How Does Angle Affect Force Required to Move a Crate on Concrete?

In summary, the conversation discusses the required force to move a crate across a horizontal pad of concrete at a steady speed, with two options: pushing at a downward angle of 29∘ or pulling at an upward angle of 29∘. The crate has a mass of 47.0kg and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.740. The equations used to calculate the net force for both situations are given, with the final answers being 276 N and 661 N for pulling and pushing, respectively. It is determined that for constant velocity, the horizontal component of the net force must equal the frictional force, resulting in the calculated values.
dioxy186
Unless otherwise stated, all objects are located near the Earth's surface, where g = 9.80 {\rm m/s^2}.
A person has a choice while trying to push a crate across a horizontal pad of concrete: push it at a downward angle of 29∘ , or pull it at an upward angle 29∘.

If the crate has a mass of 47.0kg and the coefficient of kinetic friction between it and the concrete is 0.740, calculate the required force to move it across the concrete at a steady speed for both situations.

Homework Equations

I'm stuck on this problem, I don't know if I have my equations mixed up or I'm calculating the wrong thing.
Fk (is Kinetic Friction)
mg is mass * gravity (weight of the object)
muk (coefficient of kinetic friction - given as 0.74).
N is the Normal force (same as Fn as explained below).

Fn= mg*sin(theta)
Fk= muk*N
plug Fn into N since the coefficient of friction is given.

The frictional force when pulling is µW1:
w-sin(theta)*Fp
460.6 - sin(29)Fp (29 degrees is given - plugged into place of theta).
The frictional force when pushing is µW2:

460.6+sin(29)Fp

Ff(force of friction) Pull:
muk (w - sin(theta)
= (0.74) (47*9.8-sin(29) = 340.8 - 0.359Fp
Ff Push:
(0.74)(47*9.8+sin(29) = 340.8+0.359Fp

The horizontal component is Fp·cos(29°)
Fp*cos(29) = 0.875Fp
The net force when pulling is:
0.875Fp - (340.8 - 0.3588) = 0 -> 0.875Fp+0.3588 Fp -340.8 -> = 1.23 Fp - 340.8
The net force when pushing is:
0.875Fp - (340.8+0.3588) -> 0.875Fp - 0.3588 Fp -340.8 -> = 0.5162Fp - 340.8

Since it's moving at constant speed, does that mean the horizontal component Fp equal to the frictional force in each case?

This is basically where I'm lost at. I try setting Fp = Ff but I'm not getting the correct answers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Life would be easier if you explained what your notations mean.
You are right, constant velocity means that both the horizontal and vertical components of the net force are zero.

ehild

Sorry I tried writing out what the notations meant before working the equation out. I'll edit it, and then bold it for you.

Nevermind I think I got it.
For Pull: it would be cos(29) + (0.74)*sin(29) = 1.23
340.8 N / 1.23 = 276 N
For Push: cos(29) - (0.74)*sin(29) = 0.516
340.8 / 0.515 = 661 N

It is correct now.

What is a Newton application problem?

A Newton application problem is a type of physics problem that involves using Sir Isaac Newton's laws of motion to solve for unknown variables, such as force, acceleration, or mass. These problems typically involve objects moving in a straight line and can be solved using equations such as F=ma or F=mg.

What are the 3 laws of motion used in Newton application problems?

The 3 laws of motion used in Newton application problems are:
1. Law of Inertia: An object at rest will stay at rest, and an object in motion will stay in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.
2. Law of Acceleration: The acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it, and inversely proportional to its mass.
3. Law of Action-Reaction: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How do you solve a Newton application problem?

To solve a Newton application problem, you first need to identify the unknown variables, such as force, acceleration, or mass. Then, you can use the appropriate equation (such as F=ma or F=mg) to set up and solve for the unknown variable. It is important to correctly label and convert units in the problem to ensure accurate calculations.

What are some common examples of Newton application problems?

Some common examples of Newton application problems include:
- Finding the force needed to accelerate a car to a certain speed
- Calculating the acceleration of an object sliding down a ramp
- Determining the mass of an object based on its acceleration and the applied force
- Solving for the force of gravity between two objects with given masses and distances
- Finding the maximum height a projectile can reach based on its initial velocity and angle of launch

What are some tips for solving Newton application problems?

Some tips for solving Newton application problems include:
- Draw a diagram to help visualize the problem and label all known and unknown variables
- Use the correct equation for the specific problem
- Pay attention to units and make sure to convert them if necessary
- Check your answer to make sure it is reasonable and matches the given information
- Practice solving different types of problems to become more familiar with the process and equations.