Nitrogen Ground State: 2s^2 2p^3 ^4 S_{3/2}

In summary, the ground state for a nitrogen atom has a fully filled 1s shell and half filled 2p shell with a configuration of ##2s^2 2p^3##. The ground state is at ##^4 S_{3/2}## and the first two excited states are at ##^2 D_{5/2, 3/2}## and ##^2 P_{3/2, 1/2}##. Excited states are typically determined by the configuration, but in the case of nitrogen, the lowest energy absorption transition is to the 2p23s state. However, the other excited states may be observed in the emission spectrum.
pyroknife
I am looking over my notes for quantum mechanics, particularly for electronic state classification for nitrogen.
At ground state, nitrogen atom's 1s and 2s shells are fully filled and the 2p shell is half filled, thus the configuration is:
##2s^2 2p^3##
There are 3 different angular momentum terms:
##^4 S_{3/2}##, ##^2 D_{5/2, 3/2}##, ##^2 P_{3/2, 1/2}##

In my notes it says that the ground state is at ##^4 S_{3/2}##
and the first 2 excited states are at ##^2 D_{5/2, 3/2}##, ##^2 P_{3/2, 1/2}##.

I am confused. I thought excited states don't have anything to do with the angular momentum terms, but instead, it only has to do with the configuration. My understanding for excited state is that one of the electrons from the 2p subshell occupies a higher state. So wouldn't that make ##2s^2 2p^2 3s## the first excited electronic state?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The ground electronic configuration can have different energy levels. In a regular absorption spectrum, however, you will not see lines corresponding to those levels, as the selection rule ##\Delta l = \pm1## is not satisfied. The lowest energy absorption transition will be to the 2p23s, as you correctly noted.

Nevertheless, the ##^2 D_{5/2, 3/2}##, and ##^2 P_{3/2, 1/2}## levels are there, and may be observed in the emission spectrum.

1. What is the ground state electron configuration for nitrogen?

The ground state electron configuration for nitrogen is 2s^2 2p^3 ^4 S_{3/2}. This means that there are 2 electrons in the 2s orbital and 3 electrons in the 2p orbital, giving a total of 5 electrons in the valence shell.

2. What does the "2s^2" and "2p^3" notation mean?

The "2s^2" notation indicates that there are 2 electrons in the 2s orbital, while the "2p^3" notation indicates that there are 3 electrons in the 2p orbital. The superscripts represent the number of electrons in each orbital.

3. What is the significance of the "^4 S_{3/2}" in the electron configuration?

The "^4 S_{3/2}" represents the total spin and angular momentum of the electrons in the valence shell. The "S" indicates that the electrons have a total spin of 0, and the "3/2" represents the total angular momentum of the electrons in the valence shell.

4. How does the electron configuration of nitrogen affect its chemical properties?

The electron configuration of nitrogen, specifically the 2p^3 orbital, makes it a highly reactive element. It has 3 unpaired electrons in its valence shell, making it eager to form bonds with other atoms to achieve a more stable configuration. This makes nitrogen an important element in many chemical reactions.

5. What is the difference between the ground state and excited state of nitrogen?

The ground state of nitrogen is the lowest energy state that its electrons can occupy. The excited state refers to any higher energy state that an electron can occupy when it absorbs energy. In the excited state, an electron may move to a higher energy orbital, such as the 3s or 3p orbitals, before eventually returning to the ground state.