What laws of motion are involved in the girl's fall while jogging in the park?

In summary, the story involves both Newton's 1st and 3rd laws as the girl jogging in the park doesn't see a sign up ahead, hits it and falls to the ground. Additionally, Newton's 2nd law is also involved as the girl undergoes an acceleration upon hitting the sign.
solars
One day a girl jogging in the park, doesn't see a sign up ahead, hits it and falls to the ground.

Which of Newton's 3 laws is involved in this story?

I think that Newton's 1st and 3rd law are invovled, not sure about the 2nd.

Physics news on Phys.org
solars said:
One day a girl jogging in the park, doesn't see a sign up ahead, hits it and falls to the ground.

Which of Newton's 3 laws is involved in this story?

I think that Newton's 1st and 3rd law are invovled, not sure about the 2nd.
I agree that both the first and thrid laws are involved, however for the second, does the girl's velocity change as she hits the sign?

Hootenanny said:
I agree that both the first and thrid laws are involved, however for the second, does the girl's velocity change as she hits the sign?

Yes, because she does fall to the ground so her velocity becomes zero?

solars said:
Yes, because she does fall to the ground so her velocity becomes zero?
Well yes, but the point I was trying to make is that she undergoes an acceleration and so Newton's 2nd law is also involved.

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three physical laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws apply to real-life situations?

Newton's laws can be applied to a wide range of real-life situations, from the motion of planets in our solar system to the movement of a ball rolling down a hill. For example, the first law explains why objects don't keep moving forever (due to forces like friction and air resistance), the second law can be seen in action when a car accelerates or decelerates, and the third law can be observed when a rocket launches into space.

3. What is a "story problem" involving Newton's laws?

A "story problem" involving Newton's laws is a word problem that requires the application of one or more of Newton's laws to solve. These types of problems often involve a scenario where forces are acting on an object and the goal is to determine the resulting motion or acceleration of the object.

4. How can I solve a Newton's law story problem?

To solve a Newton's law story problem, you will need to identify the forces acting on the object in the problem, determine the net force, and use Newton's second law (F=ma) to calculate the acceleration of the object. Once you have the acceleration, you can use it to find other quantities such as velocity and displacement.

5. What are some examples of Newton's law story problems?

Some examples of Newton's law story problems include determining the acceleration of a car moving up a hill, finding the speed of a ball rolling down a ramp, and calculating the force needed to lift a heavy object off the ground. These types of problems can also involve multiple objects and forces, making them more complex but still solvable using Newton's laws.