-k.x)?

Is there some reason why you would think this is inappropriate?
  4. Aug 6, 2004 #3
    thank you for your feedback

i do use this kernel to calculate Fourier transform, but the problem is that Schrodinger equation is solved not in ordinal coordinate space but in new 'hyperspherical' coordinates - rho, psi, theta, phi

so when i start to calculate Fourier transform i have to replace x, y, z, t with their expressions in hyperspherical coordinates so the task becomes more complicated

and i hope that Avery's book gives the way how to calculate it
  5. Aug 6, 2004 #4

Homework Helper

Sorry spex.
    I thought you were just asking about the generalization from 1-D to n-D Fourier transform. :redface:

I don't know how to do what you are trying to do, and I know nothing of "Avery's book."
  6. Aug 6, 2004 #5
    ah... damn

do you know anything on Hankel or Watson transform? or any place where i can find more info about them?
  7. Aug 6, 2004 #6

Homework Helper

I've never heard of the Watson transform, but I found a brief table of Hankels on the internet. I think it was on that Mathworld website. I'll see if it can find it again and then post the link.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?