No one has made a program to solve these yet?

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary, this person is trying to develop a program that can solve captchas by analyzing images and finding spaces. They explain that this is a difficult problem and that spammers use man-in-the-middle attacks to solve them. They also mention that there are other problems with the solution, such as that the letters are skewed and close together. They suggest that someone try to develop a more robust solution using a convolutional network.
Jamin2112
I'm going to try and be of aid to spammers and hackers by making a program that solves these:

GmQH0g1.png

Can't be too hard. Here's a procedure I'm going to implement:

Given an m x n array of pixels known to contain a letter among a bunch of noise, convert the pixels to their RGB values, give the array a binary mask, then calculate the correlation coefficient between it and each of the m x n binary arrays that would represent images of upper and lower case letters. The one that yields the greatest correlation coefficient will be assumed to be the letter.

Make sense?

Technology news on Phys.org
For instance, I look at the correlation coefficient between the values of binary-masked arrays representing

zmdiAUS.png

and

http://www.ourdesigns.com/sites/odi/images/fullsize/REX00LB1S.jpg

after resizing, of course.

It's hard. That's why spammers just use man-in-the-middle attacks to solve these.
(I.E. they set up a website where people have to solve these to download pirated movies or something.)

Likes 1 person
A priori it is easy to solve captchas - for humans. We are are hard-wired (by evolution of predator avoidance strategies) to see things that are not the way they are normally presented.

As it stands now, captchas are not even remotely simple to solve by any known algorithms. It is a very hard problem. Please try. Maybe you can find something in graph theory that does it.

How do you know the spacing, size, and location of the letters so that you can pick out mxn arrays that contain only 1 letter and not multiple letters, no letters, and partial letters? I think identifying a letter out of an image that is known to only contain 1 letter and noise is easier than taking an image that contains an unknown number of letters at unknown locations and in the presence of noise and intentional size and alignment distortions dividing that image up into groups of single letters.

Last edited:
http://deathbycaptcha.com
http://decaptcha.biz/
http://decaptcha.net/

I've also worked on one myself using mathematica. Its not easy. REALLY. Some use neural networks to learn characters for the OCR.

Floid said:
How do you know the spacing, size, and location of the letters so that you can pick out mxn arrays that contain only 1 letter and not multiple letters, no letters, and partial letters? I think identifying a letter out of an image that is known to only contain 1 letter and noise is easier than taking an image that contains an unknown number of letters at unknown locations and in the presence of noise and intentional size and alignment distortions dividing that image up into groups of single letters.

Thats one of the first problems. Theres many ways. I wrote something that erodes the image to find spaces, looks at average distances between spaces, disregards those beyond some standard deviation from the mean, and compute the average character width, and try to split it up.

But then if the image is skewed or tilted, yoou have to fix that first.

If someone could make one, i guess its AI :confused:

To do that you'd first have to identify the sub-matrices that may contain letters, which may not be easy. Assuming that you could separate letters with high accuracy, I think you're solution would perform perform poorly on most captchas. Other problems are that the letters are usually skewed and put very close together where a sub-matrix of a letter may contain parts of other letters. You need a more robust representation of the images that is invariant to transformations such as resizing and skewing.

This is a computer vision problem, and I think the current best performing methods are convolutional networks with other tricks like dropout, so I'd probably try train those for this problem.

It's a pretty hard problem. I have trouble deciphering captchas myself.

DavidSnider said:
It's hard. That's why spammers just use man-in-the-middle attacks to solve these.
(I.E. they set up a website where people have to solve these to download pirated movies or something.)
Thanks for the epiphany. I never heard of this but it makes perfect sense. Why try to solve something difficult when you can let someone else unknowingly solve it for you? :cool:

1. What do you mean by "program to solve these"?

A program to solve these refers to a computer program or algorithm that can find a solution or answer to a specific problem or task.

2. Why hasn't anyone made a program to solve these yet?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be a complex problem that requires advanced technology or expertise. It could also be that the problem is relatively new and researchers are still working on finding a solution.

3. Is it possible to create a program to solve these in the future?

Yes, it is possible. With advancements in technology and research, it is possible that a program can be developed in the future to solve these problems.

4. Are there any ongoing research or projects to create a program to solve these?

Yes, there are always ongoing research and projects to find solutions to various problems. It is possible that there are ongoing efforts to create a program to solve these as well.

5. What impact would a program to solve these have on society?

A program to solve these could have a significant impact on society by providing solutions to complex problems, increasing efficiency, and improving quality of life. It could also open up new possibilities for technological advancements and innovations.