New Zealand - The Tip of A Hidden Continent

• Thread starter Tom.G
  • Start date
In summary, the documentary "We Thought New Zealand Was an Island" suggests that Zealandia, a previously unknown continent, is in fact the tip of a hidden continent. The documentary supports the idea that Atlantis may not have been as far away as previously thought, and that it may have been located in New Zealand.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Likes davenn
Tom.G said:

yes, all quite interesting stuff :smile:
I believe we had another thread on this some time back, will see if I can find it for references to other comments

none of this has anything to do with the myth of Atlantis thoDave

Last edited:
Spent the last hour looking through the last 3 pages of threads
cant find what I was looking for ( I may have missed it ) it's possible it came up within another thread
so had nothing to do with the thread title ... I know it was discussed sometime in the last 12 monthsDave

Then how could Plato have written about this land thousands of years ago if it was so far away, in New Zealand?
I have watched the documentary on youtube about something like the Geodesic Circles seen from space in Spain. Can't find the link.

@ISamson - specifically what documentary? I need to see what is going on. PF supports science debate, as you know.

@Tom.G Plus, Santorini (Thera) may be a better choice for Atlantis. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoan_eruption - follow the links for better citations.
I'm sure you do get that Atlantis is fictional and the name derives from Plato's works Timaeus and Critias - which needs no citation. The issue with Atlantis is that PF does not support debate on Plato's works let alone fictional cities/island/continents. And the associated nonsense out there.

http://theconversation.com/explorers-probe-hidden-continent-of-zealandia-83406 - these guys are currently drilling cores and analyzing data. The non-technical article mentions that Zealandia subsided about 80 million years ago, a tad before Plato, early apes, and even the entire primate tree.
FYI: https://www2.palomar.edu/anthro/earlyprimates/early_2.htm

The 'great circle' post caused me to place a 'red great circle' around this thread. The geology part is fine - the rest probably not.

Likes davenn, fresh_42 and ISamson
jim mcnamara said:
specifically what documentary? I need to see what is going on. PF supports science debate, as you know.

I was very impressed by it!
I believe that the team is on the right track...:smile:

IMO, some aspects of Archeology as a real science need a tune up in the concept of hypothesis test versus hype - which comes first? Most of the obsessive Atlantis hunters and the guys in the video are no exception, but the guys in the video do appear to have have valid reasons for excavation. The Atlantis assertion part is more than a bit off the wall.

I think stuff like 'Atlantis' in that video gets overly emphasized, maybe so more people will watch. Or donate money. It is precisely like I described - hype before a decent set of tests of a hypothesis. And unless they find inscriptions at the site with a its 'local' name at least vaguely reminiscent of 'Atlantis' excavations still will not prove the true identity/origin of the site in the video. BTW: atlantis in greek derives from Ἀτλαντὶς νῆσος (in English) 'island of atlas' where Poseidon dwells. Note the word island.

Please do not let this thread diverge any further from real science, or it is going down. And yeah, the video is interesting. Marginal science. Other mentors may decide to shut this thread down because of the edgy-ness.

Last edited:
Likes ISamson and fresh_42
Tom.G said:
Who says there is no Atlantis?
Well, it was meant to be rather tongue-in-cheek.
Sorry to start such a storm.

Tom

I think this thread deserves a long rest. Closed.

Likes ISamson

1. What is the hidden continent in New Zealand?

The hidden continent in New Zealand is called Zealandia. It is a largely submerged landmass that was once part of the ancient supercontinent Gondwana.

2. How was Zealandia discovered?

Geologists have known about Zealandia since the 1990s, but it was officially recognized as a continent in 2017 when a team of scientists conducted extensive research and found evidence of its distinct geology, topography, and crustal structure.

3. What makes Zealandia a hidden continent?

Zealandia is considered a hidden continent because most of it is submerged underwater. Only about 6% of the continent is above sea level, with the largest landmass being New Zealand. This makes it difficult to study and explore, which is why it remained hidden for so long.

4. What makes Zealandia significant for scientific research?

Zealandia is significant for scientific research because it provides a unique opportunity to study the geological processes and history of a largely submerged continent. It also gives us insight into the breakup of ancient supercontinents and the formation of modern-day continents.

5. Are there any ongoing research projects focused on Zealandia?

Yes, there are ongoing research projects focused on Zealandia. These include mapping and seismic studies to better understand the continent's history and geology, as well as studies on the unique flora and fauna that evolved on this isolated landmass.