Newton's Laws of Gravitation

In summary: You need to use the distance from the moon to the surface of the Earth, which is the Earth's radius plus the distance from the center of the Earth to you.In summary, the Moon's gravitational pull on an individual increases by 0.44% when it moves from being directly on the opposite side of Earth to being directly overhead. This is due to the change in distance between the individual and the Moon, which is taken into account using the equation F = (GMm)/r^2. The distance used for the Moon's position on the opposite side is 3.88e8 meters, while the distance used for the Moon's position overhead is 3.76e8 meters. This results in a different proportion between
G-reg

Homework Statement

Some people believe that the Moon controls their activities. The Moon moves from being directly on the opposite side of Earth from you to be being directly overhead. Assume that the Earth-Moon (center-to-center) distance is 3.82 multiplied by 108 m and Earth's radius is 6.37 multiplied by 106.

(a) By what percent does the Moon's gravitational pull on you increase?

(b) By what percent does your weight (as measured on a scale) decrease?

Homework Equations

F = (GMm)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the force of the gravitational force between me and the moon, then for me and the Earth. Then I set up a proportion and found the percent that the gravitational force between me and the moon is to the gravitational force between me and the Earth.

F(moon) = (6.67e-11 * 7.36e22 * 70.76)/(9.55e7)^2 = 3.81e-2

F(Earth) = (6.67e-11 * 5.98e24 * 70.76)/(9.55e7)^2 = 8.56

F(moon)/F(Earth) = x/100

x = [100 * F(moon)] / F(Earth) = .44

Physics news on Phys.org
the problem does not actually ask u to find Earth's gravitational pull on you :D

it does not hurt though ;)

So the answer to the first one is just the gravitational force between me and the moon?
I'm still confused lol.

the distance between u and the moon is different for both cases :)

Ok you that makes sense. So the "r" in the equation would be different for each case. But do you think that I'm supposed to use my own mass for the problem?

try it first with what we have so far :)

Ok here we go..

F(moon_opposite side) = (6.67e-11 * 7.36E22 * 70.76) / (3.82e8)^2 = 2.4e-3

F(moon_overhead) = (6.67e-11 * 7.36E22 * 70.76) / (6.37e6)^2 = 8.56

now proportion?

u got the distances wrong :)

oh lol so..let's see..

is the distance for the "moon_opposite side" = 3.88e8?
and the other distance is 3.82e8?

done, give me cookies :D

the other distance is 3.76 e8

haha how'd you get 3.76e8?

try drawing the diagram, u'll see :)

G-reg said:
oh lol so..let's see..

is the distance for the "moon_opposite side" = 3.88e8?
Yes.
...and the other distance is 3.82e8?
No, that's the distance from the moon to the center of the Earth. You would use that distance if you were located at the center of the Earth, which you aren't in this problem.

What is Newton's Law of Gravitation?

Newton's Law of Gravitation states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What are the three laws of motion proposed by Newton?

The three laws of motion proposed by Newton are: 1) an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force, 2) the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration, and 3) for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How does the mass of an object affect the force of gravity?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational force. This means that two objects with larger masses will exert a stronger force of attraction towards each other compared to two objects with smaller masses.

What is the relationship between distance and the force of gravity?

The force of gravity between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force of gravity decreases.

How does the Law of Gravitation explain the motion of planets?

The Law of Gravitation explains that the gravitational force between a planet and the Sun keeps the planet in its orbit. The planet's velocity and the Sun's gravitational force create a state of equilibrium, resulting in a circular orbit around the Sun.