Understanding Newton's Third Law: How Forces Work on Different Objects

In summary: So the net force on the object you kicked is the same as the force applied to you by the ground.In summary, when you are pushing the box the *net force on the box is not zero* as the only force applied on the box is the 50 N applied by you. Therefore it moves as it is not in equiliberium.The contact force between the box and the floor is not the only force acting on the box. The gravitational force is also acting on the box. The contact force between the box and the floor is minimal because there is a lot of friction between the box and the floor.
kevsven
Hi there,

Assume that I push a box with a force of say 50 Newtons and the box moves forward. At the same time, the box pushes me back with the same amount of force. One can argue that hence, the net force here is zero and the box shouldn't move, right?

Compare it to the situation where the box lays on the floor. The reason the box doesn't bounce up is that the net force (in the vertical axis) is zero, i.e. the force imposed by the floor to the box is countered by the force imposed by the box to the floor.

Thanks for the help

Science news on Phys.org
when calculating acceleration of the particle we should consider the force applied on the particle only not the force applied by the particle. The force applied by the particle will alter the motion of the object on which the force is applied(in above situation it alters your motion)

when you are pushing the box the *net force on the box is not zero* as the only force applied on the box is the 50 N applied by you. Therefore it moves as it is not in equiliberium.

box also applies a force of 50 N on you but not on itself so the force applied by box will move you not the box

NOW considering the second situation in which the box is on the floor : there are two forces aplied on the box : 1) gravity (downwards)
2) NORMAL (upwards)

gravity forces equals Normal force so *net force on the box is zero* so it remains at rest

Hi kevsven, welcome to PF!
kevsven said:
Assume that I push a box with a force of say 50 Newtons and the box moves forward. At the same time, the box pushes me back with the same amount of force. One can argue that hence, the net force here is zero and the box shouldn't move, right?
One could argue that but one would be wrong. The net force is the sum of the forces on a single object, therefore you cannot add the force on you with the force on the box to get a net force.

kevsven said:
Compare it to the situation where the box lays on the floor. The reason the box doesn't bounce up is that the net force (in the vertical axis) is zero, i.e. the force imposed by the floor to the box is countered by the force imposed by the box to the floor.
Again, those are forces on different objects so they have nothing to do with net force.

The reason that the box is stationary is because the gravitational force on the box is equal to mg pointing down and the contact force on the box is equal to mg pointing up. These two forces are both acting on the box, and the sum of those two forces acting on the box is 0. It has nothing to do with the contact force acting on the floor.

kevsven said:
Hi there,

Thanks for the help
when you are concerned about the acceleration of block then you need to concern on all the forces applied on block externally. I think you should not think about the force that block applies back to origin force. Because a body can't apply force on itself.

Most of all (100 bat ki ek bat)
draw it's free body you will get the point.

kevsven said:
Hi there,

Thanks for the help

Friction has a lot to do with this kind of scenario. 2 ice skaters with same mass pushing against each other with same steady non impulsive force will both move away because of minimal friction. One can imagine the same experiment between astronauts in free fall.

Newton third laws work on the different things.ex : when you kick the ball, the ball give you the same force as you kick the ball, see ,,, two differents things ! ball and your foot.
while in your example you say that that laws work on the same stuff, other wrong example is the normal force vs weight force that work on a single thing.

1. What is Newton's first law and how does it relate to the third law?

Newton's first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This law relates to the third law, also known as the law of action and reaction, because it explains that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In other words, the force applied to an object will result in an equal and opposite force acting back on the object.

2. Can you provide an example of Newton's first law and third law in action?

One example is when a person is standing on a skateboard and pushes off the ground with their foot. According to Newton's first law, the skateboard will remain at rest until an external force (the person's foot) is applied. This force also causes an equal and opposite reaction, propelling the person forward on the skateboard.

3. What is the main difference between Newton's first and third law?

The main difference between Newton's first and third law is that the first law deals with an object's state of motion, while the third law deals with the forces acting on an object. The first law explains how an object's motion will remain unchanged unless acted upon by an external force, while the third law explains how forces always occur in pairs, with one force acting on one object and an equal and opposite force acting on another object.

4. How do Newton's first and third law apply to everyday situations?

Newton's first and third law apply to everyday situations in many ways. For example, when walking, we push against the ground with our feet (force) and the ground pushes back with an equal and opposite force, allowing us to move forward. When jumping, we push down on the ground (force) and the ground pushes back, propelling us into the air. These are examples of Newton's third law. Newton's first law also applies when objects are at rest or in motion and no external forces are acting on them, such as a book sitting on a table.

5. Are there any exceptions to Newton's first and third law?

While Newton's laws are generally accepted as true, there are some exceptions in certain situations. For example, at the atomic and subatomic level, Newton's laws do not fully apply and are replaced by the principles of quantum mechanics. Additionally, in situations where there is significant air resistance or other external factors, the laws may not accurately predict the behavior of objects. However, for most everyday situations, Newton's first and third law hold true.