Why does a skateboard move backward when you push on it, but the Earth does not?

In summary, when walking or stepping on a skateboard, you push down and back on the Earth and the Earth pushes up and forward on you. This is due to Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The reason why the skateboard moves backwards while the Earth does not is because the Earth is much more massive than the skateboard. This is explained by Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration. As the Earth has a much larger mass, it requires a much larger force to produce the same acceleration as the skateboard. Finally, when asked for details on explaining why the skateboard moves backwards, it is important to understand that it is the result of the
LindaJalie
Use Newton's to explain :

When you take a step, you push down and back on the Earth and the Earth pushes up and forward on you. When you step on a skateboeard, the skateboard moves backward as you push down and back. Why does the skateboard move backward while the Earth does not even if the force is the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think the Earth doesn't move?

How much more massive is the Earth than a skateboard?

DaveC426913 said:
It does. But the Earth masses as much as 6 million billion billion skateboards. It moves one 6 million billion billionths as much.

Could you explain why ? I need details for this answer

Sorry. I went back and edited my answer once I realized that this is a homework question.

If you are studying Newton, you are familiar with F=ma?

DaveC426913 said:
Sorry. I went back and edited my answer once I realized that this is a homework question.

If you are studying Newton, you are familiar with F=ma?

I need to explain details for this question

Could you explain why ? I need details for this answer.
... I need to explain details for this question
It would defeat the point of the exercise if any of us provided you with a detailed answer.
You have to provide the details yourself.

But the start has been given to you. The questions are there to guide you.
If you try to walk on a wheeled platform, i.e. the skateboard, the platform goes backwards over the ground ... why does it do that? Can you tell us in your own words?

If you walk on the Earth ... you have to push on the Earth. The Earth is just another mass ... what happens to masses when you push on them?

Likes LindaJalie

What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century that explain how objects move and interact with forces.

What is the first law of motion?

The first law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the second law of motion?

The second law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

What is the third law of motion?

The third law, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back.

How do Newton's Laws apply to everyday life?

Newton's Laws can be seen in many everyday situations, such as a book at rest on a table (first law), a car accelerating down the road (second law), and a person pushing against a wall (third law). Understanding these laws can also help us design and improve technologies, such as cars and airplanes.