1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's law application

1. Mar 23, 2004 #1
    hey guys! i need some help, a big help. this is urgent... can somebodyhelp me solve this problem:

what force, applied parallel to the plane, is necessary to move a 16 kg object up africtionless palne with a uniform acceleration of 2.0 m/s2 if the plane makes an angle of 60 degrees with the horizontal?

pls somebody help me. i really need it badly. hope somebody would reply today. thanks...
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2004 #2
    Is the plane on the surface of earth, so that the body is subject to a gravitational force of (16 kg)*(9.8 m/s^2)?

Is the acceleration wrt the plane or the ground? Makes a big difference.

I assume the answers are yes and wrt the plane.

The NET force necessary to move the body 2 m/s^2 is simply mass * acceleration = (16 kg)*(2 m/s^2).

However, you need more than that to overcome the gravitational force. The body is kept from moving straight down by the plane, so it would only go down the plane with a force of (16 kg)*(9.8 m/s^2)cos 30 degrees. Reverse that force and add to the above ("NET").

Now, I may have made a mistake somewhere, so go over that solution carefully. Don't blame me, it was a rush job, right, boss? :smile:
  4. Mar 26, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The component of the object's weight parallel to the plane is [itex]mg\sin\theta[/itex] acting down the plane. The applied force F (acting up the plane) must be enough to overcome that and produce the needed acceleration:
    [tex]F = mg\sin\theta + ma[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?