Newton's Method/Trapezoidal Rule

• Thread starter johnhuntsman
  • Start date
In summary, my professor had asked that I solve the follwing problem using Newton's Method and the Trapezoidal Rule:- A company modeled the demand curve for its product (in dollars) by the equation p = (800000e^(- x / 5000)) / (x + 20000).- Use Newton's Method to estimate the sales level (x I'm pretty sure) when the selling price is $16. Then find the approximate consumer surplus for this level.- I'm currently stuck on how Newton's Method is meant to find x when p = 16.- The derivative of p is: - (160e^(- x / 5000) * (x + 25000)) / (x + 200
johnhuntsman
My professor had asked that I solve the follwing problem using Newton's Method and the Trapezoidal Rule:

"A company modeled the demand curve for its product (in dollars) by the equation

p = (800000e^(- x / 5000)) / (x + 20000).

Use Newton's Method to estimate the sales level (x I'm pretty sure) when the selling price is $16. Then find the approximate consumer surplus for this level."

I'm currently stuck on how Newton's Method is meant to find x when p = 16.

The derivative of p is:

- (160e^(- x / 5000) * (x + 25000)) / (x + 20000) ^ 2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
johnhuntsman said:
My professor had asked that I solve the follwing problem using Newton's Method and the Trapezoidal Rule:

"A company modeled the demand curve for its product (in dollars) by the equation

Use Newton's Method to estimate the sales level (x I'm pretty sure) when the selling price is $16. Then find the approximate consumer surplus for this level."

The derivative of p is:

To get Newton's Method started, you need an initial guess for x.
What is the value of p when x is zero? If this is close to 16, this value of x might be a good initial guess for Newton's method. What is the initial error in p for this value of x? What is the Newton Method formula?

Chestermiller said:
To get Newton's Method started, you need an initial guess for x.
What is the value of p when x is zero? If this is close to 16, this value of x might be a good initial guess for Newton's method. What is the initial error in p for this value of x? What is the Newton Method formula?

x is never equal to zero. That's the thing. Unless I'm mistaken.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y+=+(800000e^(-x/5000))/(x+20000)

p = 40 when x = 0

johnhuntsman said:
p = 40 when x = 0

Good. Now, the problem you are trying to solve is:

f(x) = (800000e^(- x / 5000)) / (x + 20000) -16 =0

Your initial guess is x =0, and at x = 0, f(x) = 40 -16 = 34

Your Newton method equation is:

xn+1 = xn-f(xn)/f '(xn)

with x1 =0 and f(x1)= 34

Now find f ' (x1) , and then x2

If that's not close enough to satisfy f(x) = 0, do another iteration.

I see now what to do now. Thanks bunches : D

johnhuntsman said:

The derivative of p is:

In problems of this type it is always a good idea to "scale" the problem properly (even if you use a computer!). Instead of x it would be better to use, say y = x/5000, so your equation becomes p = 800,000 exp(-y)/(5000 y + 20,000) = 160*exp(-y)/(y+4).

Now, for p = 16 you need to solve 10*exp(-y) = y+4, or 10*exp(y)-y-4 = 0. Using f(y) = 10*exp(-y) - y - 4 instead of 160*exp(-y)/(y+4)-16 is a lot easier in Newton's method, since the derivative is a lot easier.

RGV

What is Newton's Method?

Newton's Method is an algorithm used to find the roots or solutions of a given equation. It involves repeatedly using an initial guess to approximate the root of the equation.

How does Newton's Method work?

Newton's Method works by first selecting an initial guess for the root of the equation. Then, using the derivative of the equation, the algorithm finds the slope of the curve at that point. The x-intercept of this tangent line is then used as the next guess for the root. This process is repeated until a satisfactory approximation of the root is achieved.

What is the Trapezoidal Rule?

The Trapezoidal Rule is a numerical integration method used to approximate the value of a definite integral. It involves dividing the area under the curve into trapezoids and summing their areas to find an estimate of the integral.

How accurate is Newton's Method?

Newton's Method can be very accurate if the initial guess is close enough to the actual root of the equation. However, if the initial guess is not close enough, the algorithm may not converge to the correct root or may take a longer time to do so.

What are the limitations of the Trapezoidal Rule?

The Trapezoidal Rule can only be used for approximating the value of a definite integral and cannot be applied to indefinite integrals. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of trapezoids used, so a larger number of trapezoids is needed for more accurate results.