New Orleans disaster predicted in 2001

• News
  • Thread starter Skyhunter
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and the failure of the levee system in New Orleans. It is revealed that the levees were not built to withstand a category 4 hurricane, and that the budget for improving the levees was cut in favor of other priorities, such as homeland security and the war in Iraq. This decision was known to be a risk, but was not addressed until it was too late. The conversation also touches on the lack of media coverage and public outcry, possibly due to the affected area being a predominantly red state. The failure of the levees is attributed to a compromise between cost and quality in government projects, and it is suggested that this could have been avoided if the levees were built to
edward said:
FEMA is a joke. It is a paper tiger full of bureaucrats and their only strong point is rebuilding million dollar houses on unsafe beach front properties.

According to a FEMA director recently on TV, that nobody had told him about reports of bodies floating in New Orleans. Then he chastised the media for not reporting the good news.

It was a rather jovial press conference, apparently. He laughed during it.

FEMA is currently asking concerned citizens to donate money towards Pat Robertson's charity organization.

Physics news on Phys.org
TRCSF said:
FEMA is currently asking concerned citizens to donate money towards Pat Robertson's charity organization.
I hope this is a joke!

Can this be substantiated? In all fairness to the moderators - they keep emphasizing that claims need to be substantiated. It is one thing to express an opinion (believe), it is another matter to present some information as fact.

We need to maintain the scientific (rational) method, even when discussing political matters and world affairs. :smile:

TRCSF said:
According to a FEMA director recently on TV, that nobody had told him about reports of bodies floating in New Orleans. Then he chastised the media for not reporting the good news.

It was a rather jovial press conference, apparently. He laughed during it.

I watched the interview on Fox news. This guy Mike somebody from FEMA was saying what a brilliant job they were doing and how everything was rosy. Next Fox switched to live reports from reporters on the scene and they were saying it was an unmitigated disaster. People starving, no fresh water and no aid arriving at all for the vast majority of people. Thousands stranded on Interstate 10 with nowhere to go whilst many others are still cut off by the floods. Back in the studio they struggled to hide the incompetence of the federal gov't with comments like "nat'l guard troops are now flooding into the area with 1,400 in Louisiana alone." 1400 is a flood?

Astronuc said:
I hope this is a joke!

I wish it was.

http://www.fema.gov/press/2005/katrinadonations.shtm

It sure sounds like a joke. But no, FEMA is directing donors to Operation: Blessing, the "charitable" organization that mostly spends its donations on buying airplanes for Robertson's privately-owned African mining operations.

I couldn't make that up if I tried.

If I were making something up, it would probably be something like how the FEMA director said that they're mobilizing the Boy Scouts of America for disaster relief.

Unfortunately I don't have much of a sense of humor.

The guy from FEMA actually said that at the press conference. They're mobilizing Boy Scouts.

I'm not kidding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Art said:
I watched the interview on Fox news. This guy Mike somebody from FEMA was saying what a brilliant job they were doing and how everything was rosy. Next Fox switched to live reports from reporters on the scene and they were saying it was an unmitigated disaster. People starving, no fresh water and no aid arriving at all for the vast majority of people. Thousands stranded on Interstate 10 with nowhere to go whilst many others are still cut off by the floods. Back in the studio they struggled to hide the incompetence of the federal gov't with comments like "nat'l guard troops are now flooding into the area with 1,400 in Louisiana alone." 1400 is a flood?

They're reporting now that armored personnel carriers have arrived in New Orleans and are carrying National Guard personnel. They're also carrying guns and ammunition, but no food and water.

Witness at the convention center (where the mayor and 20-30,000 refugees are taking shelter) describe the convoys driving past the convention center to who knows where.

New Orleans Mayor Issues 'Desperate SOS'

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050901/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina_49

NEW ORLEANS - Storm victims were raped and beaten, fights and fires broke out, corpses lay out in the open, and rescue helicopters and law enforcement officers were shot at as flooded-out New Orleans descended into anarchy Thursday. "This is a desperate SOS," the mayor said.

New Sub Culture

posted by el_cid on another blog;

New Orleans not disaster, just a new subculture
You see, the Bush administration is not being lazy and incompetent toward the victims of Gulf Coast hurricane and flooding.

Our President is just encouraging the formation of a new, underwater-based culture.

Sure, right now, it's difficult for these poor and predominately African-Americans to leave behind their dry-land habits.

But soon, given time and evolution, they'll take to breathing the levee overrun water and then we'll have aquatic jazz.

We must have faith in Our President.

But does he really believe in evolution?

TRCSF said:
If I were making something up, it would probably be something like how the FEMA director said that they're mobilizing the Boy Scouts of America for disaster relief.

Unfortunately I don't have much of a sense of humor.

The guy from FEMA actually said that at the press conference. They're mobilizing Boy Scouts.

I'm not kidding.
Funny you should mention this. I remember in the '70's we were living in the Omaha Nebraska area and hit by a slew of tornadoes causing an incredible amount of damage. My brother was a scout and my father one of the scout leaders and interestingly enough the "troops" were also one of the early groups to be called upon to assist with cleaning up the mess. I'm not sure my brother was totally prepared for the horrible mess and the complete loss that many of these families had suffered. I remember it hitting him hard. Maybe it's a regional approach to situations like these?

Should anyone wonder how I can be in Biloxi for Camille in '69 and then in Nebraska for tornadoes in the 70's, my father was in the Air Force and we moved quite frequently. :wink:

TRCSF said:
They're reporting now that armored personnel carriers have arrived in New Orleans and are carrying National Guard personnel. They're also carrying guns and ammunition, but no food and water.

Witness at the convention center (where the mayor and 20-30,000 refugees are taking shelter) describe the convoys driving past the convention center to who knows where.
my mother mentioned hearing on a talk show a woman who had been staying at the superdome and then at the convention center talking about how awful it was having only water and mre's for the last 3 days. So one would assume they don't need to stop to give good or water there. Also, I've read that they had made drops of water and food but were just dropping it there and leaving...It sounded as though there were just leaving the food and water in the streets but then...she said something about it being surrounded by armed men and how she was frightened, at first.. to go get it because of the armed men. So, I'm not sure..what she meant?

Last edited:
TRCSF said:

'Shoot to Kill'

"They have M-16s and are locked and loaded. These troops know how to shoot and kill and I expect they will,".

Link

Okay...
one to ask..why the mayor didn't use THESE to evacuate people from the city when Bush first called and insisted the governor call a state of emergency ahead of the storm.
How much of the responsibility for preperation and assistance in a situation like this lies with the governor? and in a state of emergency with evacuation orders...how much lies with the mayors of each city? It seems there should be some accountability from these people.
They need an Guiliani in New Orleans. :mad:

more on Boy Scouts assisting with clean up efforts:

Doing good for others and working with business and government has always been the benchmark of Scouting over the many years. From paper and can drives in the 30s and 40s, to Victory Gardens, to drug abuse prevention programs, to organ and tissue donation awareness, Americans have reacted positively to the call by Scouts to help out. When floods leveled entire communities, it was the National Guard and the Scouts first on the scene - in some cases, one and the same as many National Guard units chartered Emergency Service Exploring units to handle contingencies exactly like what happened. When tornadoes blew, or when hurricanes came on-shore, or deep, long snows hit communities, Scouts were there, preparing and in some cases handing out food, putting together cots and finding blankets, and collecting and distributing toys for needy children.
http://members.aol.com/coffeeweb/LO/tuesday.htm

It seems the Bush administration is far more interested in resolving the current anarchy, where looting is taking place, rather than sending in vital food and drinking resources. Furthermore, I watched a news report yesterday of Mr Bush making remarks such as "these families will be mobilised to new areas in the country where they will be happy...", this truly enraged me.

kat said:
Okay...
one to ask..why the mayor didn't use THESE to evacuate people from the city when Bush first called and insisted the governor call a state of emergency ahead of the storm.
Can you provide a source for this please? It seems to contradict statements Bush made 3 days after the disaster began that nobody could have predicted it.

kat said:
How much of the responsibility for preperation and assistance in a situation like this lies with the governor? and in a state of emergency with evacuation orders...how much lies with the mayors of each city? It seems there should be some accountability from these people.
They need an Guiliani in New Orleans. :mad:
I think you will find the vast majority of the affected states' emergency response equipment and comms were destroyed in the floods whilst their national guardsmen are otherwise deployed at this time. That would explain this strange assumptiion they are making that the federal gov't should assist them. :rolleyes:
Still I suppose it's never too soon to try and shift the blame.

Meanwhile Bush himself has said today that the search and rescue response todate is unacceptable. So perhaps if he is willing to accept not enough is being done by his federal agencies you should consider doing likewise.
Bush condemns Katrina aid effort

Black plumes of smoke are drifting over crisis-hit New Orleans
President George Bush has condemned the initial response to Hurricane Katrina as "not acceptable", before arriving in Alabama to visit the stricken area.
Thousands of people remain stranded without food or water in New Orleans, where extra troops have been dispatched to quell lawlessness.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4208986.stm
1000s of people still have no food or water according to the BBC report which as I know you like reputable sources you will no doubt agree is probably a more reliable source than your mother. :biggrin:

DM said:
'Shoot to Kill'

"They have M-16s and are locked and loaded. These troops know how to shoot and kill and I expect they will,".

Link
There's a lot of this "shoot to kill" about nowadays, isn't there? [sarcasm] Now that's how to solve problems [/sarcasm]. DM, I'm with you - this is truly disgusting. I don't understand how such things can happen in the so-called greatest, most powerful country in the world. Truly unbelievable...

Art said:
Can you provide a source for this please? It seems to contradict statements Bush made 3 days after the disaster began that nobody could have predicted it.
"Gov. Kathleen Blanco, standing beside the mayor at a news conference, said President Bush called andhttp://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWL082805catastrophe.f4dd3f.html for a mandatory evacuation for the low-lying city, which is prone to flooding. "

However, it appears that the state and cities own plan calls for a 72 hour evacuation contingency:

"Since Georges, city officials designed a plan that would provide a more orderly evacuation. It is to begin 72 hours before a storm hits, and end when the winds become too dangerous for motorists, according to Hijuelos" http://www.weather.com/newscenter/specialreports/hurricanes/vulnerablecities/neworleans.html

Why on Earth would the president have to call and make an "appeal" to the Governor to order an evacuation! That's HER job!

Furthermore, it appears that much of the "lawlessness" is the norm for this city http://www.freep.com/news/nw/neworleans22e_20050822.htm
"We're going in the reverse of 46 of the top 50 cities in the United States. Almost everyone is going down, but we're going up," said criminologist Peter Scharf. "There is something going on in New Orleans that is not going on elsewhere."....There have been 192 this year by mid-August, compared with 169 at the same time in 2004. Adjusted for the city's size, those numbers dwarf murder rates in Washington, Detroit, Baltimore, Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles and New York.

For police, recruitment is a problem. The department has a poor image, with allegations of brutality and corruption dating back decades.

That's an outrage, and probably explains a lot of what's going on now. I've lived in the very corrupt city of Brockton MA for a short period of time and..it seems to me that the same situation existed in NO. Where the government officials were more concerned with lining their own pockets and running their own drug and prostitute rings then taking care of the cities people.

Art said:
I think you will find the vast majority of the affected states' emergency response equipment and comms were destroyed in the floods. That would explain this strange assumptiion they are making that the federal gov't should assist them. :rolleyes:
Still I suppose it's never too soon to try and shift the blame.

Meanwhile Bush himself has said today that the search and rescue response todate is unacceptable. So perhaps if he is willing to accept not enough is being done by his federal agencies you should consider doing likewise.
Being prepared is the STATES responsibility and it appears they didn't even follow their own emergency plan. I think there's plenty of blame to go around. This tells me I should make sure that my state is prepared and follows emergency plans when an emergency arises. Although, having been here for the ice storm several years back, I feel pretty comfortable that people here wouldn't be shooting at the helicopters sent into rescue them.

kat said:
"Gov. Kathleen Blanco, standing beside the mayor at a news conference, said President Bush called andhttp://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWL082805catastrophe.f4dd3f.html for a mandatory evacuation for the low-lying city, which is prone to flooding. "
However, it appears that the state and cities own plan calls for a 72 hour evacuation contingency.
"Since Georges, city officials designed a plan that would provide a more orderly evacuation. It is to begin 72 hours before a storm hits, and end when the winds become too dangerous for motorists, according to Hijuelos" http://www.weather.com/newscenter/specialreports/hurricanes/vulnerablecities/neworleans.html
Nowhere in your article does it say Bush insisted the governer call a state of emergency as you claimed. Perhaps you're confused and it was your mother told you this.

kat said:
Furthermore, it appears that much of the "lawlessness" is the norm for this city http://www.freep.com/news/nw/neworleans22e_20050822.htm

That's an outrage, and probably explains a lot of what's going on now. I've lived in the very corrupt city of Brockton MA for a short period of time and..it seems to me that the same situation existed in NO. Where the government officials were more concerned with lining their own pockets and running their own drug and prostitute rings then taking care of the cities people.
I'm puzzled how does a high crime rate cause this??
The BBC's Matt Frei, in New Orleans, says conditions in the city's convention centre, where up to 20,000 more are stranded, are the most wretched he has seen anywhere, including crises in the Third World.

"You've got an entire nursing home evacuated five days ago - people in wheelchairs sitting there and slowly dying," he says.

kat said:
Being prepared is the STATES responsibility and it appears they didn't even follow their own emergency plan. I think there's plenty of blame to go around. This tells me I should make sure that my state is prepared and follows emergency plans when an emergency arises. Although, having been here for the ice storm several years back, I feel pretty comfortable that people here wouldn't be shooting at the helicopters sent into rescue them.
Utter twaddle. If the federal government has no responsibility then why do they have an emergency reserve fund to assist in precisely this scenario. BTW has there been a single disaster in the USA in the the past 50 years that you have not been in the middle of? You seem to be most unfortunate. I was also surprised by your response to another post that despite your father being in the USAAF and a scout leader you struggled to get C rations during one of the many disasters you've lived through. I thought the motto of the scouts was "be prepared" :biggrin:

Yes there is plenty of blame to go around.

On another thread people are calling for ideas to help solve the Iraq debacle. (Actually I think they just want an end to what is becoming America's new favorite pastime...Bush bashing.)

Since the New Orleans disaster is a stark example of the incompetence and utter failure of our leaders to...what is the word I'm looking for... oh yea LEAD.

I am starting a new thread.

How do we reform the US political system to put leaders in office!

Skyhunter said:
I am starting a new thread.

How do we reform the US political system to put leaders in office!
But Skyhunter, you are assuming that 'democracy' can be reformed! I'll state more of my views on why this is not possible in your new thread...

alex

Ah, so it turns out that FEMA director from Mike Brown has been in troubled before.

He was fired from his last job.

For incompetence.

As a Judges and Stewards Commisioner at the International Arabian Horses Association.

It's like one bad joke that just doesn't stop.

Art said:
Speaking of providing sources, how about a source for that?
I think you will find the vast majority of the affected states' emergency response equipment and comms were destroyed in the floods
And that.
whilst their national guardsmen are otherwise deployed at this time.
And that.

And how 'bout an explanation of why the emergency response equipment/comms were destroyed? Shouldn't they have been better protected? I guess, though, it's still the federal governments job to keep the states from screwing up, huh? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
For the person(s) who thinks it was entirely the state's responsibility to handle the disaster, it was actually the FEMA's responsibility since last friday when Bush declared it a national emergency.

We all know what the 'F' in FEMA stands for, right?

TRCSF said:
For the person(s) who thinks it was entirely the state's responsibility...
No one is saying it is entirely the states' responsibility, we're just showing the other side of the coin to those who are saying it's entirely Bush's responsibility. Heck, even saying it was entirely the federal government's responsibility would be an improvment from those who are simply blaming Bush personally.

Another perspective -

Did New Orleans Catastrophe Have to Happen?
News: Times-Picayune Had Repeatedly Raised Federal Spending Issues

http://www.motherjones.com/news/update/2005/09/new_orleans.html

Yes - I know its a liberal perspective - but this is perhaps the best thread in which to put it. It's someones opinion, and at this point anecdotal.

Hopefully we as a people and a nation will learn from this tradgedy and this time make sure it is not repeated.

Afterall, this is suppose to be the UNITED States of America!

russ_watters said:
Speaking of providing sources, how about a source for that? And that.And that.

Bush saying nobody could have predicted the levees breaking...

http://www.fema.gov/press/2005/katrinadonations.shtm

Bush, "I don't think anybody anticipated a breach in those levees."

Unclear if it was Bush Jr. or Sr., but either or is disgusting.

Since they're just using the term "Bush", they're likely referring to Junior. Usually they specify Senior.

And just to pour a little salt on that wound...

"Any politician who tells you they didn't see this coming is not worth your respect and certainly not worth your vote"

- Joe Scarborough, ultra-conservative former politician and right-wing pundit.

So much for partisan politics.

russ_watters said:
Heck, even saying it was entirely the federal government's responsibility would be an improvment from those who are simply blaming Bush personally.

If you haven't been paying attention recently, Bush is, technically, the President of the United States of America. He's (supposed to be, anyway) in charge of FEMA and and this country's response to such disasters. Especially AFTER he federalized the emergency last week.

It's funny, the Republican party says it's the party of personal accountability, but they sure like to ignore that everytime Bush loses another major U.S. city.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Speaking of providing sources, how about a source for that?
see post #65
russ_watters said:
And that.
see post #64
russ_watters said:
And that
see war in Iraq.
The paper says that the government failed to rise to the challenge - despite New Orleans' susceptibility to flooding being well known - and that the poor response was compounded because many local National Guard troops were away in Iraq.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4208962.stm
Or if you don't like these sources I'll take the republican route and get my mother's opinion for you with all the authority that holds :smile:
Russ as a moderator please show a bit of leadership and take the time to read the links I've already posted before wasting my time asking me to repeat them. :rolleyes: (I wonder is lack of leadership a core republican trait :biggrin: )

As to why the equipment and comms went down I believe it was something to do with water.

Here's an interesting quote containing an eyewitness report from somebody in the convention centre.
Thursday, September 1st, 2005
10:46 pm The Real News
The following is the result of an interview I just conducted via cell phone with a New Orleans citizen stranded at the Convention Center. I don't know what you're hearing in the mainstream media or in the press conferences from the city and state officials, but here is the truth:

"Bigfoot" is a bar manager and DJ on Bourbon Street, and is a local personality and icon in the city. He is a lifelong resident of the city, born and raised. He rode out the storm itself in the Iberville Projects because he knew he would be above any flood waters. Here is his story as told to me moments ago. I took notes while he talked and then I asked some questions:

Three days ago, police and national guard troops told citizens to head toward the Crescent City Connection Bridge to await transportation out of the area. The citizens trekked over to the Convention Center and waited for the buses which they were told would take them to Houston or Alabama or somewhere else, out of this area.

It's been 3 days, and the buses have yet to appear.

Although obviously he has no exact count, he estimates more than 10,000 people are packed into and around and outside the convention center still waiting for the buses. They had no food, no water, and no medicine for the last three days, until today, when the National Guard drove over the bridge above them, and tossed out supplies over the side crashing down to the ground below. Much of the supplies were destroyed from the drop. Many people tried to catch the supplies to protect them before they hit the ground. Some offered to walk all the way around up the bridge and bring the supplies down, but any attempt to approach the police or national guard resulted in weapons being aimed at them.

There are many infants and elderly people among them, as well as many people who were injured jumping out of windows to escape flood water and the like -- all of them in dire straights.

Any attempt to flag down police results in being told to get away at gunpoint. Hour after hour they watch buses pass by filled with people from other areas. Tensions are very high, and there has been at least one murder and several fights. 8 or 9 dead people have been stored in a freezer in the area, and 2 of these dead people are kids.

The people are so desperate that they're doing anything they can think of to impress the authorities enough to bring some buses. These things include standing in single file lines with the eldery in front, women and children next; sweeping up the area and cleaning the windows and anything else that would show the people are not barbarians.

The buses never stop.

Before the supplies were pitched off the bridge today, people had to break into buildings in the area to try to find food and water for their families. There was not enough. This spurred many families to break into cars to try to escape the city. There was no police response to the auto thefts until the mob reached the rich area -- Saulet Condos -- once they tried to get cars from there... well then the whole swat teams began showing up with rifles pointed. Snipers got on the roof and told people to get back.

He reports that the conditions are horrendous. Heat, mosquitoes and utter misery. The smell, he says, is "horrific."

He says it's the slowest mandatory evacuation ever, and he wants to know why they were told to go to the Convention Center area in the first place; furthermore, he reports that many of them with cell phones have contacts willing to come rescue them, but people are not being allowed through to pick them up.

I have "Bigfoot"'s phone number and will gladly give it to any city or state official who would like to tell him how everything is under control.

Addendum: Bigfoot just called to report that "they" (the authorities) are cleaning up the dead bodies at the Convention Center right now.
http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/

TRCSF said:
Ah, so it turns out that FEMA director from Mike Brown has been in troubled before.

He was fired from his last job.

For incompetence.

As a Judges and Stewards Commisioner at the International Arabian Horses Association.

It's like one bad joke that just doesn't stop.
I'm not surprised. Watching the guy talk he's in la la land.

Art said:
Nowhere in your article does it say Bush insisted the governer call a state of emergency as you claimed. Perhaps you're confused and it was your mother told you this.

My apologies...I should have said "appealed" in my first post as it would be a little misleading to suggest that the president can force the state to relinqiush it's rights. So again I'll ask you, WHY would the President of the United States have to give a personal APPEAL to the Governor to start a mandatory evacuation?!

I'm puzzled how does a high crime rate cause this??
In reference to the state of lawlessness, armed thugs and shooting at rescue helicoptors. Don't try to distort my statements.

Utter twaddle. If the federal government has no responsibility then why do they have an emergency reserve fund to assist in precisely this scenario.
It is the Federal Governments responsibility to assist the state. It is not the sole responsibility of the Federal Government and I will post in a following post exactly what the states responsibility is according to the Governors own executive order.

BTW has there been a single disaster in the USA in the the past 50 years that you have not been in the middle of?
It's 43 years, and I've been in enough to know what to do..and what to expect to be done by whom.

You seem to be most unfortunate.
Odd, I always considered myself to have been fortunate to have survived numerous disasters. Perhaps it has to do with your own personal life philosophy that you would suggest otherwise.

I was also surprised by your response to another post that despite your father being in the USAAF and a scout leader you struggled to get C rations during one of the many disasters you've lived through. I thought the motto of the scouts was "be prepared" :biggrin:
That should tell you something about what to expect if post Camille in Biloxi...even after taking refuge on base...we still had wait and search out food and water. Note, I don't find any humor in your comment. Picking through debris for dead bodies and helping your friends and neighbors mourn and put their lives together isn't...humorous at all.

TRCSF said:
For the person(s) who thinks it was entirely the state's responsibility to handle the disaster, it was actually the FEMA's responsibility since last friday when Bush declared it a national emergency.

We all know what the 'F' in FEMA stands for, right?

Nobody said "entirely" but are you sure about what your saying or are you talking through your you know what?

Jack Cafferty, conservative pundit, just asked on CNN if the relief was timed to get where it was needed at the same time Bush made his photo-op today.

That would explain the delay.

kat said:
Nobody said "entirely" but are you sure about what your saying or are you talking through your you know what?

The Louisiana governor was calling for mandatory evacuations while Bush was still enjoying his month long vacation in a luxury resort in Rancho Cucamonga, eating cake and pretending to play guitar.

What you're trying to do is shirk responsibility for this utter failure from the President of the United States to other people, despite obvious evidence that it's the president who f*cked up.

So who is it that's talking out of what?

TRCSF said:
If you haven't been paying attention recently, Bush is, technically, the President of the United States of America. He's (supposed to be, anyway) in charge of FEMA and and this country's response to such disasters. Especially AFTER he federalized the emergency last week.

It's funny, the Republican party says it's the party of personal accountability, but they sure like to ignore that everytime Bush loses another major U.S. city.
Bush has lost another major city? LOST? oh my word.
I'm not sure if your talking politically or in regards to the disaster?
Politically your couldn't be more democratic then NO unless you were DC. in regards to this horrid disaster here is the executive order that outlines who is responsible for what during a disaster.

LOUISIANA EMERGENCY OPERATIONS PLAN

EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENT
EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. KBB 2005 - 18
________________________________________________________________________________
LOUISIANA EMERGENCY OPERATIONS PLAN
________________________________________________________________________________
WHEREAS, the state of Louisiana must be prepared to respond in a coordinated, effective, and efficient manner to all emergencies and disasters to which it is subjected;
WHEREAS, effective preparations, including the development of an emergency operations plan, which is coordinated among all the departments and agencies of the state of Louisiana, increases the ability of the state to mitigate the adverse effects of emergencies and/or disasters; and
WHEREAS, the state of Louisiana will best achieve effective coordinated emergency planning by updating the state=s current emergency operations order through the replacement of Executive Order No. KBB 2004-20, issued on August 12, 2004, and by the Military Department, Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness updating its emergency operations plan;
NOW THEREFORE I, KATHLEEN BABINEAUX BLANCO, Governor of the state of Louisiana, by virtue of the authority vested by the Constitution and laws of the state of Louisiana, do hereby order and direct as follows:
SECTION 1: A. The director of the Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness, Military Department, state of Louisiana, (hereafter "director") shall direct the state of Louisiana=s emergency and/or disaster operations.
B. The director, or the director=s designee, shall also coordinate the activities of all non-state agencies, departments, and/or organizations involved in emergency management within the state of Louisiana.
SECTION 2: A. The director shall supplement the provisions of this Order by prescribing rules, regulations, and procedures, which combined with the revisions of this Order, shall constitute the Louisiana Emergency Operations Plan (hereafter "Plan").
B. The Plan shall provide for the emergency operations that may be implemented should an emergency and/or disaster strike the state of Louisiana or an area within the state of Louisiana.
C. The Plan shall be binding on all departments, commissions, boards, agencies, organizations and employees of the state of Louisiana, and on all local governments or political subdivisions of the state authorized or directed to conduct homeland security and emergency management operations.
SECTION 3: A. The director shall control the activation and/or implementation of the Plan and the conclusion and/or deactivation of the Plan.
B. The director shall also control the activation and deactivation of the State Emergency Operations Center (hereafter "Center").
C. The activation of the Center shall constitute the implementation of the Plan.
SECTION 4: The departments, offices, agencies and organizations of the state of Louisiana government have primary and support responsibilities for the following Emergency Support Functions (ESF):
PRIMARY/
ESF ANNEX DEPARTMENT/AGENCY SUPPORT
ESF 1 Transportation Department of Transportation and Development P
Louisiana National Guard S
Department of Corrections S
Office of the Governor - Office of Elderly Affairs S
Department of Health and Hospitals S
Board of Regents S
Louisiana State Police S
Department of Wildlife and Fisheries S
Volunteer Organizations S
PRIMARY/