Can You Solve This Math Riddle About Sum and Product of Two Numbers?

In summary, Susie and Paula's teacher gives them two numbers, with Susie receiving the sum and Paula receiving the product. Both numbers are greater than or equal to 2. Susie and Paula have a conversation where they try to determine the two numbers. Ultimately, Susie is able to deduce the numbers based on Paula's statement. However, upon further reflection, it is possible that there could be pairs of numbers that do not follow this pattern. The intended answer to the riddle is that the numbers are 2 and 3.
rkastner
Just for fun and for community participation, I offer the following riddle. The person who answers first (with complete explanation of how the answer is deduced) wins a free copy of Understanding Our Unseen Reality: Solving Quantum Riddles.

Question: Susie and Paula's teacher gives Susie the sum of two numbers. The teacher gives Paula the product of the same two numbers. Both numbers are greater than or equal to 2. While trying to determine the two numbers, Susie and Paula have the following conversation:

Susie: Paula, I don't know what the numbers are.
Paula: I knew you didn't know, but neither do I.
Susie: In that case, I know the numbers!

What are the numbers?

Likes Joosh, jackwhirl and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
The numbers are 3 and 4.
Susie's sum is 7, which she knows could be the sum of (2 and 5) or (3 and 4), but not which.
Paula's product is 12, which she knows could be the product of (2 and 6) or (3 and 4), but not which.
When Paula admits ignorance, Susie knows the answer because if the numbers were 2 and 5, Paula's product would be 10 with only one solution, 2 and 5.

This is a solution. Is it the only one?

Last edited:
Thanks! That is the intended answer to the riddle (which was not my own invention). But on further reflection, I believe there is at least one counterexample to the premise of the riddle. That is, it seems to me that (without further restriction on the range of numbers), there are pairs of numbers whose sum and product do not permit Susie to infer with certainty what the numbers are based only on Paula's statement. I leave that out there in case anyone wants to check for themselves.
Meanwhile, Jackwhirl, please contact me privately to let me know where you'd like the book to be sent!

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the purpose of the "New Math Riddle Competition"?

The purpose of the "New Math Riddle Competition" is to challenge and engage students in problem-solving and critical thinking skills related to mathematics. It aims to promote interest in math and make learning fun and interactive.

2. Who can participate in the "New Math Riddle Competition"?

The "New Math Riddle Competition" is open to all students, from elementary to high school, who have a passion for math and enjoy solving puzzles and riddles. It is also open to students from different schools and countries.

3. How are the winners determined in the "New Math Riddle Competition"?

The winners of the "New Math Riddle Competition" are determined based on their performance in solving the riddles and puzzles given during the competition. The judges evaluate the accuracy and creativity of the solutions provided by the participants.

4. What are the benefits of participating in the "New Math Riddle Competition"?

Participating in the "New Math Riddle Competition" can help students develop their problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and teamwork. It also allows them to apply their math knowledge in a fun and challenging way. Additionally, winners may receive prizes and recognition for their achievements.

5. How can students prepare for the "New Math Riddle Competition"?

Students can prepare for the "New Math Riddle Competition" by practicing solving different types of math problems and puzzles. They can also work on their critical thinking and teamwork skills. It may also be helpful to familiarize themselves with the rules and format of the competition beforehand.