Nilpotent Matrix A = {{{021,002,000}}}: What is its index?

• Thread starter Bob Ho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Index
In summary, a square matrix is nilpotent of index k if A is not equal to zero, A^2 is not equal to zero, and so on until A^(k-1) is not equal to zero, but A^k is equal to zero for some positive integer k. To verify that A={{{021,002,000}}} is nilpotent, the index is found to be 3 by computing successive powers of A until it equals zero. Additionally, to show that (I-A)^(-1)=(I+A+A^2), one can simply check if (I-A)*(I+A+A^2)=I, using the fact that A^3=0.
Bob Ho

Homework Statement

A square(nxn) matrix is called nilpotent of index k if A[tex]\neq[/tex]0, A^2[tex]\neq[/tex]0,...A^(k-1)[tex]\neq[/tex]0, But A^k=0 for some positive integer K

Verify that A={{{021,002,000}}} is nilpotent. What is its index? Show that for this matrix (I-A)-1= I + A + A^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure how different values of k affects the matrix... but For the equation (I-A)-1= I + A + A^2, I found the inverse of (I-A) which was {{{125,012,001}}}, which then gave me A^2 as {{{004,000,001}}}.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You got the inverse of (I-A) ok. I'm assuming by A2 you mean A^2 (i.e. A squared, A times A). That didn't come out right. To find the index of A just keep computing successive powers A until you get zero. What is the index? To show (I-A)^(-1)=(I+A+A^2) you just want to show (I-A)*(I+A+A^2)=I. To do that you don't even need the numerical value of A once you've found it's index.

Thanks alot! I figured out A^3=0 so I am assuming the nilpotent matrix is of index 3.
I'm not sure how you managed to get the equation "(I-A)*(I+A+A^2)=I." I just did I=(I-A)^-1 -A - A^2. Would that also be suitable?

You've got the index too. So A^3=0. If C^(-1)=D then that just means C*D=I. So to check if (I-A)^(-1)=(I+A+A^2) just check whether (I-A)*(I+A+A^2)=I. That's where I got it. To check that just multiply that expression out. Remembering A^3=0.

1. What is a nilpotent matrix?

A nilpotent matrix is a square matrix where some power of the matrix equals the zero matrix. In other words, there exists some positive integer n such that An = 0, where A is the matrix in question.

2. What is the index of a nilpotent matrix?

The index of a nilpotent matrix is the smallest positive integer n such that An = 0, where A is the matrix in question. This number represents the number of times the matrix must be multiplied by itself before it becomes the zero matrix.

3. Can a non-square matrix be nilpotent?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be nilpotent. This is because only square matrices can be raised to powers, and a non-square matrix cannot have a defined power.

4. What is the relation between the index and the size of a nilpotent matrix?

The index of a nilpotent matrix can never be larger than the size of the matrix. In fact, the index can only be equal to or less than the size of the matrix. Additionally, the index cannot be smaller than the size of the matrix if the matrix is not the zero matrix.

5. How can the index of a nilpotent matrix be determined?

The index of a nilpotent matrix can be determined by finding the powers of the matrix until the zero matrix is obtained. The index is then the smallest power used in this process. Alternatively, the index can also be found by finding the largest power of the matrix that results in a non-zero matrix.