No 2D momentum average for a particle in a box?

In summary: I think that's what you're trying to do.Think about the relation between <p^2> and <E> is, considering that the Hamiltonian is H=p^2/2m inside the box. Try doing it for the 1D case then go for the 2D case.@bp_psy,In summary, the physics major is looking for help from the physics department to complete quantum mechanics. He posted a question about a problem he is having and asks for help from anyone. After posting, he provides a one-dimensional and two-dimensional example of what he is talking about.
Duave
Hello Everyone, Happy Thanksgiving. I have physics issues. I went around the entire boundless universe in the last two days, and found out the Schrodinger forgot to develop the math for the momentum expectation value for a 2-D particle in a box. It's nowhere to be found. I am a chemistry major, and so I need help from the physics department to engineer the math to complete quantum mechanics. Can anyone help me with my marvelous discovery below? It's series of equations used as an attempt to solve the problem that I posted. Everyone's help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Homework Statement

Suppose that a particle of mass m is confined to a rectangular region between 0<x<L and 0<y<L/2 by an infinitely high potential energy function.

Calculate the expectation value p[itex]^{2}[/itex], the square of the magnitude of the momentum

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

p^2(x)=∫(2/L) sin(n*pi*x/L)(ih[d/dx](2/L) sin(n*pi*x/L)dx
p^2(y)=∫(4/L) sin(2n*pi*y/L)(ih[d/dx](4/L) sin(2n*pi*y/L)dy
<p^2> =p^2(x) +p^2(y)
<p^2> =1/2 +1
<p^2> =3/2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The basic idea is good but the results of your integrals are wrong.
On the other hand this problem is usually done without doing the integrals.:wink:
Think about the relation between <p^2> and <E> is, considering that the Hamiltonian is H=p^2/2m inside the box. Try doing it for the 1D case then go for the 2D case.

Likes 1 person
@bp_psy,

Thank you for your response. The image that I posted is of the one-dimensional case.

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/541843_10151745284505919_675157014_n.jpg

It's all over the internet, and I still had to ask about the 2D case. I don't understand "how to take it to the next level".

1. The problem statement (with respect to your response)

I'm not sure if I can just solve P^2 by simply:

P^2(x)/2m = E

3. The Attempt at a Solution (with respect to your response)

P^2(x)= 2m*E
E=[itex]\frac{h^2}{8mL^2}[/itex]*[n^2(i) +4*n^2(ii)]

hence,

P^2(x)= 2m*[itex]\frac{h^2}{8mL^2}[/itex]*[n^2(i) +n^2(ii)]

hence,

P^2(y)= 2m*[itex]\frac{h^2}{8mL^2}[/itex]*[n^2(i) +4*n^2(ii)]

P^2= P^2(x) + P^2(y)

P^2= {2m*[itex]\frac{h^2}{8mL^2}[/itex]*[n^2(i) +n^2(ii)]} + {2m*[itex]\frac{h^2}{8mL^2}[/itex]*[n^2(i) +4*n^2(ii)]}

P^2= 2m*E

{2m*[itex]\frac{h^2}{8mL^2}[/itex]*[n^2(i) +n^2(ii)]} + {2m*[itex]\frac{h^2}{8mL^2}[/itex]*[n^2(i) +4*n^2(ii)]} = [itex]\frac{h^2}{8mL^2}[/itex]*[n^2(i) +4*n^2(ii)]

I'M LOST...

You seem to get the basic idea but you should always mark when you are talking about expectations <p(x)>^2 is not the same as p(x)^2 and E is not the same as <E>.
Duave said:
@bp_psy,

P^2(x)= 2m*E
E=[itex]\frac{h^2}{8mL^2}[/itex]*[n^2(i) +4*n^2(ii)]

No each direction is associated with some of the energy not the whole energy.So just one of the ns, n_x for p_x and n_y for p_y

In this case <p>^2/2m=(1/2m)(<p(x)>^2+<p(y)>^2)=<E>=<E_x>+<E_y>. Each component of the momentum is associated with some of the energy. The energy associated with each direction is the same as for the the 1D case You are also missing some ∏ factors and you forget to simplify some m factors.

Duave said:
Hello Everyone, Happy Thanksgiving. I have physics issues. I went around the entire boundless universe in the last two days, and found out the Schrodinger forgot to develop the math for the momentum expectation value for a 2-D particle in a box. It's nowhere to be found. I am a chemistry major, and so I need help from the physics department to engineer the math to complete quantum mechanics. Can anyone help me with my marvelous discovery below? It's series of equations used as an attempt to solve the problem that I posted. Everyone's help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Homework Statement

Suppose that a particle of mass m is confined to a rectangular region between 0<x<L and 0<y<L/2 by an infinitely high potential energy function.

Calculate the expectation value p[itex]^{2}[/itex], the square of the magnitude of the momentum

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

p^2(x)=∫(2/L) sin(n*pi*x/L)(ih[d/dx](2/L) sin(n*pi*x/L)dx
p^2(y)=∫(4/L) sin(2n*pi*y/L)(ih[d/dx](4/L) sin(2n*pi*y/L)dy
<p^2> =p^2(x) +p^2(y)
<p^2> =1/2 +1
<p^2> =3/2

This is how to proceed with calculating any expectation value (this has nothing to do with physics by the way, it's elementary probability theory). And you're basically right, except you're trying to calculate the average of p^2, yet you're only applying p once in the integral. Make sure you apply p two times to get the average of p^2.

I'm not sure what you're doing in line 3, but just compute the integral you have there in line 2 with the momentum operator applied twice over the region where the wave function is not zero.

Likes 1 person

Related to No 2D momentum average for a particle in a box?

1. Why is there no 2D momentum average for a particle in a box?

The reason for this is because a particle in a box is confined to a specific region and cannot move freely in all directions, therefore it cannot have a 2D momentum average.

2. How does the 2D momentum of a particle in a box differ from a free particle?

A free particle can move freely in all directions, therefore it has a 2D momentum. However, a particle in a box is confined to a specific region and cannot have a 2D momentum average.

3. Can a particle in a box have a 1D momentum average?

Yes, a particle in a box can have a 1D momentum average as it is still able to move in one direction within the confined region.

4. What is the significance of a particle having a 2D momentum average?

A 2D momentum average is a measure of the particle's overall motion and direction in two dimensions. It can provide information about the particle's velocity and kinetic energy.

5. Are there any real-world applications for studying the 2D momentum of particles in a box?

Yes, the concept of particles in a box and their momentum can be applied to various fields such as quantum mechanics, nanotechnology, and material science. It can also help in understanding the behavior of particles in confined spaces, such as in biological systems or electronic devices.