What Force Allows a Balloon to Float in the Air?

In summary, the key to the balloon floating in the air is buoyancy, which is caused by the higher air pressure at the bottom of the balloon compared to the top. This creates a net upward force that is greater than the downward force of gravity. Another way to understand this is through Archimedes principle, where the balloon's lower density allows it to float in the denser air.
isyang94
As the balloon rises, the force of gravity pulls on the balloon, but which force is strong enough to pull the balloon up so that it floats in the air?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jarednjames,
I love the quote from Archosaur that you have started using in your signature ... that's classic :)

Dave

DaleSpam said:
Air pressure
Correct. More specifically, the air pressure is higher at the bottom of the balloon than at it's top, since air pressure decreases as height increases. This gives a net upward force, that we call buoyancy, which can be greater that the downward gravitational force.

Another way of looking at it is using Archimedes principle. The balloon (filled with Helium) has a lower density than air.

Also one thing that might help you is to remember that air pressure pushes in all directions. And since the lower down one goes the greater the air pressure becomes; there is always a greater pressure from air pushing up than there is pushing down.

As the balloon rises, the force of gravity pulls on the balloon, but which force is strong enough to pull the balloon up so that it floats in the air?
thanks
Gravity allso pulls on the air around the balloon(which is air pressure) but because the air is more dense(it weighs more) than the helium in the balloon, the balloon rises.

I'll just say that jarednjames scooped those of us who responded after him, myself included.

Redbelly, I apologize, I did not see earlier that you had already wrote what I said.

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws relate to gravity?

Newton's laws of motion and his law of universal gravitation are closely related. According to the law of universal gravitation, every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force that is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This force of gravity follows the same rules as the second law of motion, with mass and acceleration playing a key role.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to Newton's laws?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. In Newton's laws, mass is used to calculate the acceleration of an object, while weight is used to calculate the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass remains constant, but weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force.

4. Can Newton's laws and gravity be applied to objects in space?

Yes, Newton's laws and the law of universal gravitation can be applied to objects in space. In fact, these laws were first developed to explain the motion of celestial bodies such as planets and moons. The laws still hold true in space as long as there are two objects with mass that are interacting with each other through gravitational force.

5. What is the significance of Newton's laws and gravity in everyday life?

Newton's laws and gravity play a crucial role in our everyday lives. They explain how objects move and interact with each other, from the motion of a ball being thrown to the orbit of planets around the sun. Without these laws, we would not be able to understand or predict the behavior of objects in our world. Their applications can be seen in fields such as engineering, transportation, and sports.