Americans: Time to Join the Global Warming Fight!

In summary, the low temperature this morning was 22°F (-5.6°C). The forecast low for the next few days is between 20-30°F (-6 to -1°C). The recent blizzard and forecast low temps should not have any negative impact on us. I've had to put out a LOT of seeds every day for the birds. The warm weather lured the finches and juncos north. The ground is covered by 1-1/2 feet of new snow and the finches are relying on me for food. At any given time, there may be 50-100 birds swarming around the feeders - mostly goldfinches.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Physics news on Phys.org
But I love peaches and blueberries:cry:

Yeah, we're trying to conserve on energy so we turned down the heat.

Guess we overdid it a bit.

We had a low temperature of about 22°F (-5.6°C) this morning. It is supposed to be between 20-30°F (-6 to -1°C) overnight for the next 3 or 4 days.

We were forecast to go down to 18F last night. I've had to run the heater all week. I've probably lost all of my peaches and the few pears.

Luckily, all the fruit trees and berry bushes here are still in dormancy, so the recent blizzard and forecast low temps shouldn't have any negative impact on us. I have had to put out a LOT of seeds every day for the birds, though. The warm weather lured the finches and juncos north and with the ground covered by 1-1/2 feet of new snow, they're relying on me for food. At any given time, there may be 50-100 birds swarming around the feeders - mostly goldfinches.

turbo-1 said:
Luckily, all the fruit trees and berry bushes here are still in dormancy, so the recent blizzard and forecast low temps shouldn't have any negative impact on us. I have had to put out a LOT of seeds every day for the birds, though. The warm weather lured the finches and juncos north and with the ground covered by 1-1/2 feet of new snow, they're relying on me for food. At any given time, there may be 50-100 birds swarming around the feeders - mostly goldfinches.
Get out there and take more pictures!:wink:

larkspur said:
Get out there and take more pictures!:wink:
OK

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/9127/cangoosesharppy2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Goldfinches in the NE US

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/8697/goldfinches1005685ov2.jpg

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/179/goldfinch1005697zn6.jpg

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/9539/goldfinch1005692aj1.jpg

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6504/goldfinch1005688zl5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is global warming and how does it affect Americans?

Global warming refers to the long-term increase in the Earth's average temperature, primarily caused by human activities such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation. This leads to a range of negative impacts on Americans, including more frequent and severe natural disasters, disruptions to food and water supplies, and health risks.

2. How can Americans help in the fight against global warming?

There are many ways Americans can contribute to the fight against global warming, such as reducing their carbon footprint by using renewable energy sources, driving less, and choosing sustainable products. They can also support policies and legislation that promote clean energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

3. What role do American industries play in global warming?

American industries, particularly the fossil fuel industry, are major contributors to global warming. This is because they emit large amounts of greenhouse gases through their production processes and use of energy. However, these industries also have the potential to play a significant role in reducing emissions and transitioning to a more sustainable future.

4. Is global warming really caused by human activity, or is it a natural phenomenon?

The overwhelming majority of scientific evidence shows that human activities are the primary cause of global warming. While natural factors such as volcanic eruptions and changes in solar activity can also contribute to fluctuations in the Earth's temperature, they cannot explain the rapid and sustained warming that has been observed in recent decades.

5. What are the consequences if Americans do not take action against global warming?

If Americans do not take action against global warming, the consequences will be severe. These include more frequent and severe natural disasters, rising sea levels, more intense heat waves, and disruptions to food and water supplies. There will also be significant economic costs, as well as health risks from increased air pollution and the spread of diseases.