Newbie question on atsrophotography

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
In summary, the exposure time for capturing stars in a night sky depends on the sensitivity of the film and focal length of the lens. Longer exposures will result in more visible stars, but can also cause blur if longer than a minute due to Earth's rotation. With a digital camera, opening the aperture and taking exposures of several seconds to a few minutes can capture stars, but a clock drive may be needed for longer exposures or star trails.
Holocene
What effect does exposure time have on images?

Say I just wanted to take a picture of some stars in the night sky, just with a cammera, no other optics...

Is it the exposure time that will show the stars?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The exposure depends on the sensitivity of the film (ISO setting) and the focal length of the lens. The longer the exposure the more stars will be visible, but if it is longer than around a minute the stars will be blurred into lines as the Earth rotates.
The easiest way is to try different settings and see.

It's a little more difficult with a digital camera.

Open the aperture all the way, focus at infinity, and take exposures of several seconds up to a few minutes, depending upon your subject. Beyond that you'll need some kind of clock drive, unless you desire star trails in your images.

- Warren

Related to Newbie question on atsrophotography

What equipment do I need to get started with astrophotography?

To get started with astrophotography, you will need a DSLR camera, a tripod, and a telescope or telephoto lens. You may also want to invest in a remote shutter release, a star tracker, and various filters to enhance your images.

How do I find dark sky locations for astrophotography?

To find dark sky locations for astrophotography, you can use apps like Dark Sky Finder or Dark Site Finder. These apps will show you light pollution levels in different areas, allowing you to find the best spots for astrophotography. You can also join local astronomy groups or check online forums for recommendations on dark sky locations.

What camera settings should I use for astrophotography?

The ideal camera settings for astrophotography will vary depending on factors such as the type of camera, the lens being used, and the specific subject being photographed. However, some general settings to start with include using a wide aperture (f/2.8 or lower), a high ISO (1600-3200), and a long exposure time (15-30 seconds). It's also important to shoot in RAW format for better image quality and to manually focus on the stars.

How can I capture the Milky Way in my astrophotography?

To capture the Milky Way in your astrophotography, you will need to be in a dark sky location during the right time of year. The best time to photograph the Milky Way is during the summer months in the Northern Hemisphere and the winter months in the Southern Hemisphere. Use a wide-angle lens and a long exposure time to capture the full span of the Milky Way in your images.

What post-processing techniques can I use for astrophotography?

There are various post-processing techniques you can use for astrophotography, such as stacking multiple images to reduce noise, adjusting levels and curves to enhance contrast and color, and using tools like star reduction and noise reduction to clean up your images. It's important to experiment and find the techniques that work best for your specific images and style.