Next level up from pop science texts?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in self studying astrophysics at a non-academic professional level. They mention going through Khan Academy material in math, physics, and astronomy and express a desire for textbooks that go beyond the pop science level but do not require advanced math courses. Several recommendations are given, including a book on astrophysics, a series of books and online videos for those wanting a deeper understanding, and courses from The Great Courses and Yale. The individual also mentions a preference for books that focus on physics rather than mathematics, and suggests checking for sales on the recommended materials. Finally, they offer a personal recommendation for a book on cosmology that is only about 130 pages long and does not require advanced math.
Gleaner
I am looking into self studying astrophysics, but not to an academic professional level. I am at the moment going through the Khan Academy material in maths, physics and astronomy.
I am in no hurry to grasp all the material, as my reason for self study is more interest than professional related.
But saying that are there any textbooks for astrophysics/physics that are beyond the pop science level which has basic math?
At the same time not needing to take an advance course in maths to understand.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps this book would be good:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393609391/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Physics wise there Leonard Suskinds Theoretical Minimum series of three books and some online videos:

http://theoreticalminimum.com/

These are for folks who want more math and deeper understanding of things they've studied years ago but never quite mastered.

Also the Great Courses has a course on Astrophysics taught by Tyson:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/my-favorite-universe.html

and others here:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/search/?q=astronomy

and this one been around for a long time by Alex Fillopenko:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/cour...an-introduction-to-astronomy-2nd-edition.html

Disregard the prices shown and wait for them to go on sale. I think all of them come up that way once a year.

Likes QuantumQuest and UsableThought
Try R. Shankar's lectures on YouTube or Yale's open course website. He's compiled them into two textbooks called Fundamentals of Physics I and II, also.

I like M. Lachieze-Rey, Cosmology: A First Course
It contains basic calculus, but not tensor calculus of general-relativity formalism. The emphasis is on physics (in cosmology), not on mathematics. And it is only about 130 pages long.

Likes smodak and jedishrfu

1. What does "next level up" mean in relation to pop science texts?

The term "next level up" refers to scientific texts that are more advanced and detailed than popular science texts. These texts are typically written for a more specialized audience and assume a greater understanding of scientific concepts and terminology.

2. How do next level up science texts differ from popular science texts?

Next level up science texts are typically more technical and in-depth, providing a more detailed analysis of scientific concepts and research findings. They may also assume a higher level of scientific literacy and may not include as much background information or simplification of complex concepts as popular science texts.

3. Who are the intended audiences for next level up science texts?

Next level up science texts are typically written for scientists, researchers, and other professionals in the field who have a strong understanding of the subject matter. They may also be used in advanced college courses for students pursuing degrees in related fields.

4. What topics are typically covered in next level up science texts?

Next level up science texts cover a wide range of topics within a specific scientific field, such as biology, chemistry, physics, or neuroscience. These texts may delve into current research findings, theories, and methodologies within the field, and may also include case studies and data analysis.

5. How can I determine if a science text is considered "next level up"?

The best way to determine if a science text is considered "next level up" is to read reviews and synopses of the text, as well as the author's credentials and intended audience. You can also compare the level of detail and complexity to other popular science texts on the same topic. Additionally, the publisher may indicate the intended readership on the book's cover or description.