New Astronomy Quiz Today - 11am in Chat

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, a short multiple choice quiz on astronomy was held at 11 am in chat, with questions about solar eclipses, meteors, and other related topics. Participants were able to use Google and the first person to post the correct answer won each round. The quiz had the same rules as Zz's quiz and was won by Gokul with 5 points, followed by MathJeans with 3 points. The quiz was closed by Evo's child interrupting, but the questions, answers, and first responders were saved and posted.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
If enough people are interested, I will do a short 12 question multiple choice quiz on astronomy at 11 am in chat.

I am making it multiple choice since variations in terms and wording could make it difficult to judge. By offering standard answers, the first person to post the correct answer wins that round. You can simply type the letter for the answer "a" "b" or "c". This should make it more fair for slow typers.

Googling is permitted.

Arguing with the Quiz giver, if you think your answer is correct but not listed, can be done AFTER the quiz is over. If you are right, you will also get a point, then you will be banned for arguing with me. :biggrin:

Same rules as Zz's quiz. White font, no bold, no chatting.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
11am, whose time? I will be missing it if this is EST - might make it if it's CST. Don't see the chat up yet, so hoping it's CST.

Gokul43201 said:
11am, whose time? I will be missing it if this is EST - might make it if it's CST. Don't see the chat up yet, so hoping it's CST.
11 CST.

We can discuss if there is a better time for those that want to participate.

Today's Quiz winners

Gokul - 5

MathJeans - 3

Astronuc, marlon, cristo & malawi tied with 1

The quiz will be posted here later.

Thanks to everyone that participated!

eeeyyyy, why was i left all alone in the chat ?

Chat closed.

Well done Gokul and thank you Evo.

So, who is doing next week's quiz?

I'll do a general knowledge one if everyone doesn't mind.

Ok, I tried to save most of the text, but The Evo Child Interrupted and closed my browser.

Here at least are the questions, answers, and who answered first.

1) When does a solar eclipse occur?

A- When Mercury passes between the sun and the Earth

B- When Venus passes between the sun and the Earth

C- When the moon passes between the sun and the Earth - Correct MathJeans

2) During a total solar eclipse, how long on average is the sun totally darkened?

A- 25 seconds

B- 2.5 minutes - Correct Gokul
C- 25 minutes

3) What do scientists call meteors that reach Earth?

A- Asteroids

B- Comets

C- Meteorites - Correct MathJeans

4) Where is the Meteor Crater, a hole about 4,180 feet (1,275 meters) across and 570 feet (175 meters) deep, located?

A- Arizona - Correct Gokul

B- Colorado

C- New Mexico

5) A total solar eclipse can be seen only in certain parts of the world and only areas that lie in the so-called path of totality can view a total eclipse. Approximately how wide is this path?

A- 170 miles - Correct Astronuc

B- 1,700 miles

C- 17,000 miles

6) At what distance above Earth do most meteors become visible to the human eye?

A- 6 to 20 miles (10 to 32 kilometers)

B- 30 to 60 miles (50 to 95 kilometers)

C- 40 and 75 miles (65 and 120 kilometers) - Correct marlon

7) What type of meteorite consists of minerals rich in silicon and oxygen?

A- Stony - Correct Gokul

B- Iron

C- Stony-iron

8) What scientist used observations from a total solar eclipse to support one of his most important theories?

A- Niels Bohr

B- Albert Einstein - Correct Gokul

C- Enrico Fermi

9) What do scientists call an eclipse where only the middle of the sun darkens, leaving a bright ring around the edges?

A- Annular - Correct Gokul

B- Partial

C- Total

10)According to scientists, the most brilliant meteor shower of known history took place in what year?

A- 4 B.C.

B - 1833 - Correct MathJeans

C- 1999

11) Ancient Chinese astronomers thought that solar eclipses were caused by what event?

A- The sun had circled to the dark side of the Earth

B- Jupiter or Mars had moved in front of the sun

C- A dragon in the sky tried to swallow the sun - CORRECT cristo

12) What do scientists often call the brightest meteors? These meteors are as bright as Jupiter or Venus in the night sky.

A- Shooting stars

B- Falling stars

C- Fireballs - CORRECT marlon

Final Score

Winner - Gokul with 5 points

Second Place - Math Jeans with 3 points

Tied for third - Astronuc, Marlon, cristo and malawi-glenn with 1 point each

Comgratulations to all!

OK. I'm finally back at a computer. I just wanted to say that I had a great time.

1. What is the purpose of the "New Astronomy Quiz Today" in Chat?

The purpose of the "New Astronomy Quiz Today" is to test your knowledge and understanding of astronomy concepts and topics. It is a fun and interactive way to learn more about the universe and engage with other astronomy enthusiasts.

2. Who can participate in the "New Astronomy Quiz Today"?

Anyone can participate in the "New Astronomy Quiz Today" as long as they have access to the Chat platform. It is open to all levels of knowledge and experience, from beginners to experts.

3. How long is the "New Astronomy Quiz Today" and how many questions are there?

The "New Astronomy Quiz Today" typically lasts for about 30 minutes and consists of 10-15 multiple choice questions. However, the length and number of questions may vary depending on the specific quiz.

4. Can I use outside resources or collaborate with others during the "New Astronomy Quiz Today"?

No, the "New Astronomy Quiz Today" is meant to be a solo effort and participants are not allowed to use any outside resources or collaborate with others. This ensures fairness and a true test of individual knowledge.

5. Are there any prizes for participating in the "New Astronomy Quiz Today"?

There are typically no physical prizes for participating in the "New Astronomy Quiz Today". However, the satisfaction of testing your knowledge and potentially learning something new is a reward in itself. Plus, there may be bragging rights for the highest scores!