No. of Quantum states available

In summary, the question was about the number of quantum states available to an electron confined within a distance of 10Å and with a maximum speed of 10^7 m/s. This can be calculated by dividing the total area of the phase space by the area of one cell, which is equal to Planck's constant h. The correct answer is 27, not 0.27.
Saptarshi Sarkar
Homework Statement
Consider an electron moving in 1D and confined within 0.1Å and it's speed not exceeding 10^7 m/s. The number of quantum states available to the electron is

a) 10^4
b) 56
c) 48
d) 27
Relevant Equations
n= x_0*p_0/h
I calculated the total area of phase space and divided it by the area of one cell i.e. h.

n = (x_0*m*2*v)/h

=> n = (0.1 x 10^-10 x 9.1 x 10^-31 x 2 x 10^7)/6.626 x 10^-34

=> n = 0.27

This answer doesn't match with any of the options. What did I do wrong?

Edit: The question was printed wrong, the confinement distance should be 10Å instead of 0.1. Answer comes out as 27.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Can't understand what you are doing. Where does ##n= x_0\,p_0/h ## come from ? and how does it lead to ##n = x_0 \,m\,2\,v/h ## ? Does that mean ##p_0 = 2mv## ?

Do you know about particles confined to a box ?

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
BvU said:
Hi,
Can't understand what you are doing. Where does ##n= x_0\,p_0/h ## come from ? and how does it lead to ##n = x_0 \,m\,2\,v/h ## ? Does that mean ##p_0 = 2mv## ?

Do you know about particles confined to a box ?

This question is from Statistical Mechanics

##n= x_0\,p_0/h ## is the number of cells of area h in the phase space (momentum vs position space) of the particle. It is the no of different possible cells the particle might be in.

##n = x_0 \,m\,2\,v/h ## was used as the momentum can be both positive and negetive, so the total area of phase space doubles.

I see. Wherever the Planck constant pops up, you are in the realm of quantum mechanics. I strongly suspect your ##n= x_0\,p_0/h## is not the right expression to use...

What do you think of the expressions in the link I gave ?

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
BvU said:
I see. Wherever the Planck constant pops up, you are in the realm of quantum mechanics. I strongly suspect your ##n= x_0\,p_0/h## is not the right expression to use...

What do you think of the expressions in the link I gave ?

I know about the particle in a box problem in Quantum Mechanics. But this question is about the no of cells in the phase space which is totally a mathematical concept.

In classical systems the Phase Space is made up of points where the particle can be at and in quantum mechanical systems the phase space is divided into different microstates of equal area (volume in 3D) with the area ΔxΔp=h. So, total number of cells in 2D will be total area of phase space/h.

Saptarshi Sarkar said:
I know about the particle in a box problem in Quantum Mechanics. But this question is about the no of cells in the phase space which is totally a mathematical concept.

In classical systems the Phase Space is made up of points where the particle can be at and in quantum mechanical systems the phase space is divided into different microstates of equal area (volume in 3D) with the area ΔxΔp=h. So, total number of cells in 2D will be total area of phase space/h.

The question asks for quantum states.

Saptarshi Sarkar said:
Homework Statement:: Consider an electron moving in 1D and confined within 0.1Å and it's speed not exceeding 10^7 m/s. The number of quantum states available to the electron is

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
Quantum states is what my book is calling them. I am not sure if they are the same Quantum states as Quantum eigenstates.

Attachments

• Stat Mech.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 227
Saptarshi Sarkar said:
Quantum states is what my book is calling them. I am not sure if they are the same Quantum states as Quantum eigenstates.

When it says (see the section I've underlined):

Saptarshi Sarkar said:
Homework Statement:: Consider an electron moving in 1D and confined within 0.1Å and it's speed not exceeding 10^7 m/s.

What does that mean in quantum mechanics?

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
PeroK said:
When it says (see the section I've underlined):
What does that mean in quantum mechanics?

That the magnitude of the uncertainty in momentum is ##10^{-31+7}##?

Saptarshi Sarkar said:
That the magnitude of the uncertainty in momentum is ##10^{-31+7}##?

That's not what I was thinking of. In QM the value of a dynamic quantity like speed only makes sense in the context of a measurement of that quantity - or a related quantity. In my opinion the question is poorly phrased since the electron could be in anyone of infinitly many superpositions of the allowed eigenstates.

The question is really asking for the number of possible measured values of the electron's speed below the given value. This is related to the energy eigenstates.

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
Saptarshi Sarkar said:
Edit: The question was printed wrong, the confinement distance should be 10Å instead of 0.1. Answer comes out as 27.

I was just going to suggest this. Whatever you did, you got the same answer as the number of energy states for an infinite potential well.

Last edited:
Likes Saptarshi Sarkar and BvU
Saptarshi Sarkar said:
From the pdf it seems obvious that your approach was what was intended. So an error in the book answer is the most likely explanation. And @PeroK clinched it.

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
I was thinking about why the two answers should be same and I came up with an explanation

For a particle of mass m stuck in the x-axis from 0 to L and having maximum magnitude of momentum p

1) From phase space approach

No of microstates , ##m = \frac {L2p} {h}##

2) From considering an infinite square well

Maximum energy of particle

##E_{max} = \frac {p^2} {2m} = \frac {n_{max}^2π^2h^2} {8mπ^2L^2}##

=> ##n_{max} = \frac {2pL} {h}##

So, ##m = n_{max}##

Likes PeroK

1. What is the concept of "No. of Quantum states available"?

The number of quantum states available refers to the number of distinct energy levels or configurations that a quantum system can exist in. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the different ways in which a quantum system can be described.

2. How is the number of quantum states available calculated?

The number of quantum states available is calculated using the formula N = 2^n, where n is the number of quantum particles in the system. This is because each particle can exist in two distinct states, either spin up or spin down, resulting in a total of 2^n possible configurations for the system.

3. How does the number of quantum states available affect the behavior of a system?

The number of quantum states available has a direct impact on the behavior of a system. As the number of states increases, the system becomes more complex and can exhibit behaviors such as superposition and entanglement, which are unique to quantum systems.

4. Can the number of quantum states available be changed?

No, the number of quantum states available for a given system is determined by its physical properties and cannot be changed. However, the system can transition between these states through processes such as absorption or emission of energy.

5. What is the significance of the number of quantum states available in quantum computing?

The number of quantum states available is a crucial factor in quantum computing as it determines the processing power and speed of a quantum computer. The more quantum states available, the more complex calculations the computer can perform, leading to greater computational capabilities compared to traditional computers.