How Much Force Is Needed to Move an Object Up an Inclined Plane?

In summary: NIn summary, to move a 16 kg object up a frictionless plane with a uniform acceleration of 2.0 m/s2, a force of 188.8N, applied parallel to the plane, is necessary. This force must be enough to overcome the component of the object's weight acting down the plane and produce the desired acceleration.
nutzweb
hey guys! i need some help, a big help. this is urgent... can somebodyhelp me solve this problem:

what force, applied parallel to the plane, is necessary to move a 16 kg object up africtionless palne with a uniform acceleration of 2.0 m/s2 if the plane makes an angle of 60 degrees with the horizontal?

pls somebody help me. i really need it badly. hope somebody would reply today. thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the plane on the surface of earth, so that the body is subject to a gravitational force of (16 kg)*(9.8 m/s^2)?

Is the acceleration wrt the plane or the ground? Makes a big difference.

I assume the answers are yes and wrt the plane.

The NET force necessary to move the body 2 m/s^2 is simply mass * acceleration = (16 kg)*(2 m/s^2).

However, you need more than that to overcome the gravitational force. The body is kept from moving straight down by the plane, so it would only go down the plane with a force of (16 kg)*(9.8 m/s^2)cos 30 degrees. Reverse that force and add to the above ("NET").

Now, I may have made a mistake somewhere, so go over that solution carefully. Don't blame me, it was a rush job, right, boss? :smile:

nutzweb said:
what force, applied parallel to the plane, is necessary to move a 16 kg object up africtionless palne with a uniform acceleration of 2.0 m/s2 if the plane makes an angle of 60 degrees with the horizontal?
The component of the object's weight parallel to the plane is [itex]mg\sin\theta[/itex] acting down the plane. The applied force F (acting up the plane) must be enough to overcome that and produce the needed acceleration:
[tex]F = mg\sin\theta + ma[/tex]

What is Newton's law of motion?

Newton's law of motion states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.

What are the three laws of Newton's law of motion?

The first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How is Newton's law of motion applied in real life?

Newton's law of motion is applied in various aspects of everyday life, such as the motion of a car or a ball, the flight of an airplane, or the movement of a person on a swing. It also plays a crucial role in the design and operation of vehicles, machines, and structures.

What is an example of Newton's law of motion in action?

An example of Newton's law of motion in action is a person pushing a shopping cart. The person exerts a force on the cart, causing it to move forward. According to Newton's second law, the acceleration of the cart is directly proportional to the force applied and inversely proportional to its mass.

What is the difference between Newton's law of motion and the law of gravity?

Newton's law of motion describes the relationship between forces and motion, while the law of gravity explains the force of attraction between two objects with mass. The two laws are often used together to explain the motion of objects in the universe.