Newton's Binomial Theorem to Estimate, Find Error

In summary, the poster used the Binomial Theorem to estimate the integral of (1+x^4)^(1/2) from 0 to 1/2, but was unsure of how to find the error in their estimate. The expert advised rewriting the integral in terms of (1+x)^n, using the Binomial Theorem to expand it, and determining the appropriate number of terms to add using the error formula for Taylor series. They also suggested finding the error by plugging in the appropriate values into the error formula.
jillian3

Homework Statement

Use Newton's Binomial Theorem to estimate integral of (1+x^4)^(1/2) from 0 to 1/2 to within one part in 1000, (error>1/1000)

Homework Equations

I used the Binomial Series expansion, so (a+b)^n = a^n +na^(n-1)b + (n(n-1))/2! (etc

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to do a binomial series expansion, but I don't know how to use it to estimate a value and find the error in this case. I'm using the series expansion to estimate a value for integral given. So I need to add up several of the functions in the series expansion, subtract it from the value for the integral of (1+x^4)^(1/2) from 0 to 1/2. But the value of this is not an exact number, and I can't put it in a format of (1+x) and plug in for my expansion to get values.

First off, is this how you use the theorum to estimate? Is that how you find the error? And if that is the case, how d I find the error or estimate with the information I'm given?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question! Using the Binomial Theorem to estimate a value for an integral is a valid approach, but there are a few steps you need to take to find the error and ensure your estimate is within one part in 1000.

First, you will need to rewrite the integral in terms of (1+x)^n, where n is a positive integer. In this case, we can rewrite (1+x^4)^(1/2) as (1+(x^4/4))^2, which allows us to use the Binomial Theorem.

Next, we can use the Binomial Theorem to expand (1+(x^4/4))^2 to get an infinite series. However, to ensure that our estimate is within one part in 1000, we only need to add up a certain number of terms in the series. This number of terms can be determined using the error formula for Taylor series, which is given by |R_n(x)| ≤ M(x-a)^(n+1)/(n+1)!, where R_n(x) is the remainder term after adding n terms of the series, M is the maximum value of the (n+1)th derivative of the function on the interval (0, 1/2), and a is the center of the series expansion. In this case, a = 0, and we can find the maximum value of the (n+1)th derivative by taking the derivative of (1+x^4)^(1/2) and evaluating it at x = 1/2.

Once you have determined the appropriate number of terms to add in the series, you can plug in x = 1/2 to get an estimate for the integral. To find the error, you can use the error formula mentioned above and plug in the appropriate values for M, n, and x.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.Scientist

What is Newton's Binomial Theorem?

Newton's Binomial Theorem is a mathematical formula used to expand binomial expressions raised to a certain power. It provides a way to easily calculate the coefficients of the expanded terms.

How is Newton's Binomial Theorem used to estimate values?

By plugging in a value for the variable in the expanded expression, we can use Newton's Binomial Theorem to approximate the value of the original expression. This is especially helpful when the original expression is difficult to compute directly.

Can Newton's Binomial Theorem be used to find errors?

Yes, the theorem can be used to estimate the error in a calculation by comparing the actual value with the estimated value obtained using the theorem. The difference between the two values is the error.

What are the limitations of Newton's Binomial Theorem?

The theorem can only be applied to binomial expressions, meaning expressions with two terms. It is also limited to estimating values and finding errors for relatively small powers, as the number of terms in the expanded expression increases significantly with higher powers.

Are there any real-world applications of Newton's Binomial Theorem?

Yes, the theorem has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to model and estimate real-life situations, such as the probability of outcomes in a game or the rate of change in a physical system.