Proof of Nilpotent Matrix: Strictly Upper Triangular Matrices

• Thread starter geoffrey159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, to prove that strictly upper triangular ##n\times n## matrices are nilpotent, we can use the fact that the characteristic polynomial of such matrices is ##x^n##, which leads to ##A^n = 0## by the Cayley-Hamilton theorem. This shows that all powers of the matrix after the ##n##th power are also zero, making the matrix nilpotent.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

Show that strictly upper triangular ##n\times n## matrices are nilpotent.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##f## be the endomorphism represented by the strict upper triangular matrix ##M## in basis ##{\cal B} = (e_1,...,e_n)##.
We have that ##f(e_k) \in \text{span}(e_1,...,e_{k-1})##, ##(f\circ f)(e_k)\in f(\text{span}(e_1,...,e_{k-1}))= \text{span}(f(e_1),...,f(e_{k-1})) \subset \text{span}(e_1,...,e_{k-2}) ##... Repeating this process, we are sure that ##f^{(k)}(e_k) = 0##. So ##\ell\ge n \Rightarrow M^\ell = 0 ##, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
geoffrey159 said:

Homework Statement

Show that strictly upper triangular ##n\times n## matrices are nilpotent.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##f## be the endomorphism represented by the strictly upper triangular matrix ##M## in basis ##{\cal B} = (e_1,...,e_n)##.
We have that ##f(e_k) \in \text{span}(e_1,...,e_{k-1})##, ##(f\circ f)(e_k)\in f(\text{span}(e_1,...,e_{k-1}))= \text{span}(f(e_1),...,f(e_{k-1})) \subset \text{span}(e_1,...,e_{k-2}) ##... Repeating this process, we are sure that ##f^{(k)}(e_k) = 0##. So ##\ell\ge n \Rightarrow M^\ell = 0 ##, right?

So you want to show ##M_{ij}^k = 0## for some positive integer ##k##.

If I'm reading your post correctly, you're saying ##f(e_k) = \text{Some strictly upper triangular matrix M}## for any basis vector in ##\cal B##.

I think it looks okay, but the notation is a little confusing. When you write ##f^{(k)}(e_k) = 0##, some people may get confused, and so I think it is better to write it as:

$${(f(e_k))}^k = 0$$

To signify you want the ##\text{k}^{th}## power of the morphism of the ##{e_k}^{th}## basis vector.

If ##{(f(e_k))}^k = M_{ij}^k = 0## for some positive integer ##k##, then you can go as far as to say ##M_{ij}^{\ell} = 0, \forall \ell \geq k##. This is intuitive because eventually with so many powers of the matrix, there will be enough zeroes to multiply and produce the zero matrix. Then you can assume every matrix power afterwards is the zero matrix.

Last edited:
Likes geoffrey159
There is an alternate way to prove this:

Suppose ##A \in M_{n \times n}( \mathbb{F} )## is a strictly upper triangular matrix. Then ##A## has characteristic polynomial ##x^n##. Using the the fact:

$$p( \lambda ) = \text{det}(A - \lambda I)$$

You can deduce ##A^n = 0##.

Likes geoffrey159
Hello,

Zondrina said:
So you want to show ##M_{ij}^k = 0## for some positive integer ##k##.

Yes
Zondrina said:
If I'm reading your post correctly, you're saying ##f(e_k) = \text{Some strictly upper triangular matrix M}## for any basis vector in ##\cal B##.

##f(e_k)## is the k-th column of matrix ##M##, which is strictly upper triangular

Zondrina said:
I think it looks okay, but the notation is a little confusing. When you write ##f^{(k)}(e_k) = 0##, some people may get confused, and so I think it is better to write it as:

$${(f(e_k))}^k = 0$$
To signify you want the ##\text{k}^{th}## power of the morphism of the ##{e_k}^{th}## basis vector.
By ##f^{(k)}##, I meant the k-th composition by ##f## (##f\circ ... \circ f## k times), not the k-th power.

Zondrina said:
If ##{(f(e_k))}^k = M_{ij}^k = 0## for some positive integer ##k##, then you can go as far as to say ##M_{ij}^{\ell} = 0, \forall \ell \geq k##. This is intuitive because eventually with so many powers of the matrix, there will be enough zeroes to multiply and produce the zero matrix. Then you can assume every matrix power afterwards is the zero matrix.

##f^{(k)}(e_k) = 0## means the k-th column is zero after k multiplications of M by itself, not that the whole matrix is zero, right ?
Zondrina said:
There is an alternate way to prove this:

Suppose ##A \in M_{n \times n}( \mathbb{F} )## is a strictly upper triangular matrix. Then ##A## has characteristic polynomial ##x^n##. Using the the fact:

$$p( \lambda ) = \text{det}(A - \lambda I)$$

You can deduce ##A^n = 0##.

I don't understand, could you elaborate please?

geoffrey159 said:
I don't understand, could you elaborate please?
Look up the Cayley-Hamilton theorem.

Likes geoffrey159
geoffrey159 said:
By ##f^{(k)}##, I meant the k-th composition by ff (f∘...∘ff\circ ... \circ f k times), not the k-th power.

I was quite confused by the notation when I first looked at it.

If you want help with the alternate proof, show some of your thoughts.

Likes geoffrey159
vela said:
Look up the Cayley-Hamilton theorem.
Zondrina said:
I was quite confused by the notation when I first looked at it.

If you want help with the alternate proof, show some of your thoughts.

Sorry, I was very lazy yesterday.
Your idea is the most simple math proof ever ! My thought on this is (Wikipedia's thought :biggrin:) is that the caracteristic polynomial is zero in ##A##, so that ## 0 = p(A) = (-1)^n A^n \iff A^n = 0##.
What a nice idea !

1. What is a nilpotent matrix?

A nilpotent matrix is a square matrix where some power of the matrix equals the zero matrix. In other words, there exists a positive integer k such that A^k = 0, where A is the nilpotent matrix.

2. How do you know if a matrix is strictly upper triangular?

A strictly upper triangular matrix is a square matrix where all the entries below the main diagonal are zero. To determine if a matrix is strictly upper triangular, you can simply check if all the entries below the main diagonal are zero.

3. Why are nilpotent matrices important in mathematics?

Nilpotent matrices have many applications in mathematics, such as in linear algebra, differential equations, and representation theory. They also have connections to other important concepts, such as Jordan canonical form and nilpotent Lie algebras.

4. How can you prove that a strictly upper triangular matrix is nilpotent?

To prove that a strictly upper triangular matrix is nilpotent, you can use the Cayley-Hamilton theorem. This theorem states that every square matrix satisfies its own characteristic polynomial. Since the characteristic polynomial of a strictly upper triangular matrix is x^n, where n is the size of the matrix, we know that the matrix raised to the power of n will equal the zero matrix, making it nilpotent.

5. Can a non-square strictly upper triangular matrix be nilpotent?

No, a non-square strictly upper triangular matrix cannot be nilpotent. This is because the power of a non-square matrix cannot be defined. In order for a matrix to be nilpotent, there must exist a positive integer k such that A^k = 0, but in the case of a non-square matrix, A^k is undefined.