What's the Latest Theory on the Structure of an Atom?

In summary, the latest theory on the structure of an atom is the quantum mechanical model, also known as the electron cloud model. This model proposes that electrons exist in specific energy levels or orbitals, rather than in fixed paths around the nucleus. These orbitals are represented as a three-dimensional "cloud" of probability where electrons are most likely to be found. Additionally, the nucleus is made up of protons and neutrons, with the number of protons determining the element's identity. This model has replaced the earlier Bohr model, which stated that electrons moved in circular orbits around the nucleus. The quantum mechanical model has been supported by various experiments and has greatly advanced our understanding of atomic structure.
Dan_King
Hi

I'm Dan and new to Physics forums! I'm planning on posting something tomorrow on an alternate theory for the structure of an atom... I thought I would start with something light ;-)

By day I'm a Product Owner and have established several successful and unsuccessful companies! I'm currently working within the A.I. Machine Vision field - I love solving complex problems and I guess the atom is pretty much the number 1 - I have a chemistry degree and used to teach to A-level btw but that doesn't mean i think my atom is right and I would love feedback :-)

Cheers!

Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Dan_King said:
Hi

I'm Dan and new to Physics forums! I'm planning on posting something tomorrow on an alternate theory for the structure of an atom... I thought I would start with something light ;-)

By day I'm a Product Owner and have established several successful and unsuccessful companies! I'm currently working within the A.I. Machine Vision field - I love solving complex problems and I guess the atom is pretty much the number 1 - I have a chemistry degree and used to teach to A-level btw but that doesn't mean i think my atom is right and I would love feedback :-)

Cheers!

Dan
Welcome to our forum Dan!

Before posting, please be sure to read our guidelines about not posting personal theories.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/

Welcome to the PF!
Dan_King said:
I'm planning on posting something tomorrow on an alternate theory for the structure of an atom.
As Evo says, that doesn't sound like a good post for the PF. However, if you can find a mainstream scientific paper or textbook that discusses related issues, you can post a link to that source and ask questions about it. That's a great way to learn more about how mainstream science works.
Dan_King said:
By day I'm a Product Owner
I own lots of products too. :smile: What does it mean in this context? Maybe an auto-complete error for some other word, like "Porsche"? :biggrin:

Likes Evo
Hahaha just seen the rules I'll go elsewhere ;-)

Fair enough. We're here when you have questions about mainstream science. :smile:

Intro thread is closed.