What is the Best Experiment to Illustrify the Law of Universal Gravitation?

In summary, two students were looking for a gravity experiment that is easy to do and yields a reliable result. They found a few experiments that are feasible and scale well.
shpotes
I want to explain the law of universal gravitation but i need an experiment to ilustrate it, any can help me?

What do you think are the best gravity experiment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Jumping off a cliff
Nah, I'm kidding. What exactly do you mean by gravity experiment?

shpotes said:
I want to explain the law of universal gravitation but i need an experiment to ilustrate it, any can help me?
In order to show gravity you would have to do something like the Cavendish experiment using a torsion balance with large masses. It is probably best to show a video of the experiment rather than doing it because it is very difficult to set up.

AM

shpotes said:
What do you mean by a "good" experiment? Simple yet profound? An intensely demanding technical effort?

I merged two threads.

You can let two things of different mass and shape fall down and compare the time they need. If you have access to a vacuum, you can use a feather and some compact dense object (like a steel ball) to make the experiment better.
The same experiment has been done on the moon - you don't have access to the moon in the classroom, but you can show the video.

Andrew Mason said:
n order to show gravity you would have to do something like the Cavendish experiment
That is a beautiful experiment. You should definitely check it out

shpotes said:

I kinda like this one:

Likes whitsona
The gravitational constant G is too small to measure in most school labs. To recreate Cavendish would be too difficult for most high schools or universities.

But you can experimentally derive a maximum value for G.

Two buckets of water, each about 7 kg, 1 meter apart, would take about 9 hours to "fall" to each other if placed on a perfectly friction-free tabletop.

Intuitively the students know this won't happen.

Find the coefficient of static friction between the bucket and the table by inclining the table until the bucket slides. Then measure the slope. (either rise over run or tan of the angle) .

Let's assume it's 0.3.

The force of static friction must be at least as strong as the gravitational force between the buckets, or the buckets will begin to slide towards each other.

Now the competition between the students is to see who can experimentally measure the smallest value. They'll never get close to 6.67e-11. The competition is really who can find the densest objects (so they minimize the distance while maximizing mass) and the smoothest surface (but don't tell them that. Let them figure it out from the formulas). Don't use round objects. They must slide!
[tex]\begin{array}{l} f_s \ge \frac{{GMm}}{{r^2 }} \\ \mu _{s,\max } mg \ge \frac{{Gmm}}{{r^2 }} \\ \mu _{s,\max } g \ge \frac{{Gm}}{{r^2 }} \\ \frac{{\mu _{s,\max } gr^2 }}{m} \ge \frac{G}{{}} \\ G \le \frac{{\mu _{s,\max } gr^2 }}{m} \\ G \le \frac{{0.3\left( {9.8\,{\rm{m/s}}^{\rm{2}} } \right)\left( {1\,{\rm{m}}} \right)^2 }}{{7\,{\rm{kg}}}} \\ G \le 0.42\,\frac{{{\rm{m}}^{\rm{3}} }}{{{\rm{kg - s}}^{\rm{2}} }} \\ \end{array}[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes Student100 and Greg Bernhardt
You can improve that limit by at least one order of magnitude with a mass attached to a string. Probably two orders of magnitude. It will also make the experiment easier because you don't have to measure the sliding angle.
You get several orders of magnitude more if you do a Cavendish-like experiment to derive an upper limit.

We had that experiment in university, and the result was reasonable (~10% uncertainty).

I believe Iowa State has their undergrads measure G. It's much easier than in Cavendish's day, with cameras and lasers available and cheap. It's important to understand how this experiment scales, or rather, how it doesn't. A bigger experiment is no better.

https://www.fourmilab.ch/gravitation/foobar/ has some interesting stuff on home gravity experiments.

Likes whitsona
Hello,
Thought i am not an educator but just an eight grade student i want to share me and my team work we did to explain a gravity project. I believe it is worthless doing it if we don't share it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-91fm1d7JtKbkN3UFY4WlljSWM/view?usp=sharing

Regards!

And here also a balance experiment.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-91fm1d7JtKN1d0VFpUNjZNVDA/view?usp=sharing

Regards!

Creator said:
I kinda like this one:

I've been looking at this one lately as well. Has anyone done it?

Cavendish had to spend so much time avoiding air currents, etc. that I've been wondering about how feasible it is.

whitsona said:
I've been looking at this one lately as well. Has anyone done it?

Cavendish had to spend so much time avoiding air currents, etc. that I've been wondering about how feasible it is.

Oh! Just went to the link that Vanadium 50 posted. The water break seems to be the piece of it that I was missing! Can't wait to try this.

What is the "Nice gravity experiment"?

The "Nice gravity experiment" is a scientific experiment that aims to study the effects of gravity on objects in a controlled setting.

Why is the "Nice gravity experiment" important?

The "Nice gravity experiment" is important because it helps scientists understand the fundamental force of gravity, which plays a crucial role in the functioning of the universe.

How does the "Nice gravity experiment" work?

The "Nice gravity experiment" typically involves dropping objects of different masses from a certain height and measuring their acceleration due to gravity. This data is then used to calculate the gravitational force between the objects and the Earth.

What are some potential applications of the "Nice gravity experiment"?

The "Nice gravity experiment" can help scientists develop a better understanding of gravity, which can have various applications such as in space travel, satellite navigation, and even in the design of buildings and structures.

What are some challenges of conducting the "Nice gravity experiment"?

Some challenges of conducting the "Nice gravity experiment" include controlling external factors that may affect the results, such as air resistance and variations in the Earth's gravitational field, and ensuring accurate and precise measurements.