Creating a Working Newton Cradle: Physics & Glass/Stone Balls

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a homemade Newton's cradle not functioning as desired. The individual has tried using glass and stone balls, but the movement of the balls is not stopping completely after collisions and instead continues with reduced velocity. The potential reasons for this failure are discussed, including the possibility of friction and the material of the balls. The conversation ends with speculation about the type of balls that Newton himself used.
Craig113
have been trying to make me own workig Newton cradle. I know some physics. the problem is that my balls don´ta completely stop moving after the coalition, they rather continua their movement but with a reduced violocity. This typ of movement increases and grows with the number of coalitions. At the end all of the balls move with eatch other. And that's not what i want. The balls i have been using are glas or stone balls. I could not get my hands on metal balls. Can that be the reason for this failure?

Physics news on Phys.org
Friction at the point where you attached the ball's to the support and loss of energy in inelastic collisions. Metal balls are much more elastic than glass or stone.

Thanks for replaying. I don't think friction is the answer to why the movement of the balls are not the way they are supposed to be. Friction can only explain why do movement slows down and gradually ends. The collision is inelastic, that means that the kinestic energy turns into heat but how can this effect the type av movment?

It could be that your balls don't have equal masss.

Craig113 said:
The collision is inelastic, that means that the kinestic energy turns into heat but how can this effect the type av movment?

What if the first collision were totally inelastic? This would be the case if the balls were made of something that deformed without springing back, like clay. Don't you think that would "effect the type av movement"?

Still, it does not make sense. Stone balls should be elastic enought to get the desired type of movement. I mean, what type of balls did Netwons himself use? Did he not use stone balls? I think he did.

1. How does a Newton Cradle work?

The Newton Cradle demonstrates the principle of conservation of momentum and energy. When one ball on the end is lifted and released, it swings and collides with the stationary balls, transferring its energy and momentum. The last ball then swings out with the same amount of energy and momentum as the first ball.

2. What is the significance of using glass or stone balls in a Newton Cradle?

Glass or stone balls are used in a Newton Cradle because they are dense and hard materials that can efficiently transfer energy and momentum during collisions. This allows for a more realistic and consistent demonstration of the physics principles involved.

3. How do you determine the number of balls to use in a Newton Cradle?

The number of balls to use in a Newton Cradle depends on the desired length and complexity of the demonstration. Generally, an odd number of balls (such as 5 or 7) is used to ensure that the last ball swings out smoothly and does not stay in the middle.

4. Can a Newton Cradle be created with different materials?

Yes, a Newton Cradle can be created with various materials such as marbles, plastic balls, or even ping pong balls. However, the choice of materials may affect the efficiency of energy transfer and the overall performance of the demonstration.

5. What are some potential difficulties in creating a working Newton Cradle?

Some potential difficulties in creating a working Newton Cradle include ensuring that the balls are evenly spaced and aligned, and that the strings or wires holding the balls are of equal length. It is also important to consider the weight and size of the balls, as well as the height and stability of the frame to prevent the balls from hitting each other or falling off.