1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Laws to explain !

1. Oct 23, 2014 #1
    Use Newton's to explain :

When you take a step, you push down and back on the earth and the earth pushes up and forward on you. When you step on a skateboeard, the skateboard moves backward as you push down and back. Why does the skateboard move backward while the earth does not even if the force is the same?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2014 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What makes you think the Earth doesn't move?

How much more massive is the Earth than a skateboard?

4. Oct 23, 2014 #3
    Could you explain why ? I need details for this answer

5. Oct 23, 2014 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Sorry. I went back and edited my answer once I realized that this is a homework question.

If you are studying Newton, you are familiar with F=ma?

6. Oct 23, 2014 #5
    I need to explain details for this question

7. Oct 23, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It would defeat the point of the exercise if any of us provided you with a detailed answer.
    You have to provide the details yourself.

But the start has been given to you. The questions are there to guide you.
    If you try to walk on a wheeled platform, i.e. the skateboard, the platform goes backwards over the ground ... why does it do that? Can you tell us in your own words?

If you walk on the Earth ... you have to push on the Earth. The Earth is just another mass ... what happens to masses when you push on them?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted