1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Next Direction in Advanced Mechanics?

1. Jun 24, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I am currently pursuing a BS in Mechanical Engineering at Cal Poly Pomona and I have a few questions regarding some personal direction in the study of mechanics, mostly around the area of dynamics and systems.

In order to graduate from CPP with a BS in ME the only considerations for dynamics are a thorough knowledge of 2D mechanics and systems and a very limited one of those in the 3D case. However I tend to do a lot of additional study on my own which sometimes wanders into graduate school territory.

I've been looking lately a lot of advanced methods for mechanical analysis such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics but I also realize I'm quite a ways from really understand what is going on (even mathematically) with those methods. So I am curious if someone could point me in the right direction for some books I could self-study leading to those more advanced topics. I currently have an excellent grasp on analytic calculus methods and differential equation applications (ODE's only) but there also seems to be a need to understand something calculus of variations which I am not familiar with.

So can anyone recommend some books or study sites? I am not opposed to purchasing textbooks either, knowledge comes at a cost.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook